Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 23rd Feb 19, 5:11 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 26Thanks
    toomsie
    Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations
    • 23rd Feb 19, 5:11 PM
    Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations 23rd Feb 19 at 5:11 PM
    Down Crystal Palace in Sainsburys Gas Station at the weekend. I have noticed something interesting. This was brought to my attention by a neighbour who also does this. Actually, I was very surprised that your average poor person does this, let alone someone who owns luxury or sports cars like Mercs, BMWs and Landrover SUVs.

Fill up their tank half full of gas. They either do this because it feels like they are not spending much or they actually don't have money at that time.

I am working class with a Ford Focus MK2 station wagon 1.6. I only do this when I am using an expensive gas station.
    Last edited by toomsie; 23-02-2019 at 5:15 PM.
Page 3
    • CARRYONFILM12
    • By CARRYONFILM12 30th May 19, 6:10 AM
    • 2,102 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    CARRYONFILM12
    I don't see any petrol station as being cheap.

The more weight you carry as well.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 30th May 19, 7:15 AM
    • 10,695 Posts
    • 9,651 Thanks
    prowla
    I will often fill up the car before going for a long drive, or even if I'm at the supermarket and thus there anyway, rather than making a special trip.
    • boomer69
    • By boomer69 30th May 19, 5:28 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    boomer69
    I don't see any petrol station as being cheap.

The more weight you carry as well.
    Originally posted by CARRYONFILM12
    Dont you understand the difference between cheap and cheapest ?
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 8th Oct 19, 10:42 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    Rapeseed oil's cheap. So cheap in fact that SE England had (politically speaking) too many people using it, hence the congestion charge, ULEZ etc. Old "diesel" cars off the road, newer diesels have to be fuelled with proper diesel. Tax $£$£$ fo da man!
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 8th Oct 19, 10:55 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Like Robisere, I have to plan my top ups, as not many of the petrol stations have long opening hours either in Lincs. In an ideal world, I'd probably fill up only when needed but I know I'll use the fuel before it goes off anyway so I might as well top up when I get the chance, even if it's only a tenner's worth.

Can't put a fivers worth in anymore.

Simply won't get you anywhere.
    Originally posted by decbel
    I put in exactly that the other day when I returned a loan car to Honda because it's all I used.
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 8th Oct 19, 11:51 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    Down Crystal Palace in Sainsburys Gas Station at the weekend. I have noticed something interesting. This was brought to my attention by a neighbour who also does this. Actually, I was very surprised that your average poor person does this, let alone someone who owns luxury or sports cars like Mercs, BMWs and Landrover SUVs.

Fill up their tank half full of gas. They either do this because it feels like they are not spending much or they actually don't have money at that time.

I am working class with a Ford Focus MK2 station wagon 1.6. I only do this when I am using an expensive gas station.
    Originally posted by toomsie
    Some of my cars need high octane fuel to run well, and I try to make sure that thatís what they get.

If I find myself caught short, and needing to go to a station that doesnít sell what I need Iíll stick in the minimum amount to get me to somewhere where I can then fill up with the right sort of petrol.

Thereís nothing strange about this at all.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 10th Oct 19, 2:08 AM
    • 40,932 Posts
    • 90,860 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I go to my local gas station and fill my car with gas, irrespective of how much ullage there is in the tank. There is only one gas station near where I live so I have no choice but to go there.
    If I pass somewhere when I am out and about that sells cheaper gas then I will stop and fill up. Even if it is less than half a tank-full it is still a saving.

I do not see why anyone would think this is strange.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

2,265Users online

Martin's Twitter