Sudden jump in data usage - iPhone

Options
ripplyuk
ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
I’m with Plusnet mobile and my plan has 1Gb of data per month. The maximum I have ever used is about 20% of that. I’ve had the same plan for years and my phone usage hasn’t changed lately in any way.

Yesterday I got a message telling me I have used almost all my data. I can’t understand why. I’ve checked what is using this and it’s a mix of all the normal apps I use but in much higher data amounts than usual. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is it a bug in the new software update? Is my phone faulty? Something definitely isn’t right.

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Something to do with the iOS update no doubt. This one went very warm and burned through 10% battery capacity in a few minutes; goodness knows what it was doing but it was very data intensive.
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you using 4G when previously using 3G? (A faster connection can request a more data-hungry page/video)
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    bsms1147 wrote: »
    Are you using 4G when previously using 3G? (A faster connection can request a more data-hungry page/video)

No, nothing has changed there. It was already using 4G.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I would check that you haven't got automatic app downloads turned on, it's under "settings", "iTunes & App Stores".

1GB per month on a smart phone is a very small amount of data, it seems pointless to me having a smart phone, and not using data while out and about. You might as well not have a 4G phone...
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    I would check that you haven't got automatic app downloads turned on, it's under "settings", "iTunes & App Stores".

1GB per month on a smart phone is a very small amount of data, it seems pointless to me having a smart phone, and not using data while out and about. You might as well not have a 4G phone...

Automatic app downloads is off.

I know 1GB isn’t much but I never use anywhere close to that so I didn’t see any point in changing plan. Mainly it’s just for the sat nav and some music.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you use the cloud make sure it’s set to WiFi only. Make sure social media is set to video autoplay and photos only on WiFi.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    is this the update to IOS13 ?

When I updated to 11 or 12 I noticed it starting using a lot more system data.

In the end I managed to get more data for less money on a black friday deal. or maybe it was a January deal actually
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    is this the update to IOS13 ?

When I updated to 11 or 12 I noticed it starting using a lot more system data.

In the end I managed to get more data for less money on a black friday deal. or maybe it was a January deal actually

Yes, it’s on 13.1.3

I was hoping this was a bug. Not permanent! I’m not the type who’s on my phone all the time, browsing etc. I don’t have Facebook or any social media on it. I literally just use data for directions and listening to music occasionally. If it’s using this much with me, it will cost a fortune for the average person who uses their phone more. Unless they have an unlimited data plan.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    iOS 13 has a “Low Data Mode” under Settings>Mobile Data>Mobile Data Options which helps apps reduce their data network use. Switch that on and see if it helps?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure