One Account rates cut

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    on a lighter side , this made me laugh

http://www.badidea.co.uk/2008/12/sir-fred-goodwin-of-rbs-declared-worlds-worst-banker/

Sir Fred Goodwin of RBS Declared World’s Worst Banker

Surprising that an American magazine would try and pin all this mess on a Scot, but apparently Goodwin so singularly managed to “ace every requirement for a hubristic CEO” that it he just had to win.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/171688/page/1
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • They will probably try to force us to leave to a mortgage where although it has a lower rate, you cannot overpay...clever.
    But if they apply yesterdays cut I would be on 4.2%

No go, I say.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    lrr wrote: »
    Has anyone actually received a letter yet about the 1% rate cut as I haven't?

dated the 2nd December , turned up on the 3rd
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Not yet, no sign of letter, I wait patiently

I have no intention of leaving the One Account for an account with a 4.35% rate but no ability to repay faster..
    If the One Account are force to pass on the 1% I would be on 4.2% and be happy enough for now.
  • HOW MORTGAGE LENDERS RESPONDED

Lender: RBS
    SVR before Nov BoE Decision: 6.69%
    SVR After Nov BoE Decision: 5.19%
    Rate change (percentage points): -1.5

Lender: One Account (RBS)
    SVR before Nov BoE Decision: (avg) 6.55%
    SVR After Nov BoE Decision: 5.55%
    Rate change (percentage points): -1

BBC are reporting that this is the SVR for the One Account through RBS. RBS have reported that they will pass on the 1.5% cut in interest to all of its customers.

Looks as though RBS are using the One Account for profiteering, since now our rate is now 0.36% HIGHER than the SVR for RBS; and were previously 0.14% LOWER.

I'd like to know why I am being charged significantly more; when our rate should have fallen by the same amount according to RBS's own press release.

Big faux pas there RBS - fix it!
  • Just caught tail end of item on lunchtime news....I'm pretty sure I heard them say RBS/Natwest had dropped rate by 0.75%.

Anyone hear the same?
  • I haven't heard that, hope it applies to us,
    If not more letters, emails, petitions
    Pitchforks and torches?
  • Saran_2
    Saran_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Recorded message says full 1% from Dec 31st.
  • Doh
    Doh Posts: 168 Forumite
    grumpylisa wrote: »
    Hi, am in excactly the same situation as all you guys and after telling the one account I was going to walk, I recieved a phone call from a one account person asking me if I would like to transfer (No fee's, no valuation even!) to a fixed rate RBS mortgage at 4.39%. Only, he pointed out, being offered to one account customers. Whats all that about? Is the whole point in this that people leave in droves? Is a one account product not profitable (enough!)in this present climate? Would anyone else also email skynews? I'm going to when children asleep....

My theory on this is that RBS are worried about us all pulling our overpayments out. Some people may remember that earlier in the year OA was phoning round trying to talk people into lowering their facilities. Is it that if we all go nuts and pull 10's of thousands out to buy porsches they will then have ot borrow this money from somewhere to cover the costs?

Maybe thats an idea, as a protest we should all pull out a few thousand quid on the same day, dump it in a savings account for a week then transfer it back(or not)... if 170,000 people withdraw £10,000 thats an awful lot of cash RBS need to find/borrow from other banks:mad:

obviously encouraging people to close move their accounts would limit thier exposure to this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure