Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dantheman2010
    Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman...............
    • 14th Nov 12, 5:41 PM
    Royal Mail Recorded Delivery Signed For Naughty Postman............... 14th Nov 12 at 5:41 PM
    Hi all

I have received my post today and amongst it was something which was sent by recorded delivery and needed to be signed for.

Both myself and my partner were at work so I decided to use the tracking number to see who signed for it.

It was supposedly signed for by me although the signature is not mine. Now I assume the post man did this "forging" my signature, I appreciate I now dont have to go to the sorting office to collect the item but surely this is not legal?

I was tempted (I know I shouldnt) to claim the company that sent it that I havent received it and when they check the tracking prove that it is not my signature with driving licence/passport etc. Although I am not sure I can be bothered with that.

I was just shocked they had forged my signature.
Page 1
  • mazza111
    • 14th Nov 12, 6:13 PM
    • 14th Nov 12, 6:13 PM
    Many like their postie to do this, or sign on behalf of their customers.

However, as a former postie, I wouldn't have done it at all.

You can make a complaint about it happening without contacting the sender, and this is what I'd do.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
  • goater78
    • 14th Nov 12, 6:53 PM
    • 14th Nov 12, 6:53 PM
    Hi all

I have received my post today and amongst it was something which was sent by recorded delivery and needed to be signed for.

Both myself and my partner were at work so I decided to use the tracking number to see who signed for it.

It was supposedly signed for by me although the signature is not mine. Now I assume the post man did this "forging" my signature, I appreciate I now dont have to go to the sorting office to collect the item but surely this is not legal?

I was tempted (I know I shouldnt) to claim the company that sent it that I havent received it and when they check the tracking prove that it is not my signature with driving licence/passport etc. Although I am not sure I can be bothered with that.

I was just shocked they had forged my signature.
    Originally posted by dantheman2010

So you were tempted to commit a crime by lying and saying the goods didn't arrive, and yet are "shocked" the postman delivered your mail!

I know what shocks me more
  • Honeydog
    • 14th Nov 12, 7:38 PM
    • 14th Nov 12, 7:38 PM
    You're lucky - they didn't bother signing my recorded parcel and just lobbed it through an open window!!!
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
    • The ICT Engineer
    • By The ICT Engineer 14th Nov 12, 8:49 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    The ICT Engineer
    • 14th Nov 12, 8:49 PM
    • 14th Nov 12, 8:49 PM
    You're lucky - they didn't bother signing my recorded parcel and just lobbed it through an open window!!!
    Originally posted by Honeydog
    Could have been worse, They could have missed and broke the glass instead.
    • apesxx
    • By apesxx 15th Nov 12, 9:27 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    apesxx
    • 15th Nov 12, 9:27 AM
    • 15th Nov 12, 9:27 AM
    Our postman used to do this when i still lived with my parents. I really appreciated not having to drive 5 miles to the local sorting office to pick them up. he only did it with letters that would fit through the letter box tho. And i suppose it did help that we had had the same postman since i was little and as it was quite a rural run, he knew everyone quite well.

And why would you pretend that you didnt get it? That just about sums up what this country is coming too. It only spoils things for everyone else when the price goes up coz of people like you.
    Last edited by apesxx; 15-11-2012 at 9:29 AM.
    • likelyfran
    • By likelyfran 15th Nov 12, 10:51 AM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    likelyfran
    • 15th Nov 12, 10:51 AM
    • 15th Nov 12, 10:51 AM
    So you were tempted to commit a crime by lying and saying the goods didn't arrive, and yet are "shocked" the postman delivered your mail!

I know what shocks me more
    Originally posted by goater78
    Oh for goodness' sake!
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 15th Nov 12, 11:20 AM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 15th Nov 12, 11:20 AM
    • 15th Nov 12, 11:20 AM
    This is one of those never ending debates. According to the rules, they are not allowed to do it, but I for one am very grateful to our postie for doing it.

Our sorting office is 12 miles away and not open at any time when we can get there during the week. The only time we can get to the sorting office is Saturday mornings, which means we would have to wait a week or more to get anything that needed a signature and if we are busy on a Saturday morning then it can be even longer.
  • goater78
    • 15th Nov 12, 11:23 AM
    • 15th Nov 12, 11:23 AM
    Originally posted by Honeydog
    I see you're still harbouring a grudge over this
  • TRace
    As above, Our postman has done this for items that fit in the box, and as above I appreciate it.

