Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ybbon66
    • By ybbon66 2nd Feb 11, 10:54 AM
    • 98Posts
    • 26Thanks
    ybbon66
    Credit searches by Aviva Central Services
    • 2nd Feb 11, 10:54 AM
    Credit searches by Aviva Central Services 2nd Feb 11 at 10:54 AM
    Hi,

This isn't specifically credit card but it seemed to fit best in this forum.

Short story, we paid off a Mint card just before Christmas that had defaulted and is basically killing my credit rating - I want to BT an MBNA card with a crazy interest rate so was just checking my rating to see what has happened. I know the default will not be removed was just being thorough and looking.

I used callcreditcheck to get the free report (sign up for 30-days and cancel before payment is due). Anyway I noticed a whole load of Aviva Central Services searches, about 3 a year for the last few years with the last on 26/12 - which is odd as I never made any searches then that I recall and I never use Aviva anyway. Just as an aside, I have a 20 years+ clean driving record, I'm over 40 - every other insurance quote is usually around £250-300 - Aviva - over £900! I asked them once why it was so bad and they couldn't explain it.

Anyway as you can see their quotes are so wildly out of whack as a point of principle I never use them so why are they making searches unprompted? I'm not sure it makes a fundamental difference on my report anyway just wondered if anyone knows why they would make these searches? I'll have a check and make sure I didn't instigate that but it was Boxing Day and I'm pretty sure I never used my computer at all that day.

Ta.
Page 3
  • asz
    Thanks Sharif.

What argument did you use with the ombudsman / did the ombudsman use with Aviva that they should be removed?

Maybe the Aviva rep on here (Dave) could comment on this. Does this mean that everyone's should be removed?
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    Yes this would be good if if Dave (rep) could come back to this thread and confirm these searches should be removed and which way do we go about it, As some of us seem to be getting nowhere with this!
    P.s I have also mentioned this to other people which after checking have these credit searches on there reports made by Aviva
  • Msharif
    Thanks Sharif.

What argument did you use with the ombudsman / did the ombudsman use with Aviva that they should be removed?

Maybe the Aviva rep on here (Dave) could comment on this. Does this mean that everyone's should be removed?

I contacted the Ombudsman and simply asked if they were able to assist me in this matter. The nice lady said she could and she said she would write to Aviva highlighting my issue.

I then had a response from Aviva requesting me to confirm my details with them, so i phoned them up straight away and spoke to the nice lady who said she will request to the credit agency to have them removed from my report. She said she will not be able to remove them all. However, she was able to see that there were duplicate searches made on my report. Four will be removed and three will stay as yearly searches.

I have to admit that yearly insurance searches on price comparison websites is not that bad. However my argument is why do they have to automatically do this without authorization and why should credit searches be made when it is only a quote. There is something to learn in this matter. We all know what happens now using these websites. I requested for them to completely remove my details from their database and i refuse to use this service ever again in the future.

I have not gone into more research into this matter, due to the fact that i don't have the time to do so, but this is my story and i wanted to share my experience with you all.

If i hear anything else or once his has been resolved, i will update you all.

Sharif
    • Hazzinho
    • By Hazzinho 30th Apr 12, 6:05 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Hazzinho
    Do these searches appear as credit with the CRAs? I get these annually and they are always quotes. I'd never use checkmyfile you're much better off looking directly.I'm not remotely bothered about quote searches.
  • Msharif
    Do these searches appear as credit with the CRAs? I get these annually and they are always quotes. I'd never use checkmyfile you're much better off looking directly.I'm not remotely bothered about quote searches.
    Originally posted by Hazzinho
    Whether it is obtained from checkmyfile or directly from CRAs, I would assume it would be the same information. I always use checkmyfile as it is nice to see your whole report in one place with all agencies, but what i do not like is unauthorized searches being made which may affect my score.

I have five credit search footprints, one audit footprint and one enquiry footprint. Quote searches are fine, but not credit searches, particulalrly when i dont intend to take out credit.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 30th Apr 12, 7:47 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    Aviva
    When the rep commented on this matter, I remember him giving an email address to contact if you had searches on your files you were concerned about and they would check their database and remove your details.

I contacted the email address given and a few weeks later received a letter stating they had checked their database and both myself and my partner was not showing on there. It is therefore the price comparison sites I believe as every year around January I get a number of searches by Aviva on my report. I think this is something that should be looked into as it must be hidden away in the small print. I wouldn't mind but I pay annually for my insurance and always state this on the comparison sites so I do not need their credit search. Also why is it only Aviva who search and no other insurance company??

I think I will take this further as contacting Aviva has got me nowhere.

xx
    • cos
    • By cos 30th Apr 12, 10:00 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    cos
    I'm in the same position as others here, so I've just disputed Aviva's searches with CallCredit online.
  • asz
    Got a reply this morning
    Dear Mr ####,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the recent credit searches carried out by Aviva and thank you for your patience while we have been looking into this for you.
    We have looked into the details provided and can confirm that Aviva performed searches against your credit file due to quotes being undertaken on a comparison web site where Aviva underwrites products, such as the RAC.

The quotes were completed via the comparison websites Confused.com and GoCompare.

When using this type of site their terms and conditions do state that credit searches may be carried out by the company or their underwriters at quotation stage, prior to purchase for underwriting purposes. These terms and conditions can be viewed in more depth via their websites.

Below is are links to their webistes which may be of help to you:

Confused.com

GoCompare

Due to the searching of credit files being clearly mentioned on the comparison sites I will be unable to delete these searches from your credit file as they have been authorised by yourself, when completing the above mentioned quotation.

Please be aware that unless you manually un-subscribe from these sites they can continue to use your data, normally this is around the time of your renewal date to show that they have companies who may be able to offer you a lower premium.

This, in turn, may cause another imprint on your credit file and will also be stated within the sites terms and conditions.

I hope this answers the questions raised by yourself and allows you to resolve the issue.

Yours sincerely,

###### #####
    Aviva Insurance
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 2nd May 12, 3:52 PM
    • 11,888 Posts
    • 11,416 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Similar to the reply I got, asz.
    I take the point about unsubscribing to the comparison sites, but given that you'd want to compare each year I don't see the point.

I asked the Aviva rep on here the following...
    _Why_ do they do a credit search when simply asking for a quote for insurance?
    Why is it only Aviva who do this and not all the other scores of companies who quote via these sites?
    ... but he seems to have gone quiet since.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 2nd May 12, 4:01 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    When I use the comparison sites, I always state I want to pay annually so why do they need to search my credit file?

Surely this is not right? I am on principle going to unsubscribe from all comparison sites from now on and use false details when I search their system, only when I decide who is cheapest will I enter my correct details on their site (or go through Topcashback if this applies).

Also why is is only Aviva that feel they have to search? I will never give Aviva anymore of my business.

xx
    Last edited by ladymarmalade222; 02-05-2012 at 4:06 PM. Reason: typo
  • Msharif
    Got a reply this morning
    Dear Mr ####,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the recent credit searches carried out by Aviva and thank you for your patience while we have been looking into this for you.
    We have looked into the details provided and can confirm that Aviva performed searches against your credit file due to quotes being undertaken on a comparison web site where Aviva underwrites products, such as the RAC.

The quotes were completed via the comparison websites Confused.com and GoCompare.

When using this type of site their terms and conditions do state that credit searches may be carried out by the company or their underwriters at quotation stage, prior to purchase for underwriting purposes. These terms and conditions can be viewed in more depth via their websites.

Below is are links to their webistes which may be of help to you:

Confused.com

GoCompare

Due to the searching of credit files being clearly mentioned on the comparison sites I will be unable to delete these searches from your credit file as they have been authorised by yourself, when completing the above mentioned quotation.

Please be aware that unless you manually un-subscribe from these sites they can continue to use your data, normally this is around the time of your renewal date to show that they have companies who may be able to offer you a lower premium.

This, in turn, may cause another imprint on your credit file and will also be stated within the sites terms and conditions.

I hope this answers the questions raised by yourself and allows you to resolve the issue.

Yours sincerely,

###### #####
    Aviva Insurance
    Originally posted by asz
    Yep, that's what i was told. However, searches were carried out by their company whether it was used through a price comparison website or directly from them selves and yes it does state that in the price comparison websites T&C, but it does not state that they will automatically do a credit search for new renewal quotes every year.

I got the Ombudsmen involved. maybe you should too
  • Aviva company representative
    Hi Everyone

Thank you for all your posts on this thread and my apologies I havenít come back to you all sooner. The reason it has taken me so long to reply is I wanted to come back to you with an explanation of why you may have Aviva credit searches on your credit record.

As previously mentioned in my earlier post

Aviva are not on comparison websites such as Confused.com, however there are companies underwritten by Aviva who are on such sites. This will be why you may see a search taking place under Avivaís name even if you have not had any quotes directly from ourselves.

As you go through a direct quote with Aviva, we may undertake a credit search to ascertain credit worthiness and affordability of repayments. This search will leave a footprint visible to you and other lenders (who use the same credit reference agency)
    Originally posted by Aviva company representative

We understand that this may not answer all of your questions, however hope that you can appreciate it is very difficult to answer all queries you may have on a public forum, especially with the strict FSA guidelines we must adhere to regarding the disclosure of personal information.

I strongly encourage you to email our credit search team at UKDISUPPORT@aviva.co.uk with any and all your queries and they will investigate on your behalf and contact you regarding any searches carried out by ourselves. To help them resolve your queries quicker can you please include the following

Full Name
    Date Of Birth
    Address you resided at when the searches were made
    Date of the searches you wish investigated

As always Iím still happy to receive any queries on other Aviva topics to my personal email David.Hyam@aviva.co.uk but would request you copy in my teams email mailbox social@aviva.co.uk so should I be out of the office, we can pick up any queries you may have and get them answered as soon as possible.

I hope this helps but if you have any further questions please donít hesitate to let me know

Dave
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Aviva. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 4th May 12, 5:24 PM
    • 11,888 Posts
    • 11,416 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I strongly encourage you to email our credit search team at UKDISUPPORT@aviva.co.uk with any and all your queries and they will investigate on your behalf and contact you regarding any searches carried out by ourselves.
    Originally posted by Aviva company representative

Those of us who have done this have just received the stock answer confirming that the searches were done through comparrison sites.

We understand that this may not answer all of your questions, however hope that you can appreciate it is very difficult to answer all queries you may have on a public forum, especially with the strict FSA guidelines we must adhere to regarding the disclosure of personal information.
    Dave, I presume that you can answer the following without disclosing any personal information:
    _Why_ do Aviva do a credit search when simply asking for a quote for insurance?
    Why is it only Aviva who do this and not all the other scores of companies who quote via these sites?
    • flipdee
    • By flipdee 4th May 12, 6:23 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    flipdee
    ARGH!!!!!!!!!
    No wonder my "credit score" has just gone down the toilet,
    3 FLIPPING Credit Searches by Aviva Central Services!
    What the chuff are they playing at?
    Do we know what comparison websites do this?
    As clearly 3 different sites I have used previously have all decided as my insurance is up for renewal that they'll tarnish my credit report by hammering it as hard as they can.
    I WILL DEFINITELY NOT BE GOING WITH AVIVA!
    ARGH!!!!!!!!
  • MsCabbage
    Hey Everyone!

I have to say it seems we are overlooking something obvious here and that is Martin Lewis is usually the person shouting from the roof tops about scandals like this. Our credits scores and being wrongly degraded by Aviva and it is gaining valuable full credit file data on us wrongly when all we have done is ask for an insurance quote...

Because of that I sent an email to his team to look into this (as they recommended we use these comparison sites) and I have to say I am very dissapointed it has been completed ignored...

Here is a copy of my email with my personal details removed.

I have been using your guidesfor price comparisons for my car and home insurance for ages now.

However, I recently checkedmy credit file to find a load of credit searches (not invisible insurancequotes) on my credit file by Aviva Central Services. Anyway, to cut along story short I found out this has occurred from using the price comparisonsites Go Compare and Moneysupermarket Ė see below an email from Avivaconfirming this.

I find your site and MartinLewis a fantastic source of information and I feel sure you will agree that youshould make people aware of this is in the CONS section of each pricecomparison site that you recommend.

There is a simple workaroundyou could suggest and that is to use a fictional name on an address a few doorsaway with the same postcode.

PS. You do realise thatanyone who has used these sites will have the extra credit searches and theneach year after they will get another one! This means there will havebeen literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of unnecessary creditsearches that will have done.
  • Former MSE Dan
    Hi folks,

We have been looking into this deeply, and are close to finalising what we are going to do about it.

Thanks for the info you've all provided in this thread

Dan
  • Experian company representative
    Clearly this involves another credit reference agency (CRA) but I think I understand the issue...

Because the insurer is quoting not just the price of their premium but also a price should you choose to pay using instalments (ie premium plus interest), they are undertaking credit quotation searches with a CRA.

This is becoming standard practice in the insurance industry. They will have your permission to do this, either directly or via a third party, and some will have your permission to requote you on the aniversary of your original quote on an ongoing basis after that.

Importantly, these are credit quotations and not credit applications. Or at least they should be. As others have said, only applications can be fed into credit scoring. Quotations have no affect on scores at all.

If the search type isn't very clear on the other CRA's report I suggest you ask the CRA to clarify exactly what type of search has been recorded. I suspect though that 'Insurance (Credit)' relates to the product (insurance on credit) and not to the search type (a quote for this).

Hope this helps.

James Jones
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Former MSE Dan
    Can folk who have seen this appearing on their credit file please let me know which Credit reference agency they checked with, if you've two mins to spare.

Thanks

Dan
    • zen135
    • By zen135 16th May 12, 2:51 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    zen135
    These searches by Aviva (5 searches during a 6-month period) were done on my CallCredit credit report. My Equifax and Experian reports don't show any record of these searches.
  • asz
    Hi, Mine are showing on noddle/callcredit. Do not have a current experian & equifax report to double check.
    asz
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 16th May 12, 4:16 PM
    • 11,888 Posts
    • 11,416 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Mine are showing on Noddle.
    Don't know about the others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,847Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter