Vent Anchor Mobility

Options

Comments

• Norfox
    Norfox Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Suzial

They're not in Cambridge - they used a virtual suite in Babraham as a registered address, but only occasionally bothered to collect post. Their website now states they're on a business park in Felixstowe, but this is a vacant lot - they operate from a private property just down the road from it.
    Their registered address with Companies House is still Babraham, but they're not exactly the most legitimate company.

We've had the same experience as yourself and have filed a case with MCOL (Money Claims Online) for misleading and aggressive practices. They haven't entered a defence and so a default judgement will shortly be made. If they don't pay up then we'll go through the process of enforcing the judgement.

The advice to contact Suffolk Trading Standards is sound, as the more info they have the more likely it is that they can construct a case at some point - however, they won't be able to do anything on your behalf at this point.

I strongly recommend that you telephone or visit Citizens Advice, and also check out their website about taking legal action. There's a process that you need to adhere to in order to prove that you've tried everything possible to resolve the situation, including issuing a "letter before action", but once you've done that then you can take court action.

I really feel for you - these are the lowest of the low, preying on the elderly and infirm.

But Citizens Advice can guide you through the process of trying to recoup your father-in-law's money - do talk to them.

Given their last brush with the courts, whereby they probably avoided a custodial sentence because they promised to record all future meetings, let's hope that they get their comeuppance when Suffolk TS next get round to taking action against them.

Let me know if there's any other information you need, and all the best.
  • sue_mackellar
    Options
    We had an almost identical experience involving my elderly mother and step father.
    We have gone through the small claims court and have had a County Court Judgement Issued. We haven't yet proceeded to request the warrant as it appears that this company have a charge against them and it looks to me (I'm no expert) that all of their assets are covered by the charge.
    I think that this means that the bailiffs cannot take anything in payment to us because it is already assigned to the company with the charge.
    We have kept Suffolk Trading Standards (Marc Titford) informed all the way and can only hope that anyone else in the same position does the same.
    I sincerely hope that this man David Waters gets his just desserts because I for one will not rest until he does.
  • GillyW
    Options
    Do not have anything to do with Anchor Mobility/Mobility UK/Westminster Recliners, any company owned or run by the Waters family. My 95 year old cousin paid them £4,300 for 2 beds and heard nothing. I have been in touch with Citizen's Advice, Fraud UK, Trading Standards Suffolk, Local MPs, Banks, Watchdog, No 10 Downing St, Tony Heathington who did an article on this family, but all in vain. Only Trading Standards Suffolk and local MP came back to say there was little they could do - TS are limited by budget in taking these people to court and MP could do nothing. Fraud UK more or less said it was not worth the while and CA never even came back to me. It seems anyone can go into vunerable peoples' homes, pretend to sell them "bespoke" furniture, insist they pay by cash or cheque and then off they go. When things get rough, they set up another company, and pocket other peoples' hard earned money. IT IS A SCANDAL AND NO ONE SEEMS TO BE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WHO SAYS CRIME DOESN'T PAY.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds to me like somebody should get in touch with BBC Rogue Traders.
    Matt Alright would love to hear about these guys.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds to me like somebody should get in touch with BBC Rogue Traders.
    Matt Alright would love to hear about these guys.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/39lrGllp0Z249hwJSMclxG7/westminster-recliners

BBC have been there already.
  • GillyW
    Options
    What I do not understand is why Action Fraud do not consider there is enough evidence for them to pursue a criminal investigation. Recently there was a case of someone selling wedding decorations and when they did not come up with what was expected, the police got involved, and I think the monies involved were something like £2,000 - not the £4,000 that these people seem to be "stealing" from older and vulnerable people. How can the Waters Family and their cronies just move on to open up other companies. See below extract from letter received from Action Fraud. Also, Watchdog did investigate Westminster Recliners - the lady concerned did get a recliner chair which fell apart. Watchdog had a furniture expert look at the chair and it was not "bespoke", which is there get out clause for none cancellation or returning monies to customers, but of course, the furniture is not "bespoke", so isn't that fraud? I am at a loss to understand how someone can go into old peoples' homes and ask for cash or cheques and not supply the goods. Isn't that stealing? Of course we were told that it was no good going to small claims court as their bank account had been frozen because they owed so much money, so they just go ahead and open up a new business - how can they set up another bank account?
    Extract from Action Fraud letter:-
    All Action Fraud reports are passed to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau and we review every crime to identify investigative leads and opportunities to disrupt criminal activity. We have reviewed your report and I regret to inform you that we have not identified any leads that would result in a successful criminal investigation therefore your report has not been sent to a local police force or other enforcement organisation to commence an investigation at this time.
    Please be assured that we have not closed your report and it will continue to be reviewed against new information received from Action Fraud reports and other intelligence sources. If it is linked to an investigative opportunity in the future we will contact you.
  • HigglePiggle
    Options
    Ripping off vulnerable people

Ive had the unfortunate pleasure of coming into contact with David from Anchor Mobility. My father has advanced Parkinsons and lives in a care home, he was given an advertising flyer from Anchor Mobility. He asked me to arrange an appointment with them, as sitting watching TV is the only thing he does he felt justified in buying a comfortable chair.

I called them and arranged an appointment with David to call, where he sold my father 2 chairs for £4300. My father was charmed by this crock and asked me to hand over a cheque for the full amount. He left a temporary chair for my father, which my father thought was so thoughtful.

Ive tried calling every telephone number to ask about delivery, and then searched the web and found this site. Oh I feel so stupid.......... Anything I buy I research and compare sellers, reviews etc. But in this case stupidly followed my fathers instructions.

I can't believe people will be so low as to cheat the vulnerable and elderly, and in such an underhand way.

What do I do now??
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ripping off vulnerable people

Ive had the unfortunate pleasure of coming into contact with David from Anchor Mobility. My father has advanced Parkinsons and lives in a care home, he was given an advertising flyer from Anchor Mobility. He asked me to arrange an appointment with them, as sitting watching TV is the only thing he does he felt justified in buying a comfortable chair.

I called them and arranged an appointment with David to call, where he sold my father 2 chairs for £4300. My father was charmed by this crock and asked me to hand over a cheque for the full amount. He left a temporary chair for my father, which my father thought was so thoughtful.

Ive tried calling every telephone number to ask about delivery, and then searched the web and found this site. Oh I feel so stupid.......... Anything I buy I research and compare sellers, reviews etc. But in this case stupidly followed my fathers instructions.

I can't believe people will be so low as to cheat the vulnerable and elderly, and in such an underhand way.

What do I do now??
    Have you tried querying with the care home how this flyer came into his possession .That might be an eye opener.
  • GillyW
    Options
    Could I suggest that everyone who has had unfortunate dealings with Anchor Mobility/UK Mobility/Westminster Recliners contact Action Fraud and ask them to link it to complain reference NFRC161001585476 0300 123 2040. and Suffolk Trading Standards - their website is best way to get in touch, otherwise you have to go through Citizens Advice (who never came back to me!) so that they are aware that these people are crooks and need investigating urgently before they steal again. OR PERHAPS WE SHOULD ALL WRITE TO THE NATIONAL NEWSPAPERS, AGAIN!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it wise to put your reference on here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure