Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3876samf
    • By 3876samf 23rd Oct 19, 3:00 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 1Thanks
    3876samf
    Electricity company has allowed me to go back on direct debit, despite being in debt
    • 23rd Oct 19, 3:00 AM
    Electricity company has allowed me to go back on direct debit, despite being in debt 23rd Oct 19 at 3:00 AM
    Usually you are forced to use a pre payment meter but for some reason they have allowed me the option of going direct debit, why is this?

I havnt even finished getting below the 1000 or whatever debt mark.

Why do they do this why have they given me that option?

Im still on pre payment atm and I may go back on direct debit if I dont move out of this flat which is likely.
Page 1
    • RelievedSheff
    • By RelievedSheff 23rd Oct 19, 8:07 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    RelievedSheff
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:07 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:07 AM
    They have given you the option to take control of your own finances rather then them taking the responsibility of collecting the debt.

Where is the problem?

If you don't feel like you will be able to pay down the debt via direct debit then stay on the prepayment meter until the debt is fully repaid.

Being over 1000 in debt to your utility company does suggest that taking responsibility for your own finances didn't work out for you previously so may not work out for you again and you may be better off remaining on the prepayment plan.
    • 3876samf
    • By 3876samf 23rd Oct 19, 8:23 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    3876samf
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:23 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 8:23 AM
    They have given you the option to take control of your own finances rather then them taking the responsibility of collecting the debt.

Where is the problem?

If you don't feel like you will be able to pay down the debt via direct debit then stay on the prepayment meter until the debt is fully repaid.

Being over 1000 in debt to your utility company does suggest that taking responsibility for your own finances didn't work out for you previously so may not work out for you again and you may be better off remaining on the prepayment plan.
    Originally posted by RelievedSheff
    None, no problem, isnt it strange that they would risk losing money though on someone with a poor track record, its very good of them to allow me such an option I just dont understand it from a business perspective
    • Lisi299
    • By Lisi299 31st Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Lisi299
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 31st Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    They won’t lose any money as soon as you miss a payment they will put you back to prepayment, paying by DD both you and your supplier are better off
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 1st Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 1st Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1st Nov 19, 9:22 AM
    Unless you move home, you will not be able to move away from your supplier until the debt has been paid off. So they do have some leverage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

2,317Users online

Martin's Twitter