Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dantheman2010
    Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............
    • 14th Nov 12, 5:41 PM
    Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman............... 14th Nov 12 at 5:41 PM
    Hi all

I have received my post today and amongst it was something which was sent by recorded delivery and needed to be signed for.

Both myself and my partner were at work so I decided to use the tracking number to see who signed for it.

It was supposedly signed for by me although the signature is not mine. Now I assume the post man did this "forging" my signature, I appreciate I now dont have to go to the sorting office to collect the item but surely this is not legal?

I was tempted (I know I shouldnt) to claim the company that sent it that I havent received it and when they check the tracking prove that it is not my signature with driving licence/passport etc. Although I am not sure I can be bothered with that.

I was just shocked they had forged my signature.
Page 2
  • mazza111
    The service I am paying for is to have something delivered. If it is delivered then fair play I am more than happy!

I would suspect they only sign it themselves if they are 100% certain the item is being delivered to the right address and is safe. I doubt they would forge a signature and then leave the parcel somewhere unsecured where the parcel could be stolen.
    Originally posted by goater78

WRONG - You are paying extra with Recorded Delivery to have a signature by the recipient...Why use recorded if you're happy for any tom !!!! or harry to sign for it especially if it goes to a different address?

And I'm afraid you're wrong on the latter part too. I've had recorded stuff signed for through my letter box for the man down the street. My dd has had to change everything to be sent to my address because a lot of her mail was going missing. It just takes one numpty postie to cause major problems.... Trust me on this one, I was in the job for years and seen the problems it causes.

They can still be 100% wrong though. My postie regularly gets confused between my street address and 3 others. Or he'll get confused with the numbers. I'm actually starting to think he just plays "lucky dip" when delivering our mail Its not like (for example) I get number 14s mail only. I might get a few letters for myself, one for number 34, one for the next again street.
    Might not even him who's doing the sorting for the duty, could be someone else and he's left to try and sort it out as he goes in all fairness. It's quite easy to have 5 letters for number 14 and have one in the middle for #7 and not notice it if you know what I mean.

Seen that happen so many times unfortunately it's quite easy to miss.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
  • goater78
    WRONG - You are paying extra with Recorded Delivery to have a signature by the recipient...Why use recorded if you're happy for any tom !!!! or harry to sign for it especially if it goes to a different address?

And I'm afraid you're wrong on the latter part too. I've had recorded stuff signed for through my letter box for the man down the street. My dd has had to change everything to be sent to my address because a lot of her mail was going missing. It just takes one numpty postie to cause major problems.... Trust me on this one, I was in the job for years and seen the problems it causes.

Might not even him who's doing the sorting for the duty, could be someone else and he's left to try and sort it out as he goes in all fairness. It's quite easy to have 5 letters for number 14 and have one in the middle for #7 and not notice it if you know what I mean.

Seen that happen so many times unfortunately it's quite easy to miss.
    Originally posted by mazza111
    Not WRONG at all. I'm paying to have mail delivered, if it gets delivered I don't really care about the signature. The point of the signature is it provides a layer of protection if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong I don't care if its signed for or not.
    • HalfPint
    • By HalfPint 15th Nov 12, 8:32 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    HalfPint
    Hiya,

just thought I'd point out that recorded signed for means it is signed for on delivery to the address...not signed for by the named personon the envelope.

Posties are not permitted to sign for recorded's but like many of royal mails rules, a lot of the general public (as shown above) like their posties to sign on their behalf as it is more convenient.

HP x

PS (i'm not a postie, never have been )
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 15th Nov 12, 9:01 PM
    • 13,679 Posts
    • 8,656 Thanks
    arcon5
    Not WRONG at all. I'm paying to have mail delivered, if it gets delivered I don't really care about the signature. The point of the signature is it provides a layer of protection if something goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong I don't care if its signed for or not.
    You may not care, but that isn't necessarily representative of the majority of people using recorded delivery. The item in question could in fact be a legal document or a return or something for which a signature on delivery is an important aspect of the service.
  • goater78
    You may not care, but that isn't necessarily representative of the majority of people using recorded delivery. The item in question could in fact be a legal document or a return or something for which a signature on delivery is an important aspect of the service.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    If it was that important you wouldn't use recorded signed for, you would use special delivery.
    • getzls
    • By getzls 15th Nov 12, 9:34 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    getzls
    As an ex-postie i did this with the persons permission.

Few regulars would have got regular RDs so they gave me the ok.

Yes of course it could have backfired if they said they didn't get it.

Never happened though.
  • mazza111
    Why on earth would you be willing to pay more for a service you're not getting... If you pay for recorded it should be recorded... not just slung through a letterbox.

Halfpint - The point of the OP that it was signed for by postie, not by anyone at the address.

Getzls - I wouldn't advise any postie to do it. Seen on hauled over the coals for it, and lost his job.

If I send something recorded and a signature isn't delivered, or if I found out it wasn't signed for by the someone at that address, I would certainly be making a complaint about it. Sometimes a signature is all that's needed. Especially for proof for people like DWP who tend to lose things. At least that way if it's been signed for, I can prove they receive it.
  • goater78
    Recorded signed for is not just a signature. They also tell you when the item has been delivered. That information can be quite useful. I am happy to pay extra to be notified of delivery. I don't particularly care about the signature as long as its delivered.
  • bargain hunts
    We've had the same postie for years and he often posts stuff that fits through. He only puts post through My letterbox and never gives it to a neighbour (although my neighbours would be fine). He will call past on his way back to the office and if he sees a car in the drive will knock and get a signature. I am very grateful for this and wouldn't dream of reporting it when he's doing me a favour although i do understand he shouldn't.
    I dont live in a remote area, he knows i appreciate it and he's happy to do it.
    Maybe next time you see postie you should ask him/her not to do it again as you would rather go pick it up? (if you always have the same one)
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 16th Nov 12, 8:39 AM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 15,684 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Maybe next time you see postie you should ask him/her not to do it again as you would rather go pick it up? (if you always have the same one)
    Originally posted by bargain hunts
    I only ever see postie on a Saturday - and I've no idea if it's the same one as does the weekday deliveries. Maybe it depends on where you live.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
  • mazza111
    Recorded signed for is not just a signature. They also tell you when the item has been delivered. That information can be quite useful. I am happy to pay extra to be notified of delivery. I don't particularly care about the signature as long as its delivered.
    A recorded delivery shouldn't be marked as recorded without the signature....
  • goater78
    A recorded delivery shouldn't be marked as recorded without the signature....
    Not sure if you've noticed but that's the point of this thread. The signature has been forged to mark the parcel as recorded.......

The debate is between those that think that is bad and those that don't really care!
  • mazza111
    So forging someone's signature is ok now...
  • mazza111
    And actually, done on the old style delivery cards. You used to get a lot of posties just writing DELIVERED in the space for name/sig.. so it can be marked as delivered without a signature...
  • goater78
    So forging someone's signature is ok now...
    Depends in the context.

Forging a signature in some sort of financial transaction which costs the person is not ok.

Writing a persons name on a form when you've posted their mail is probably not the worst crime in the world!
  • mazza111
    Probably not, but still a crime...

If they have the ok to sign on customers behalf, then surely they should put their own name and signature..
  • goater78
    Probably not, but still a crime...

If they have the ok to sign on customers behalf, then surely they should put their own name and signature..
    I feel we are going round in circles now. Have I not made it abundantly clear that as long as my mail is delivered I don't care what they sign on it?

They could write delivered by Donald Duck and I wouldn't care as long as it arrived!
  • mazza111
    You don't care, but the OP obviously does. And has a genuine complaint. Whether you or I would accept it or not is irrelevant. The OP is not happy with it and could lead to the postie losing his job over it.
    • sillybilly2011
    • By sillybilly2011 16th Nov 12, 3:26 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    sillybilly2011
    I love my postman signing for my stuff. I live in the middle of fields (in a house) with not another house in sight. I would dread the thought of having to drive miles and miles to get to my nearest depot. When I order a parcel online, i never request for them to be recorded, it must just be policy for some websites.
    • keyser666
    • By keyser666 17th Nov 12, 7:55 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    keyser666
    Already asked my postie if he would mind doing this and he happily obliges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter