Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    flashy01
    Beware - People's Postcode Lottery!
    • 15th Feb 12, 6:05 PM
    Beware - People's Postcode Lottery! 15th Feb 12 at 6:05 PM
    Since subscribing to this in summer of last year, I have won the princely sum of 4 (twice winning 2). However, I have yet to ever receive either payment which I was told by e-mail would be paid into my bank within 28 days(the sub is paid by direct debit).

I finally phoned today to ask what was going on and was told that this happens often and that they need bank account details to pay the cash in. I take it from this, the only way you're likely to receive any winnings is if they are presented in the form of a gigantic novelty cheque. I know it only amounts to 4, but what if it was two wins of 100?

I urge anyone who subscribes to PPL, to please ensure that they are actually receiving the payments for any money they win as I feel this is a somewhat fraudulent practice. I'm awaiting an e-mail from them as I asked them to contact me to provide a full explanation before I cancel my subscription.
Page 3
    • snodgrass
    • By snodgrass 16th Jun 14, 7:50 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    snodgrass
    I have been with them a few months, won 10 to start with, and had to run them up all over the place to get it. Just cancelled my subscription. Something does not feel right with this company. Just tried to log-in on the site, but where do you log-in now?? There is nothing to click, had to search in browser for log-in page. No "my account" page either, telling you about your bonus points, just goes straight to card details for purchashing tickets. VERY STRANGE, I have cancelled through my Paypal, so if anything is took out of my bank account, I will know they are dodgy.
    • thetriggerhappypwner
    • By thetriggerhappypwner 29th Jun 14, 12:58 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    thetriggerhappypwner
    I have been following this scheme for some time and my thoughts are that this is in fact a pyramid scheme. Sounds so much like one.
    • browneyedbazzi
    • By browneyedbazzi 29th Jun 14, 2:08 PM
    • 3,231 Posts
    • 5,575 Thanks
    browneyedbazzi
    I have been following this scheme for some time and my thoughts are that this is in fact a pyramid scheme. Sounds so much like one.
    Originally posted by thetriggerhappypwner
    I don't like lotteries (or gambling in general) as it all just feels like selling false hope to the poor and vulnerable - but, I don't see how this particular lottery could be described as a pyramid scheme. It doesn't share any of the key characteristics of a pyramid scheme such as promising returns for enrolling others. If a lot of people in your postcode sign up you might have a higher chance of winning, so that might encourage you to try to get others to sign up, but that isn't the same as promising a return as it is only ever a chance of winning.

Pyramid schemes are illegal in the UK btw and it's best not to make accusations without something to back it up.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 29th Jun 14, 2:08 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 3,908 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    I have cancelled through my Paypal, so if anything is took out of my bank account, I will know they are dodgy.
    Originally posted by snodgrass
    That doesn't prove they're dodgy, a lot of companies have a 'backup funding source' and you need to cancel with them directly - cancelling a payment doesn't always cancel the service.
  • andy1955
    No way is this a scam on the 24th June I received a letter to inform me I had won the monthly draw for the dream holiday which amounted to 10000. I for one will keep playing.
  • El_Torro
    Questionable
    I'm not sure if the advert is still running, but I remember seeing one where a lady won a massive amount while stood outside her house and was handed a large sign with the pound value on it. The same lady was included at the end of the advert (with all her fellow 'winners') holding a sign with a different pound value on it!!

Always made me laugh when I noticed it, but also meant I was never tempted to join in.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Jul 14, 9:52 AM
    • 23,844 Posts
    • 64,201 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm not sure if the advert is still running, but I remember seeing one where a lady won a massive amount while stood outside her house and was handed a large sign with the pound value on it. The same lady was included at the end of the advert (with all her fellow 'winners') holding a sign with a different pound value on it!!

Always made me laugh when I noticed it, but also meant I was never tempted to join in.
    Originally posted by El_Torro
    Carp adverts.

Have you seen the one with the unintelligible woman who says she never won 'nutt'n'?
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 22nd Jul 14, 10:56 AM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 3,886 Thanks
    Nada666
    I have to say I am becoming somewhat sceptical about the supposed randomness of the people's postcode lottery. If you have a look at the results of the weekly draw, where the average win is 10k, the majority of winners are new signers (i.e. people who have signed up in the previous four months). This would of course benefit those running the PPL as it would encourage even more people to sign up, but statistically is it truly feasible that those who have recently signed up to the PPL have more chance of winning than someone who has been a member for say longer in what is supposed to be a random draw?
    Originally posted by schmouse
    A random distribution that looks random and 'fairly' distributed is most likely dishonest - it is the first thing statisticians check when searching for fakery. Looking at a list of only seventeen draws is pretty meaningless.
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 22nd Jul 14, 11:00 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 3,754 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    They spammed me yesterday asking me to register with a postcode I have never lived at. For that reason alone, I will never give them any of my money.
  • DrMagpie
    Spammed me as well. Rather concerned as they got my postcode and full name correct.

Is it worth complaining to the ICO as I've never given them my details?

• confused always
    Ok I have a question about the Postcode Lottery, can anyone explain their charges? Fair enough if you pay by Paypal/ debit/credit card there are additional charges. But it says nothing about paying by Direct Debit. so if a draw costs 2 a draw, weekly draw x 52 weeks in a year that is 104 why is the direct debit 10 a month which works out at 120. where does that extra money go? I asked their online chat person and he didn't have an answer, perhaps you guys do? I know it doesn't sound a lot but over thousands of subscribers it adds up and if there are charges for administration, surely they should be upfront from the start?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 19th Aug 14, 11:39 PM
    • 3,912 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Ok I have a question about the Postcode Lottery, can anyone explain their charges? Fair enough if you pay by Paypal/ debit/credit card there are additional charges. But it says nothing about paying by Direct Debit. so if a draw costs 2 a draw, weekly draw x 52 weeks in a year that is 104 why is the direct debit 10 a month which works out at 120. where does that extra money go? I asked their online chat person and he didn't have an answer, perhaps you guys do? I know it doesn't sound a lot but over thousands of subscribers it adds up and if there are charges for administration, surely they should be upfront from the start?
    Originally posted by confused always
    According to their website there are five draws per month.

I've looked at their webisite and watched their video and don't have a clue how it works. Very confusing and muddled.
  • CathyP72
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • rafman
    Some while ago, I had a subscription with PPL, but cancelled it when I took the time to find out in which part of the country the 10 winners lived, and I found out that at that time approximately 80% went to Scotland.

Later, and I assume after PPL were challenged multiple times about the distribution of prizes, I discovered a turn around in this distribution and rejoined.

Last month, I had two wins of 10 - still out of pocket, but if you think logically,

1: Yes it is a gamble, and the odds will always be in the promoters favour, the bookies is another example, but

2: Where else can you be entered in a DAILY draw for 10 a month with a chance of winning a substantial amount of money???

And to all you doubters, no, I do not work for PPL - no, I have never worked for PPL and no - I have not been offered any money to write this message, although if they wish to do so, my pocket is always open.

In short, it's a gamble and like anything else if you're not in you won't win.
  • Sheepdog
    Don't understand this - if you pay your subscriptions by direct debit, then the PPL already have your bank account details, so why should you have to "register" those details again to receive your winnings?
    Originally posted by BaldacchinoR

This thread has been going for years, But took until the quote above, June this year, for someone to point it out.

You pay by direct debit, or credit card, THEY have your details.

Only saw about this lottery tonight, first time, read like a scam, 50p in every 2 to charity, Some given back, That is when they have your details. DUH.

1.50 into their pockets. OK some admin charges, BUT
    AND some are still signing up to it.

WOOT

• Mobyduck
    • By Mobyduck 23rd Sep 14, 4:36 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mobyduck
    I once looked into joining this lottery, but the thing that deterred me was the fact that some of the prizes come in the form of holidays. That set alarm bells ringing, as this type of prize is frequently used by the companies that post unsolicited scratchcards through your letter box, and ask you to phone a premium-rate number to claim. You win a holiday with no cash alternative, so you either take it or lose it.
    I have seen plenty of the Postcode Lottery ads on TV, where the winners are waving large cheques about, but have yet to see them showing someone winning a holiday. Probably because the winner would look disappointed. After all, people subscribe to these things in the hope of winning cash. A holiday, no matter how splendid, won't pay the bills.
    • Ronaldo Mconaldo
    • By Ronaldo Mconaldo 23rd Sep 14, 6:35 AM
    • 4,984 Posts
    • 5,240 Thanks
    Ronaldo Mconaldo

Originally posted by El_Torro
    They were quite famous a few years ago because one of the winners in an advert was on bail at the time of winning for kicking her own baby to death. She was on the advert having a jolly old time.
    • lajoux
    • By lajoux 23rd Sep 14, 11:47 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    lajoux
    I've just phoned People's Postcode Lottery to cancel my subscription - my goodness, which part of 'I want to cancel' do they not understand? I thought I had made a one-off payment when I started a few months ago but was dismayed to find that payments were being withdrawn each month - OK, my stupidity, but it's the most confusing set-up I've encountered. The girl at the call centre was polite, but did not give up easily, trying all sorts of temptations to make me continue. Anyway glad to be shot of it at last.
    Cave emptor! And thank you for all the helpful postings above.
  • johnbrodie
    I have been subscribing to this lottery for the past 6+ months, won 5 only.
    Why is it that the vast majority of winners have Scottish postcodes??.
    Originally posted by alanrp123
    Ive been playing postcode lottery for 8 months.never won a penny.so cancelled my direct debit today.
    • redpete
    • By redpete 6th Oct 14, 1:52 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 3,876 Thanks
    redpete
    Some while ago, I had a subscription with PPL, but cancelled it when I took the time to find out in which part of the country the 10 winners lived, and I found out that at that time approximately 80% went to Scotland.
    Originally posted by rafman
    It was properly launched in Scotland after a pilot in the North of England - so most subscribers (I would guess around 80% when you checked the prizes ;-)) would be in Scotland and random distribution of prizes would result in most being awarded to Scottish postcodes.
    Later, and I assume after PPL were challenged multiple times about the distribution of prizes, I discovered a turn around in this distribution and rejoined.
    No - just a reflection in the change in the distribution of subscribers.
    In short, it's a gamble and like anything else if you're not in you won't win.
    And if you're not in you won't lose your stakes.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,257Posts Today

7,457Users online

Martin's Twitter