Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 2,261Posts
    • 14,554Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 3
    • sgun
    • By sgun 12th Jul 15, 6:01 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    sgun
    worming - Flubenvet. Verm-X does not work. Even if free ranging on a large space there is then a danger of pheasants and gapeworm. There will be lots of people who never worm and totally disagree with me but when you have seen the damage not worming can do you would use Flubenvet.

Dispatching - I have never been lucky enough to have a hen that has died naturally in her sleep. We only have 2 or three at any time and we don't cull when they stop laying, they get to live out their natural lives but with old age comes disease and when they start to suffer we chop their heads off. I am being graphic here as I think it is important that people know that you will have to find a way to do it. Taking them to the vets (and that could cost you over 20) is very stressful and prolonged. If you have a bird that trusts you and has been handled a lot then doing it yourself is by far the best option. Many tears have been shed!
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 12th Jul 15, 7:54 PM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    ali-t
    We introduced 6 new birds today to the large enclosure (seperated by fencing) and the established flock are very unhappy! I have never heard them so noisy and the cheekiest of the established flock is determined to murder a very large black rock. Im not sure how much is posturing and how much intent there is to do damage. Today we got 2 black tails, 1 black rock, 1 bluebell and 2 silver hylines. Im hoping peace will reign in the next week or so lol.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 13th Jul 15, 12:22 AM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 14,554 Thanks
    edwink
    We introduced 6 new birds today to the large enclosure (seperated by fencing) and the established flock are very unhappy! I have never heard them so noisy and the cheekiest of the established flock is determined to murder a very large black rock. Im not sure how much is posturing and how much intent there is to do damage. Today we got 2 black tails, 1 black rock, 1 bluebell and 2 silver hylines. Im hoping peace will reign in the next week or so lol.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    I am sure things will settle down in a few days time!! They are just trying to establish there pecking order. This always happens when new hens are introduced!! Sometimes it looks really awful when they are doing this!! But, there is almost not much you can do to stop it!!! They will certainly settle soon, ours did anyway!!!!

We have a bluebell hen. They can often end up being the boss and also the Black Rock can!!!

Hope that helps.

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck Hoppy, 24 ex-battery hens, RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 13th Jul 15, 9:54 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,547 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Ooooo a hen thread! I have 10 ladies.. No cockerel as we have a holiday let, and people on holiday don't always appreciate being woken at 4 am by a loud cockerel! Ours are a mixed bag.. The eldest is Speckles, and she's about 6. She's a Brahma. She doesn't lay much any more but she's a pet and we love her. Then we have a mix of Welsummer, Maran, and rescue MBJs (medium brown jobs). And a couple of white leghorn type. These don't really have names, but the the 4 MBJs are lovely and tame, considering where they came from. We have had cockerels in the past when we've hatched eggs, and they get dispatched for the pot once they start to crow. I don't like doing it, but I do, as I believe we have a responsibility to make sure it's done humanely and with as little suffering as possible. We vary a lot, between 4 and 9 eggs a day. And ours have a retirement, for as long as they are healthy.
    Ours are shut in a run at night, and are allowed to free range during the day usually. Depends on whether I'm around or not, as we have visits by Mr Fox in the past.

Great thread Edwink! Xx
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 18182 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
    • edwink
    • By edwink 13th Jul 15, 11:20 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 14,554 Thanks
    edwink
    Welcome to the hen thread Stepuptothepl8. and thank you for posting!!

So glad you allow your hens to retire, We do the same. I think of it as a thank you for all the lovely eggs they have provided us with when they were laying!!!

Mine have got rather wet today but have still spent time dust bathing as they have a nice dry area in the garden to do this. I do love watching them especially when they wash their necks.

Weather looks horrible here for the whole week!! But, better next week for them I am pleased to say. Mind you my ducks love it!!!

Edwink x
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Jul 15, 11:55 PM
    • 12,318 Posts
    • 32,866 Thanks
    suki1964
    Hmmmmmm

Looking like I have two Roos

Guess sexing chicks isn't an exact science

They were introduced to the grand kids this weekend, took it in their stride, even when being chased for ages. So that's them happy around wee folk and dog.

How old do they be before they start dust bathing? Ours are coming three months and don't seem at all interested in scratching up soil. We made a dry area for them and heaped on sand and shavings but they just sit there pecking at the leaves above them

Also do I need to get their wings clipped. ? And if so how do I go about it? Vets?

I guess also I need to worm them this week. Had them three weeks now. Their run is pretty big plus we poop scoop it daily as well as clean their coop daily

And another question, does their poo indicate health problems? Like I know with the dog by his poo if he's under the weather if you know what i mean. Just there's so many poos, some are white, some are solid and firm , others it's like omg run, she's pebble dashing everything....

Any advice for a very novice keeper?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • edwink
    • By edwink 14th Jul 15, 12:48 AM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 14,554 Thanks
    edwink
    How old do they be before they start dust bathing? Ours are coming three months and don't seem at all interested in scratching up soil. We made a dry area for them and heaped on sand and shavings but they just sit there pecking at the leaves above them.

Also do I need to get their wings clipped. ? And if so how do I go about it? Vets?

I guess also I need to worm them this week. Had them three weeks now. Their run is pretty big plus we poop scoop it daily as well as clean their coop daily

And another question, does their poo indicate health problems? Like I know with the dog by his poo if he's under the weather if you know what i mean. Just there's so many poos, some are white, some are solid and firm , others it's like omg run, she's pebble dashing everything.... Any advice for a very novice keeper?
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Hi Suki

They should start dust bathing on their own. But, if not like some of the rescue girls we have had. I just sit with them and carefully put the odd handful of dry soil on their backs. They may get up and shake it off. But, try and continue to do this. Once they leave it on there backs you can add some more. Then they will soon get the idea. When one of them grasps it the rest will follow.

With regards to clipping their feathers. this is normally only done if you do not have a roof over them or they start to fly high too much. Most can reach quite a height if they try. Just keep an good eye on them and see who is doing what. It may not be necessary at all. But, if you do feel it is necessary have a look on a reputable hen site to see how it is done. You don't actually clip their wings although it is normally called that. It is their feathers that are cut. We have to do this to 3 of our girls even though we have high fences otherwise they would end up in next doors garden and they have 2 dogs. So I am not going to let that happen. It is easily done if your girls are fairly tame as this does help when you need to handle them to clip their feathers.

With regards to worming there are a few products out there to choose from. Some of the layers pellets that are sold have worming medication already mixed in!! We use Verm-X and have had no problems with it. With Verm-X you do not have to withdraw the eggs. There have been a few posts lately on this thread about worming. Maybe have a refresh on some of the posts about it!! I hope that is some help.

On the subject of hen poo. As a rule they should be firm and not watery. Every now and again they will do one with a white top on it. This is perfectly normal. If you can, try and see which hen is pebble dashing as it could be a sign that she is not well. Just have a good look at all of them. Are they all walking about normally? Are any of them sitting on their own for any amount of time. Their eyes should be bright and not weepy. There nostrils should not have any discharge. That sort of thing to look out for. Also have a look at their bottoms and their bottom feathers. Their bottoms should be clean with no poop stuck on their feathers. If one is doing watery poo's it should show around her bottom. Remember that 80% of their poo is done at night!! Just keep an eye on them and if you suspect that one is not well you may need to separate her from the others for a while. Make sure they are all eating properly. Are they taking treat feed from you yet? If they are this could be a way of seeing if any of them has lost some of their appetite.

Hope some of this is of help to you!! Maybe others will also be able to give you some advice. Always worth having a look on-line about any problems. There is such a wealth of info you can find on there.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 14-07-2015 at 12:54 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jul 15, 5:56 AM
    • 29,828 Posts
    • 102,951 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'd wait and see if you need to do it at all.

We've been free ranging hens in a fenced orchard for around 5 years now, and of the 25 hens we've had, not one has flown over the 6' perimeter fence.

The 6' fence between sections of the orchard is a different matter. Some have flown that.

This suggests that among our hens, there's a definite awareness of where it's safe, which surprised me.
    Things are more like they are right now than they've ever been.

• stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 14th Jul 15, 6:50 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,547 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    I haven't needed to clip any of mine... I'd wait to see if you have any wanderers! Some of mine are braver than the others the MBJs are scroungers of the first order and will go and tap at the holiday let patio door in a shameless attempt to get bread.. they will also practically do tricks for mealworms I do love my girls
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 18182 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 14th Jul 15, 7:05 AM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    ali-t
    Hmmmmmm

Looking like I have two Roos

Guess sexing chicks isn't an exact science

They were introduced to the grand kids this weekend, took it in their stride, even when being chased for ages. So that's them happy around wee folk and dog.

How old do they be before they start dust bathing? Ours are coming three months and don't seem at all interested in scratching up soil. We made a dry area for them and heaped on sand and shavings but they just sit there pecking at the leaves above them

And another question, does their poo indicate health problems? Like I know with the dog by his poo if he's under the weather if you know what i mean. Just there's so many poos, some are white, some are solid and firm , others it's like omg run, she's pebble dashing everything....

Any advice for a very novice keeper?
    i found the chicken keeping for dummies book really helpful when i started out
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • Better Days
    • By Better Days 14th Jul 15, 8:31 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 12,578 Thanks
    Better Days
    Hmmmmmm

Dust bathing seems to be instinctual so they will probably start doing it when they feel like it. I have a deep plastic box in which I put some dry compost, DE and oyster shell grit. Because hens are nosy they jump in to have a look, start scratching around and before you know it they are dust bathing. Like any self respecting girl it can be a lengthy business - they can easily spend an hour in the bath. When I freshen up the box there is always a queue to get in and try out the nice 'clean' bath. Sometimes two hens bathe together, although solo seems to be preferred. But then, on occasion, a girl just can't wait.

It's fascinating watching them dust bath. They lie on their side with legs and wings akimbo, and with one leg scratch up the compost over themselves. They wriggle around and the compost gets into the depths of their feathers. They also close their eyes and 'duck' their heads under the compost. On a warm day with the sun shining they seem to go into a trance of bliss, making this low trilling sound of absolute contentment. It is very relaxing to watch them enjoying themselves so much.

In the winter I put the plastic box under the coop and it keeps dry enough so they can bath all year round.

Sometimes they make their own communal dust bath in their run or in the garden. I posted a photo on the daydream thread - here you are
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
    • edwink
    • By edwink 14th Jul 15, 9:30 AM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 14,554 Thanks
    edwink
    It's fascinating watching them dust bath. They lie on their side with legs and wings akimbo, and with one leg scratch up the compost over themselves. They wriggle around and the compost gets into the depths of their feathers. They also close their eyes and 'duck' their heads under the compost. On a warm day with the sun shining they seem to go into a trance of bliss, making this low trilling sound of absolute contentment. It is very relaxing to watch them enjoying themselves so much.
    Originally posted by Better Days
    Awwwwwww!!! Better days that is such a beautiful photo. The hens are really having "better days". Bless them. I really enjoyed reading your post. Thank you.

Edwink
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 14th Jul 15, 11:38 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 283,849 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Do many of you get monster eggs? My light Sussex likes to lay then frequently. The last one she did was on Saturday and it was a whopping 97g

Few weeks ago she did 4 in 5 days
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jul 15, 2:00 PM
    • 29,828 Posts
    • 102,951 Thanks
    Davesnave
    106g is the record here.

Had a 79g yesterday, but that's normally as big as they go.

• edwink
    • By edwink 14th Jul 15, 2:22 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 14,554 Thanks
    edwink
    I have never weighed any of our large eggs. We do get some occasionally. I will weigh one when I get one.

106g and 97g are whoppers. Well done those hens!!!

Thank you for posting on this friendly hen thread!!

Edwink
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 14th Jul 15, 5:57 PM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    ali-t
    Fellow henkeepers, how do you get rid of poo. Its the bane of my life. I have tried sweeping and raking the grass, mowing the lawn to sook up the poo with the grass and recently borrowed a leaf sucker/blower but cant find anythkng that works well. Im fed up traipsing it through the house, it getting stuck on shoes etc. The coops are cleaned out twice a week but the large enclosure is terrible and stinks after a few days. Now there are 10 ill be ankle deep in poo before i know it. Help!
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 14th Jul 15, 11:42 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 283,849 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    There is only one way I can get rid of poo and that's daily poo scooping I'm afraid

Some of the "fresher" ones or liquidy ones don't get scooped up straight away otherwise I'd be scooping my guts up too

Interested to hear if anyone else has a better way
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Jul 15, 1:25 AM
    • 12,318 Posts
    • 32,866 Thanks
    suki1964
    As a newbie hen keeper Im still poop scooping daily, and still the poo gets EVERYWHERE lol

So I got a cheapo pair of croc look alike's and leave them at the back door. Whoever is going out to the hens slips them on

We use a long handled shovel. just scoops it all up bar the runny ones, for their coop its the latex gloves, just grab it and chuck it in the compost bin

No smells yet, but its been teeming it down this week so the ground is getting waterlogged so I have a feeling its going to get harder to keep them clean
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 15th Jul 15, 7:09 AM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    ali-t
    There is only one way I can get rid of poo and that's daily poo scooping I'm afraid

Some of the "fresher" ones or liquidy ones don't get scooped up straight away otherwise I'd be scooping my guts up too

Interested to hear if anyone else has a better way
    Originally posted by queen of cheap
    What tool do you use to scoop?

for the coops i use a cat litter scoop and thick gloves but the grass is a different story. Yuck. I dread to think what it will be like in the winter when the grass cant be cut to get rid of it
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jul 15, 7:21 AM
    • 29,828 Posts
    • 102,951 Thanks
    Davesnave
    What tool do you use to scoop?

for the coops i use a cat litter scoop and thick gloves but the grass is a different story. Yuck. I dread to think what it will be like in the winter when the grass cant be cut to get rid of it
    Originally posted by ali-t
    I don't scoop at all outside. No time for that, but then the area is way bigger than the standard 4m2 per bird for free range.

In winter you probably won't need to cut the grass, as it won't grow much. If you do need to, then there's mowers/strimmers out there that will cope, but they'll cost.

Sometimes our hen area has large parts virtually underwater in winter and the gateways 20cm deep in mud, so mowing then would be very difficult.

Inside the hen house we use vinyl flooring pieces laid on shavings and clean them off (after scraping the poo onto the compost heap) using one of those through the long handle brushes, attatched to a hose. This beats paying out loads for shavings.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,112Posts Today

8,364Users online

Martin's Twitter