I think in part its done so they doesn't have to carry round undelivered parcels all day and while I understand this is not somthing they should be doing its good for me to get the post delivered rather than having to wait untill I can get to the sorting office at the weekend, as ours is only open 7-12 to collect the post.
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 15th Nov 12, 11:41 AM
    • 5,533 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    paulfoel
    But postie is doing you a favour surely?

Maybe they're not supposed to do it but I guess they're the ones taking the risk but its you that benefits.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
  • Slowhand
    Oh for goodness' sake!
    Originally posted by likelyfran
    What? The OP says got the item and is tempted to claim they haven't? I know who I'm tempted to say 'Oh for goodness sake' to!
  • mazza111
    Ignoring the comment from OP about going to report they didn't get the item...

How would you feel if you were the customer sending the item that you had paid for a service you didn't receive...I don't send stuff recorded for the postie to sign for it, or for him/her to deliver it without a signature. People send things recorded because that's what they want, they wouldn't pay the extra otherwise
  • goater78
    Ignoring the comment from OP about going to report they didn't get the item...

How would you feel if you were the customer sending the item that you had paid for a service you didn't receive...I don't send stuff recorded for the postie to sign for it, or for him/her to deliver it without a signature. People send things recorded because that's what they want, they wouldn't pay the extra otherwise
    Originally posted by mazza111
    As long as they received the item I doubt I would care. When I send something to someone I will ask if they have received it, I wouldn't ask whether they signed for it.

It would only be an issue if there was a problem with the delivery and they produced a forged signature as proof of delivery.
  • mazza111
    As long as they received the item I doubt I would care. When I send something to someone I will ask if they have received it, I wouldn't ask whether they signed for it.

It would only be an issue if there was a problem with the delivery and they produced a forged signature as proof of delivery.
    So you're quite happy to pay for a service you don't receive...
  • Slowhand

In a way yes...kind of! If 99.9% are delivered okay I'd be happy to claim on the 0.1% that weren't.

It's a bit like an insurance policy to me to be honest.
    • mickaveli2001
    • By mickaveli2001 15th Nov 12, 1:02 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    mickaveli2001
    There was a postman once that was delivering an MP3 player worth 120 and he put it into our blue BIN, which was sitting out in the driveway STILL ready to be emptied that morning. My wife who was taking my children to school came back just before the bin men had arrived and seen the letter through the door saying that it was in the blue bin outside... How stupid can they get? The entire street's blue bins are always overflowing with blag bags hanging out of them, not to mention others putting their "last minute" black bags in the nearest or available bin regardless if it's there's or not. Imagine the delight of someone opening it up and thinking "Oooooh what's this sitting in here".

No common sense some of them!!!

We never phoned up, or complained. We got the product so we were happy enough, but just imagine if the bin men had came. They actually arrived just 10 minutes after my wife had collected the parcel
  • goater78
    The service I am paying for is to have something delivered. If it is delivered then fair play I am more than happy!

I would suspect they only sign it themselves if they are 100% certain the item is being delivered to the right address and is safe. I doubt they would forge a signature and then leave the parcel somewhere unsecured where the parcel could be stolen.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Nov 12, 3:38 PM
    • 3,079 Posts
    • 15,719 Thanks
    NBLondon
    I would suspect they only sign it themselves if they are 100% certain the item is being delivered to the right address and is safe. I doubt they would forge a signature and then leave the parcel somewhere unsecured where the parcel could be stolen.
    This is presumably the case for those people in rural areas where they know and trust their regular postperson. I used to live in a small block of 6 flats with a common letterbox and everything got dumped in the hallway; a dishonest temporary postie could have had a field day there; sign with a squiggle (pocket the goods) and if challenged claim that a neighbour signed for it and it was left in the hallway.

As an occasional eBayer; obtaining a signature is some protection against dishonest buyers - who regularly do what the OP thought about.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Nov 12, 4:51 PM
    • 14,093 Posts
    • 11,295 Thanks
    unholyangel
    The service I am paying for is to have something delivered. If it is delivered then fair play I am more than happy!

They can still be 100% wrong though. My postie regularly gets confused between my street address and 3 others. Or he'll get confused with the numbers. I'm actually starting to think he just plays "lucky dip" when delivering our mail Its not like (for example) I get number 14s mail only. I might get a few letters for myself, one for number 34, one for the next again street.

He has signed for a recorded delivery item and put it through a door he thought was mine. RM's system showed it as delivered to my address correctly but obviously, it wasnt. Luckily the person was honest and brought it round the next evening.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

327Posts Today

4,583Users online

Martin's Twitter