Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    amazelucy
    Warning - do not use wolstenholmes solicitors
    • 3rd Jul 09, 1:55 PM
    Warning - do not use wolstenholmes solicitors 3rd Jul 09 at 1:55 PM
    Hi All

I just wanted to vent some frustration and let you all know please never even consider using Wolstenholmes Solicitors LLP!!

They are acting for the sellers of our house and they are the most dreadful, disorganised solicitors I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. They leave their assistants to do EVERYTHING and you can never ever get hold of the actual people. Our fantastic sollicitor has had to explain in minute legal detail each and everytime she has needed something! She has even had emails back saying "we dont understand".

Our estate agents informed us they had never dealt with them until recently and have suddenly dealt with them 4 times recently - apparently because they offer a cheap online deal!!

Please everyone - it is not worth saving a hundred quid for all the stress and hassle this bunch of idiots (who must have bought their degrees online) will cause you when buying or selling a house.

Thanks

Lucy
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 05-07-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Page 3
  • pablo742
    Wolsenholmes. instructed them a month ago,, paid 300 quid deposit, not a peep from them since, the online tracker file remains empty, its impossible to speak to a solicitor, its easier to contact the dead than this lot, cancelled all dealings with them today and have appointed a new firm to do the work, wish i'd seen this forum sooner, dont use them its like being mugged, slowly
    Last edited by pablo742; 23-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    • cakinwande
    • By cakinwande 23rd Oct 09, 3:45 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cakinwande
    The second of my 2 emails was a request to cease all action, and credit my account with my initial deposit. The following day, after speaking to another solicitor, I got a phone call from Wolstenholmes who appeared worried that I wanted all proceedings stopped, and assured me they were still working towards the completion date I'd specified. Will let you all know what happens
    Originally posted by choke01
    The less money you give them, the better. My legal claim involved getting back money they owe me due to the fact they did next to nothing on my account for the whole 5 months they had me as a client.
    • isayoldchap
    • By isayoldchap 23rd Oct 09, 9:13 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    isayoldchap
    Another update
    You will remember I mentioned about my overdue 27k cheque .
    Well the letter sent with it did say 19th October but guess what ..........
    go on guess..........
    It was sent to my old address where we moved from 06th October.

I collected it from the buyers today some two weeks after the move.

Earning intrest in their account instead of mine

Oh and the customer log in system at Wolstenholmes is still showing 61% purchase and 76% for my sale.
    Last updated 14/09
    Last edited by isayoldchap; 23-10-2009 at 9:20 PM.
    • lyster101
    • By lyster101 27th Oct 09, 2:23 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    lyster101
    I'd like to further echo other complaints about Wolstenholmes. I have lost count of how many threads there are about the poor service from this company. I am glad that anyone with the foresight to google the company or this website directly will be dissuaded from using them.

As an update to my previous post, I am still waiting for documentation. The NHBC certificate is still due to me, and has been since completion in April.

I am now in communication with the Law Society, as I urge EVERYONE ELSE to do. Details on the procedure have been outlined previously.

Hopefully we can prevent the misery we have all been subjected to by shutting them down.
  • dermie54
    glad to hear im not the only one
    Had an awfully stressful time with this company...

Kept my money and still have for over a month

not done any work

not responded to any communications

i had to go to their office and demand to speak to someone of which they would not come out and called my mobile! eventually got someone....

mithered and mithered

utter rubbish company! would not touch them at all! amazed they still operate, they do rip people off and they arent bothered....its the whole company and the staff!! all bad
  • thema
    ANOTHER BAD EXPERIENCE - Wolstenholmes
    I WAS using Wolstenholmes for a property which was due to complete today. However, due to their sub-standard performance, lack of communication with the all parties concerned and an incapable solicitor I was forced to change firms because they were nowhere near completion. I complained many times but they still failed to improve their service.
    • Israfel
    • By Israfel 30th Oct 09, 1:02 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Israfel
    I'm sorry to hear this, hope you get into your new house soon, as for dealing with the complaints department, they don't answer the phone or reply either. I get the feeling it will be a while before I get my 300 back that I put down initially if at all. It amazes me these people are allowed to operate
    • Sunny2good
    • By Sunny2good 30th Oct 09, 10:42 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sunny2good
    Whilst i was searching for a solicitor, i also applied on their website to geta quote. It was quiet cheap compared to the other quotes ive been getting. I decided to do a bit of research and found alot of forums here and elsewhere on the net full of complaints. Two hours after the quote, i got a call from their sales agent who wanted me to book them as my solictors. Same story, wanted 300 deposit. When i told him that why should i go with them when all i hear is bad reviews for the company, i was told that things have now changed. I told him that im still looking around and will contact them if i wanted their services.

After that, i must have received nearly 30-40 missed calls and a few voicemail message from the same person , whilst i was busy in meetings at work the next morning. I had to call him back to make it clear to him that i did NOT want to do any dealings with them.

He seemed very persistent but i said no, all thanks to the people on this forum. Its only after reading about your experiences that i chose not to go with them.

In the end i went for one of the solictors whose office is on a highstreet near my house
    • cakinwande
    • By cakinwande 31st Oct 09, 8:17 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cakinwande
    UPDATE: This is funny.

Letter from LCS a few days ago:

"I write further to my email dated 8 October 2009 in order to update you on the progress of your complaint.
    As explained in my email on 8 October 2009, I raised your concern regarding the failure to return telephone calls that date. At that stage, I requested a response from the firm on 13 October 2009. This was not received therefore I chased the firm on 19 and 20 October 2009. I did not receive a response to my telephone messages therefore I wrote to the firm on 21 October 2009 asking the firm to respond to the complaint by 23 October 2009 but nothing was received. I chased the firm again today but have not received a response to my telephone message.

I shall continue to chase the firm for their response to the complaint. The Legal Complaints Service has the power to request the firm's file in order to consider the complaint without their input."

Are Wolstenholmes scared? They blimming well should be..
  • sooperdooperfly
    These guys are useless.

Nazma tried to sort out my issue and at first I got a call and email straight away from the person handling my case. Promised to give me an update the next day but didnt. Tried ringing and emailing but didn't get a reply, not even an acknowledgment. I can only try and chase up again on Monday but apart from driving there and knocking on their door I don't know what I can do!
    • cakinwande
    • By cakinwande 1st Nov 09, 8:16 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    cakinwande
    These guys are useless.

Nazma tried to sort out my issue and at first I got a call and email straight away from the person handling my case. Promised to give me an update the next day but didnt. Tried ringing and emailing but didn't get a reply, not even an acknowledgment. I can only try and chase up again on Monday but apart from driving there and knocking on their door I don't know what I can do!
    Originally posted by sooperdooperfly
    Seriously, dont bother with them anymore. Say you want your money back and find a local solicitor, check online for reviews first...! They will continue to waste your time and your money. I changed solicitors with ease after FIVE MONTHS of Wolstenholmes doing eff all. If you have any other parties involved, inform them of their lack of progression, they will understand. Make sure you make a legal complaint about Wolstenholmes. We need to close these people down!!!
    Last edited by cakinwande; 01-11-2009 at 11:58 AM.
  • johnboy841
    Also they never paid me my salary I was supposed to be on they paid me what they wanted. I would rather be unemployed than work there.

Also they would put people in positions they have not even apllied to do. Also I would get my manager asking me to work and not get paid overtime.

Luckily I am now working for a Sunday Times top 100 law firms in Manchester and I am loving it.

Good riddence to that place and DONT USE THEM
  • 1elleinad2
    Useless
    Useless is what they are and useless is how I feel. All I can say is to replicate what everyone else has experienced. OUr buyer picked these solicitors, and I only wished I had realised how useless they were before it was too late. We should have exchanged yesterday, our solicitors and estate agents have contacted them constantly and you just dont get anywhere. We are under strict deadlines which we have informed them of hundreds of times, we cant seem to get through to them . Please do not use them. If they dont exchange on MOnday, i am going to make it my mission to annoy them.
  • kargeo
    we instructed wolstenholmes on may 13th 2009 to see us through a straight forward council 'right to buy'. we have had the usual bad experiences listed by everyone else, changes of solicitor dealing with us, no communication, our latest guy blaming the other side for all delays, being asked to contact the other side for information that our solicitor should be doing himself etc. being first time buyers, although we werent happy about these things, we kind of accepted that this must just be the way it is until at the end of october during a call to our solicitor he told us that our mortgage offer had lapsed some 8 weeks earlier but this was ok because we could get an extension. not so we have had to go through the whole mortgage application process again making our original arrangement fee invalid and with a higher rate so costing us over 2000 for the fixed period. the mortgage company said that they would use the original valuation but that this would be out of date by the end of nov, and if we hadent completed by then we would have to pay for another valuation, about 300, we immediately contacted wolstenholmes via email, to ensure they recieved this information as quickly as possible. our solicitior had the required documentation in his office for 5 days before we recieved it yesteday, we now have 5 working days left to complete only to find that these documents that he has sent for us to sign and get witnessed dont have the right name on them and although we have been sent the details of their bank requesting we transfer monies for the sale, they have sent no final balance amount. USE THEM DONT USE THEM but six months and still no competion or even exchange we certainly wish we hadnt.
  • adam123456
    I think wolstenholmes are great they have excellent customer services and provide an excellent service, i had all my calls returned, they are a sucessful company everyone has there own opinions, they have excellent lawyers who can provide regular feedback !!!! Best lawyers ever
  • Aldrigde
    Please please please complain to the Law Society .I have now thanks to them been repaid.
    If any one googles this firm think once twice and then again before you jump to try and save 50-100 .
  • shooby
    Please please please complain to the Law Society .I have now thanks to them been repaid.
    If any one googles this firm think once twice and then again before you jump to try and save 50-100 .
    Originally posted by Aldrigde
    Hi Aldrigde, can I ask how long the whole process took from asking for your money back and actually getting it please? I've only spoken to my conveyancer once (I phoned him) and he seemed ok, but then no contact after that. My estate agent has been chasing for me but has had no luck, so is now nagging me constantly about them. The whole process has been so stressful that I have decided to hold off selling until I have the energy for this again. I emailed them to ask for my downpayment back as no longer selling...no answer yet. Any chance I will see it ever again? Is involving the Law Society the only way to get my money back? Thanks.
  • maureenpwale
    Another person who says do not, under any circumstances use Wolstenholmes
    Our buyer is using this company. They have held up the sale for several weeks. Our solicitor says that they hardly ever reply to e-mails, phone calls or faxes. They leave everything to the last minute and never inform her of how the sale is proceeding. We would have been in our new house by now if it weren't for this company. I understand our buyer has complained to the Law Society about them. Never, never use them they are crap

MW
  • windwardcm
    Wolstenholmes. A name to strike fear into anyone who needs to use the services of a Legal company in the North West. From a commercial point of view my advice is DON'T. I am a senior partner in a property investment & development company. Even during the recession we managed a turnover of 6.5M last year & required a new solicitor for a purchase of land in Manchester to develop into low-cost housing. I tried about ten or twelve firms in the area & Wolstenholmes was one. Even from the phone being answered I could tell this wasn't going to be easy - the obstructive & rude receptionist told me they don't give out names of practitioners or even the head of the Commercial Property department because "salespeople would ask for them". "Why don't you give me the name of the Commercial Property Head as I'm a prospective client then?" I ask in all innocence - "you might be selling us advertising" was the answer. "I want to buy land & need conveyancing" was my answer & continued: "Do you want to handle a 4m property deal or not?" "It's not something we'd be interested in" was the answer from the nice lady who answered option 1 on the Cheadle number. Be warned - they don't want your business because they acknowlege they can't handle it.
  • scoote
    Managed to un-instruct Wolstenholmes today and instruct a more expensive but ultimately competent solicitor. After instructing Wolstenholmes 3 months ago they have done nothing. The sellers solicitors could not contact them, I could not contact them by phone or e-mail. If you want to make a complaint helen.murgatroyd(at)wolstenholmes.co.uk is head of complaints but you should appreciate she is a little snowed under...Don't touch them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,962Posts Today

8,838Users online

Martin's Twitter