Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsSippi
    • By MrsSippi 3rd Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    • 278Posts
    • 404Thanks
    MrsSippi
    0 WOW
    How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl?
    • 3rd Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    0 WOW
    How much of a shop can be done at Aldi/Lidl? 3rd Sep 18 at 5:23 PM
    I currently do 80% of my shopping at either Aldi or Lidl (we are lucky enough to have them both within half an hours drive) and do a toiletries shop in Asda. The reason for the Asda trip has primarily been because my youngest was still in pull ups at night so I would get these from Asda (lidl/aldi pull ups don't seem to last throughout the night) so thought while I'm there I might as well get some other bits that I find aren't great in Lidl or Aldi.

For example DH tried both aldi and lidl deodorants but didn't find them any good so we reverted back to a branded option he preferred. There were some other products (washing powder being one) that I tried Aldi and Lidl versions but wasn't that impressed with so again, went back to using our preferred branded make. I can get all my cleaning bits from Aldi or Lidl with the sole exception of Stardrops which I love and am lucky enough to be able to get in Asda.

Anyhow, dd is starting to have dry nights so I'm hoping to be able to stop buying pull ups altogether soon and I am wondering if I decided to go to Asda say once every 2-3 months and stocked up on the above mentioned products and a couple of other toiletries, would it be possible to just stick solely with Aldi and Lidl in the meantime?

I know there is a thread somewhere listing good and bad products for both shops but I am thinking more in a whats available (i. e. what do they sell) sense and how much of your shopping list do you manage to get at Aldi and/or Lidl?
    Last edited by MrsSippi; 03-09-2018 at 5:30 PM.
Page 6
    • meer53
    • By meer53 23rd Sep 18, 5:36 PM
    • 9,559 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    meer53
    [QUOTE=Pollycat;74817349]Charlotte new potatoes are great for wedges. I used to buy them from Tesco but they're even cheaper in Aldi.

Missing from the shelves in Aldi:
    Magnum lime washing up liquid. Don't know if it was just a stock issue when I went at the beginning of this week or if they've dropped it from their stock altogether.[/QUOTE]

Back in my Aldi this week.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 23rd Sep 18, 10:27 PM
    • 12,305 Posts
    • 32,835 Thanks
    suki1964
    I've read this thread as I have been thinking recently about trying Aldi/Lidl for shopping as I have noticed quite an increase in my grocery bills lately. I normally shop at Morrisons, which is just a 5 minute drive for me, however just lately I have noticed that, apart from price increases, there is also a distinct shortage of stock on the shelves. As I now have an regular activity which takes me near both Aldi and Lidl, I thought I would try them. Previously it was the distance which stopped me from going there, plus I'm not very keen on shopping so I like the fact that I can whizz round my local Morries (until they change it) and get what I want, and the thought of having to "find" things in a new place puts me off (I know, I know - first world problems etc.). Anyway, what I am asking is if it is significantly cheaper to shop at A or L rather than Morrisons? Most posts seem to compare Tesco/Sainsburys/Waitrose but not Morries. I am a fairly plain eater (breakfast=porridge/crumpets; lunch=sandwich (cheese/ham/egg); dinner=lasagne/risotto/chilli/omelette/meat and veg - all homemade) and live alone. I think I would have to buy cat food elsewhere as I have an old, fussy cat, but that's about all I am "faithful" to brandwise. Any thoughts? I am going to pay a visit this week to one of them, then try the other the next to compare.
    Originally posted by dreaming

Yes

Plus you have the pleasure of being in and out in 15 mins for a weeks shop

Lidl cat food is excellent if your cat will accept the change. Grain free etc, for the price of a budget food. Litter is less the £2 a sack

If your shop is mainly high processed food then perhaps lidl isn't the place for you ( we don't have Aldi so I cant comment) but as a scratch cook, Ive no problems with the quality of lidl products and feed us 3 extremely well on what could be considered as fresh air
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • MrsSippi
    • By MrsSippi 24th Sep 18, 9:41 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MrsSippi
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. Sorry for not checking in sooner, I have been away. This thread has been massively helpful and I have picked up some great tips so thank you.

We have got a Lidl a 10 min car drive away and an Aldi 30 mins away (so I don't mind going there once or twice a month and stocking up a bit). Personally I find with our nearest shops that I prefer aldi for everything except their fruit and veg, which is diabolical quality. I've stopped buying it from there as it all went mouldy within a day or two

I've even found that the quality of the fruit and veg in lidl as slipped a bit recently which is disappointing but I'll stick with it for now.

On the other hand I have got a bit lazy and been buying everything from lidl recently as its a bit closer but want to get back to using aldi again. I can always get a few extra bits in lidls when I get fresh stuff every week.

Our grocery spend has been getting a bit out of hand recently (mainly due to lack of proper meal planning - I get fed up with doing it all the time and think I've hit a bit of a wall) so really need to get back on track, especially as we have reviewed finances recently and we only have a teeny £200 pm left over which is bloomin' tiny so really can't afford to be eating into this

I'm going to test all this at the weekend as that is when I will be doing my bigger shop at Aldi so think that with a bit of planning (coupled with the fact that I've stocked up on toiletries for the next couple of months) I can stick solely to aldi and lidl and get a handle on my shopping budget again. Fingers crossed....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 24th Sep 18, 10:21 AM
    • 8,198 Posts
    • 54,289 Thanks
    kerri gt

Lidl cat food is excellent if your cat will accept the change. Grain free etc, for the price of a budget food. Litter is less the £2 a sack
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I shall tell that to my moggie who used to eat it...then decided to turn her nose up at it and will now not touch it.

Aldi cat food she will however eat....obviously...because I don't really have an aldi that is overly convenient to get to, so it's trip to Sainsbob's for cat food for her (our local Tesco Metro is next to useless for ...well just about anything).
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Sep 18, 11:10 AM
    • 12,305 Posts
    • 32,835 Thanks
    suki1964
    I shall tell that to my moggie who used to eat it...then decided to turn her nose up at it and will now not touch it.

Aldi cat food she will however eat....obviously...because I don't really have an aldi that is overly convenient to get to, so it's trip to Sainsbob's for cat food for her (our local Tesco Metro is next to useless for ...well just about anything).
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Mine is the same, tucked into it with gusto, I would even do a 40mile round trip to get it, then he decided he didn't like it any more and will now only eat Felix

Cats - who would have them
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 24th Sep 18, 12:02 PM
    • 23,853 Posts
    • 64,216 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Mine is the same, tucked into it with gusto, I would even do a 40mile round trip to get it, then he decided he didn't like it any more and will now only eat Felix

Cats - who would have them
    I'll take him off your hands.
    He sounds like my type of cat.
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 24th Sep 18, 12:32 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    dreaming
    Yes

Plus you have the pleasure of being in and out in 15 mins for a weeks shop

If your shop is mainly high processed food then perhaps lidl isn't the place for you ( we don't have Aldi so I cant comment) but as a scratch cook, Ive no problems with the quality of lidl products and feed us 3 extremely well on what could be considered as fresh air
    Thanks - cat is probably the main snag in the plan but I guess I can call into one of the others for his food (I always check where it is on offer anyway and stock up). He doesn't use a litter tray except when he has been ill.
    I don't buy very much processed food - just a few tins for emergencies. Just usual beans (all sorts)/tinned tomatoes/lentils etc. for making lasagnes/bolognese/chilli - plus fresh meat, cheese etc. I have switched over to mostly frozen veg. as living on my own I found I was struggling to use up fresh veg. quickly enough without eating the same thing for days on end. I don't mind 2 days running (love 2nd day lasagne) but there is a limit. Anyway, as I said, I will probably give them both a whirl over the next couple of weeks. The last time I tried Aldi it was very busy and like a rugby scrum for some things so I just wanted to leave. Maybe I just picked the wrong day/time to go.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Sep 18, 1:28 PM
    • 12,305 Posts
    • 32,835 Thanks
    suki1964
    I'll take him off your hands.
    He sounds like my type of cat.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Unfortunately he isn't well and we are having to come to a decision. Hes only two and has been in and out of the vets every week since June

He has feline Herpes which is coming out as eye ulcers which are extremely painful for him

Anyways to keep on topic, Im just back from my lidl and OMG, they seem to have gone completely Irish and have introduced lots of new products, all made from Irish produce, this on top of their French promotion week. I have to admit I went a bit mad and my bill came to a whopping £38 but Ive enough food in the house to see out a siege I think

Oh and something else thats new to us, they are putting in electric car charging ports so you can charge for free whilst shopping
    Last edited by suki1964; 24-09-2018 at 1:31 PM.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 24th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Awwww poor moggy I’ve not heard of that.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 24th Sep 18, 8:10 PM
    • 8,198 Posts
    • 54,289 Thanks
    kerri gt
    suki1964 sorry to hear poor mog isn't keeping well - I think in that case he's allowed to be as picky as he likes.

what kind of things did Lidl have for Irish food? I am out of the grocery budget until Wed but might pop in after that (though I did a load of batch cooking the other weekend and we're pretty well stocked with everything else so I'm not sure I need much really)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Sep 18, 8:19 PM
    • 31,381 Posts
    • 65,394 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Awwww poor moggy Iíve not heard of that.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Just as well. Ocular involvement is particularly nasty, and unfortunately not confined to pets.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Sep 18, 8:24 PM
    • 12,305 Posts
    • 32,835 Thanks
    suki1964
    suki1964 sorry to hear poor mog isn't keeping well - I think in that case he's allowed to be as picky as he likes.

what kind of things did Lidl have for Irish food? I am out of the grocery budget until Wed but might pop in after that (though I did a load of batch cooking the other weekend and we're pretty well stocked with everything else so I'm not sure I need much really)
    All sorts, from flavourings like spice mixes, to different flavoured sausages ( one lot had cabbage in them ), seasoned bacon joints, white pudding, quite a bit of processed chicken bits, flavoured burgers, smoked trout pate etc

These were all new products, not the usual names they stock, definitely more "artisan"

I picked up some of the sausages ( all 85% pork) some pate and some of the spice rubs.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Sep 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12,305 Posts
    • 32,835 Thanks
    suki1964
    Just as well. Ocular involvement is particularly nasty, and unfortunately not confined to pets.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    It is very nasty indeed

We are going to have to make a hard decision soon
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 27th Sep 18, 3:37 PM
    • 7,148 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    joedenise

Unless you live in Ireland you won't get the Irish themed food!

Lidl's have different offers for England, Ireland and Scotland!

Wish I had a Lidl nearer to me it's a 40 mile round trip but I much prefer it to Aldi which is a mere 16 mile round trip - but it's also just round the corner to Mr T's so I tend to split my shop between the 2 with some odd bits coming from £land; B&M or Iceland which are all on the way home from A & T's. I check prices for what I want at MySupermarket before I go and always have a list, which I don't usually go off unless there is a really good offer on something I regularly use but that doesn't happen very often.

Denise
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Oct 18, 4:39 AM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 9,434 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I am very impressed with this! But I feel that I have got to the point in life that I don't need to deprive myself of anything, besides which I'm happy to go to Lidl for a single item as the round trip gives me an hour's walk.

This week I bought some Imperial Leather shower gel (500ml+50% free) for 99p. Its been available for over eighteen months but has suddenly disappeared from the shelves of Poundland in favour of a much smaller bottle, so I stocked up. But otherwise Lidl's XXL shower gel is fine too.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    We were on holiday in a cottage last year. Someone had left some shower gel virtually unused in the bathroom. I tried it and was very pleased, it was thick and creamy with a delicate scent. I was impressed when a closer look revealed it was Aldi. I found some in the local Aldi and stocked up, cant remember exactly how much it was, but under £1.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 8th Oct 18, 4:43 AM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 9,434 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Unless you live in Ireland you won't get the Irish themed food!

Lidl's have different offers for England, Ireland and Scotland!

Wish I had a Lidl nearer to me it's a 40 mile round trip but I much prefer it to Aldi which is a mere 16 mile round trip - but it's also just round the corner to Mr T's so I tend to split my shop between the 2 with some odd bits coming from £land; B&M or Iceland which are all on the way home from A & T's. I check prices for what I want at MySupermarket before I go and always have a list, which I don't usually go off unless there is a really good offer on something I regularly use but that doesn't happen very often.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    It's a shame that you can't get some of the regional things in all the branches. OH likes haggis but is often told "we only sell it in Scotland". Unfortunately we are so far away another 20 miles and you'd be paddling in the English Channel We found the same thing in the Asda cafe, they advertised haggis as part of their breakfast but only available in Scotland
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Oct 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8,198 Posts
    • 54,289 Thanks
    kerri gt
    It's a shame that you can't get some of the regional things in all the branches. OH likes haggis but is often told "we only sell it in Scotland". Unfortunately we are so far away another 20 miles and you'd be paddling in the English Channel We found the same thing in the Asda cafe, they advertised haggis as part of their breakfast but only available in Scotland
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Our local Lidl does Scotch morning rolls now - closet I've found in England to the proper Scottish ones (sadly nowhere I've found to date does well fired rolls )....not exactly a wealth of Scottish fayre though.
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,727Posts Today

6,432Users online

Martin's Twitter