Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 4:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 7:00 PM.
Page 13
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 28th May 19, 11:24 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I agree it doesn't mention its a credit but it is deducted from the bill.
    • steve900
    • By steve900 28th May 19, 11:27 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    steve900
    They are clueless and they should be closed
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 29th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm not seeing your posts mable. Getting notifications but no post when I visit here
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 29th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    I'm not seeing your posts mable. Getting notifications but no post when I visit here
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    To be honest I have been feeling very guilty at some things I have said in haste and realised I needed to take a chill pill. I then went through my posts and deleted some. However that said this is how it all panned out.

After receiving the revised bill no 2 and see the 30 was still shown as unpaid I sent Deepak, Sham, and accounts an email advising if I did not hear from them by close of business today I would cancel the dd and deduct the 30 and make a manual paper for the rest.

At 12.45pm today I received a revised bill and the 30 was deducted but the 5.00 bonus had also disappeared. I sent an email to Deepak who responding in a timely manner and apologised and then received another revised bill with the 5 was now taken into account.

So at the end of the day all has worked out well and the dd remains in place. To be fair to Deepak he had been on holiday and only just returned. Not sure what happened to Sham who just seem to give up on me. However I may be wrong there.

Today is a new chapter in the life of Symbio for me and fingers crossed no more teething problems.

Many thanks for your support.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 29th May 19, 6:22 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    What a palava. But you got what you were promised so fair play.

I am not quick to criticise any company especially new upstarts but symbio are trying my patience

However that said all is well with my bill now. But we need to be able to log in to our accounts to give meter readings
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 30th May 19, 2:20 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm still not getting logged into the portal. Error message appears after a while - the underlying provider failed on open

Any one else been successful
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 30th May 19, 6:59 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    I was getting the same response but just tried logging in and hey presto now working fine.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 13th Jun 19, 3:30 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    I note that every time I give them a meter read I get the usual auto response message and then the next day I receive an email from Customer service advising the read has been sent to the body that validates the reads. This happens to me every time. Not bothered but they should learn to trust their customers.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 13th Jun 19, 3:40 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Yes I noticed that too. I assume its a kind of automated response. Either that or symbio don't do the billing themselves and use an external company. That would explain the almighty cockup with our bills last time around. I await my next bill with bated breath. That said everything did get sorted out eventually
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 18th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    My new bill arrived yesterday evening for the energy consumed and then a subsequent blll arrived showing the previous bill unpaid. Also the meter reads I had provided on a regular basis had been used to formulate the actual electricity used and with the follow up bill this was based on an estimate because that is calculated up until 1st July.

So based on their previous communications and the fact they have said payment to be taken in advance everything looks in order to me.
    • Dizzee Rebel
    • By Dizzee Rebel 18th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Dizzee Rebel
    My bill arrived yesterday aswell, all checked and correct - right down to the last penny

The only issue I have and I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a Santander 123 account & earn 2% cashback on energy bills.

For some reason Santander don't recognise Symbio as an energy provider. Its not a massive problem, but does mean I'm missing out on an extra few a year.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th Jun 19, 7:05 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I had this non recognition of symbio as an energy provider with my natwest rewards account

I kept on and on at the rewards customer service people insisting that they recognise symbio (an ofgem licensed electricity provider for domestic supplies)

Eventually they did and backdated all my rewards. Initially they kept insisting symbio was a business only supplier but I put them right (apparantly symbio were business only initially)

Keep on at santander. Tell them natwest rewards recognise them. Ask them why they don't recognise symbio but recognise defunct companies like iresa

Good luck
    • info addict
    • By info addict 2nd Jul 19, 3:27 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    info addict
    My bill arrived yesterday aswell, all checked and correct - right down to the last penny

The only issue I have and I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a Santander 123 account & earn 2% cashback on energy bills.

For some reason Santander don't recognise Symbio as an energy provider. Its not a massive problem, but does mean I'm missing out on an extra few a year.
    Originally posted by Dizzee Rebel
    Contacted Santander yesterday and they have just confirmed today that they have added Symbio to their list of approved suppliers.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 4th Jul 19, 7:03 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    Latest ramblings from Symbio received this very day.

We would like to sincerely apologise if you have had issues with your bills being reconciled with your meter reads being supplied. We are working towards fixing our customer portal which should be ready in 3 -4 weeks. We will keep you informed with updates when it will be ready.

In the meantime please can you continue to email your reads to meterreads@symbioenergy.co.uk if you cannot do so through the customer portal.

Current Billing Cycle
    The current tariff you are on means that you will be billed one month in advance based upon your EAC (estimated annual consumption). This was given to us at the point of your registration. We divide this by 365 days and arrive at a daily consumption rate which is then multiplied by the number of days for the month we are billing in advance.

For Example:

EAC = 3100 KwH

3100KwH / 365 days = 8.49 KwH per day.

July has 31 days, therefore we would bill 31 x 8.49 KwH = 263.19 KwH for the month. This is then applied to your rates for the single or dual (day and night) tariff that you are on. The standing charge will also be added for the number of days being billed.

The monthly billing cycle occurs between the 2nd of the current month until the 1st of the following month. E.g. 02/07/19 to 01/08/19.

We aim to bill every customer by the 7th of every month and collections of payment occurs up to 7 days after unless agreed otherwise. Should we be delayed in the billing we will inform you accordingly to let you know.

Meter Read Adjustments
    We have now changed our systems so that we can adjust the coming bill with your monthly plan. This will mean immediate reconciliation will be done on a monthly basis.

Please see the following example to understand this better:

The consumption for the previous month was based upon your EAC of 8.49 KwH a day. This was for the period of 02/06/19 to 01/07/19 (30 Days). The total consumption you were charged for was 254.7 KwH (8.49 KwH x 30 days).

If your opening meter read on 02/06/19 was 4000 and the closing was 4200 then you total consumption for the period was 200 KwH. Therefore, you have paid an additional 54.7KwH.

The July 19 bill would be forward billed therefore, no meter reads can be given for this period. As stated in the example under the ‘Current Billing Cycle’ heading the July 19 bill would be billed at 254.7 KwH.

However, from the meter reads you have supplied we would deduct 54.7KwH and only bill you for 200 KwH to adjust the over payment and reconcile this with your actual bill. Therefore, your monthly total collected may change. There could be an increase if the meter reads are higher than the estimated bill from the previous month too.

We respectfully ask that you submit all meter reads by the 2nd of every month so that we can bill you accordingly and make the necessary adjustments from the previous month. If any meter reads are given after this date, then it will be included in the next month’s bill. If no meter read is provided by this date, then we will continue to bill based upon EAC.

We will send email reminders for meter reads on a monthly basis and you are free to submit this to us at your convenience. We will be billing on the 10th – 11th July 2019 and will consider any reads submitted by the 6th of July 2019. All reads thereafter will be considered in your next monthly bill.

Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are constantly working to provide you the best service possible and aim to continue to do so.

unquote

Its just too much for an old lady to take in on this hot summers day!!!!!!!!!!
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 4th Jul 19, 9:21 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Yes I thought it was quite lengthy. On a plus though not one language inaccuracy in that epic
    • FelineFunk
    • By FelineFunk 5th Jul 19, 4:47 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    FelineFunk
    From their website, under about us, it says:

We are an innovative provider and will lead the energy industry by example. Symbio inspires change and will be switching to green energy to tackle climate change. Low Prices, No Fixed-term Contracts, and No Penalties. Simple and Fair.
    However, when I just obtained an online quote I was offered 3 tariffs, the first two of which are fixed for 12 months

Whilst the first tariff, Symbio Monthly DD Fixed July 2019 v2, has no early exit fee, the second offering, Symbio Summer Saver 19 v3, appears to have a 25 early exit fee.

Never good to see a supplier, especially a new one, contradicting themselves on their own website.

Reminds me of another new-ish supplier starting with 'S' that once proudly claimed thay did not believe in daily standing charges; today they only offer tariffs with daily standing charges (and their feedback on this site is somewhat lacking)
    • FelineFunk
    • By FelineFunk 5th Jul 19, 4:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    FelineFunk
    Latest ramblings from Symbio received this very day.

We would like to sincerely apologise if you have had issues with your bills being reconciled with your meter reads being supplied. We are working towards fixing our customer portal which should be ready in 3 -4 weeks. We will keep you informed with updates when it will be ready.

In the meantime please can you continue to email your reads to meterreads@symbioenergy.co.uk if you cannot do so through the customer portal.

Current Billing Cycle
    The current tariff you are on means that you will be billed one month in advance based upon your EAC (estimated annual consumption). This was given to us at the point of your registration. We divide this by 365 days and arrive at a daily consumption rate which is then multiplied by the number of days for the month we are billing in advance.

For Example:

EAC = 3100 KwH

3100KwH / 365 days = 8.49 KwH per day.

July has 31 days, therefore we would bill 31 x 8.49 KwH = 263.19 KwH for the month. This is then applied to your rates for the single or dual (day and night) tariff that you are on. The standing charge will also be added for the number of days being billed.

The monthly billing cycle occurs between the 2nd of the current month until the 1st of the following month. E.g. 02/07/19 to 01/08/19.

We aim to bill every customer by the 7th of every month and collections of payment occurs up to 7 days after unless agreed otherwise. Should we be delayed in the billing we will inform you accordingly to let you know.

Meter Read Adjustments
    We have now changed our systems so that we can adjust the coming bill with your monthly plan. This will mean immediate reconciliation will be done on a monthly basis.

Please see the following example to understand this better:

The consumption for the previous month was based upon your EAC of 8.49 KwH a day. This was for the period of 02/06/19 to 01/07/19 (30 Days). The total consumption you were charged for was 254.7 KwH (8.49 KwH x 30 days).

If your opening meter read on 02/06/19 was 4000 and the closing was 4200 then you total consumption for the period was 200 KwH. Therefore, you have paid an additional 54.7KwH.

The July 19 bill would be forward billed therefore, no meter reads can be given for this period. As stated in the example under the ‘Current Billing Cycle’ heading the July 19 bill would be billed at 254.7 KwH.

However, from the meter reads you have supplied we would deduct 54.7KwH and only bill you for 200 KwH to adjust the over payment and reconcile this with your actual bill. Therefore, your monthly total collected may change. There could be an increase if the meter reads are higher than the estimated bill from the previous month too.

We respectfully ask that you submit all meter reads by the 2nd of every month so that we can bill you accordingly and make the necessary adjustments from the previous month. If any meter reads are given after this date, then it will be included in the next month’s bill. If no meter read is provided by this date, then we will continue to bill based upon EAC.

We will send email reminders for meter reads on a monthly basis and you are free to submit this to us at your convenience. We will be billing on the 10th – 11th July 2019 and will consider any reads submitted by the 6th of July 2019. All reads thereafter will be considered in your next monthly bill.

Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are constantly working to provide you the best service possible and aim to continue to do so.

unquote

Its just too much for an old lady to take in on this hot summers day!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by MABLE
    This seems a vey long-winded way to say what their term 3.3.6 says:

3.3.6. Symbio Energy will invoice the customer in advance on the basis of the estimated annual energy consumption of the premises receiving the energy supply. The amount taken on the first direct debit will vary depending on when in the month, the switch to Symbio Energy has happened. Thereafter, the customer will receive a bill based upon the EAC or actual meter read. The invoice amount will be deducted from the monies held on account and an amount equivalent to the estimated monthly usage will be taken via direct debit. At the end of the deemed contract, the customer will be
    given a refund if Symbio Energy is holding onto any credit balances or a final direct debit amount will be taken to settle any outstanding invoices.
    What worries me though is what has happened to terms 3.3.1, 3.3.2, 3.3.3, and 3.3.4

I think the above must relate to smart metered customers as term 3.5 says:
    3.5. If you have a standard meter, you must either pay the amount shown on your bill in accordance with your chosen payment method or the fixed monthly amount you have agreed to pay in advance. The is detailed in the tariff you have chosen.
    which nicely couples with term 3.18 amongst others
    3.18. Symbio Energy aims to review the amount, date and frequency of your automatic payments at least twice a year to make sure you’re not paying too much or too little. When we intend to make any changes to your automatic payment, we will notify you by email (normally 10 working days) in advance of the payment being taken, or such other period as we may agree.
    Last edited by FelineFunk; 05-07-2019 at 5:02 PM.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th Jul 19, 6:47 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Received latest bill today and I'm very happy with it. As promised symbio are now taking our meter readings into consideration and revising our bills. They use a method called variance units. In my case 5.04 overpayment has been returned to me

Seems a bit overcomplicated to me. All they need to do is email us. Ask for a reading on such a date and bill us. But in effect what they do is calculate an estimated bill based on your estimated annual usage you supplied at sign up

They then compare this to any readings you have supplied and reimburse the difference

Weird but I'm happy with the cost and service I'm getting now

Saving money that's what it's all about after all
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 20th Jul 19, 12:20 PM
    • 3,905 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    MABLE
    My bill arrived on the 16 July and thought everything seemed in order. However they have now sent another bill yesterday apologising for the error and have revised the bill down to 20 from 34.00. Even now I am at a loss how they arrived at the new figure as I give them a meter reading and picture of meter every day to avoid any errors. Oh well I have tried.
    • elucidate
    • By elucidate 23rd Jul 19, 4:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    elucidate
    Last week, I initiated a dual-fuel switch to a variable Orbit Energy tariff, saving 12 on gas, and 109 on electricity per year.

Whilst still being in the cooling-off period, I noticed yesterday that I could save 125 on electricity by switching to Symbio, the upside being it's a fixed tariff with no exit fee, the downside being I'll have to stick to my existing gas supplier, as Orbit do not support gas-only supply.

The net difference between dual-fuelling to Orbit, and switching only electricity to Symbio, is 4 for the year. But I decided to go for Symbio because it's fixed. Hopefully it was the right decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

796Posts Today

7,754Users online

Martin's Twitter