Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Felix12
    • By Felix12 22nd Oct 19, 1:55 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Felix12
    Dilemma at work advice needed
    • 22nd Oct 19, 1:55 PM
    Dilemma at work advice needed 22nd Oct 19 at 1:55 PM
    Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I was signed off sick from work with stress and anxiety for 2 months and the doctor sent a report to my employer to state I would benefit from reduced hours, so we had a meeting and all agreed I would go back 4 hours a day 5 days a week and then look at increasing this as I got back into the job, I returned to work 1 week ago on 4 hours per day and they have requested a meeting today and asked me to work an extra 8 hours this week and then return to full time next week, I said ok in the spur of the moment and then as I have returned to my desk I felt my feelings of anxiety return and felt like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and that they have not really listened to me or my doctor, since doing the 4 hours a day I have noticed that I've felt great and it's been manageable mentally and I've looked forward to going into work but now I feel I'm back to square 1 and feel I just want to run away from everything.

If I were to resign then I would not be eligible for any financial help until I got a part time position somewhere and if I handed in another sick note then I am frightened they will just dismiss me possibly hindering my chances at other employment in the future due to being sacked, I really dont know what to do for the best.

I could speak to them tomorrow but from what they are saying they need me back to full time like yesterday.

I really want to work there but I'm just not in a position to manage full time hours yet and may not be for a while, please could I have your advice as I feel totally stuck now.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 22nd Oct 19, 2:56 PM
    • 10,189 Posts
    • 12,360 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:56 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 2:56 PM
    Hello everyone,

I really need some advice, I was signed off sick from work with stress and anxiety for 2 months and the doctor sent a report to my employer to state I would benefit from reduced hours, so we had a meeting and all agreed I would go back 4 hours a day 5 days a week and then look at increasing this as I got back into the job, I returned to work 1 week ago on 4 hours per day and they have requested a meeting today and asked me to work an extra 8 hours this week and then return to full time next week, I said ok in the spur of the moment and then as I have returned to my desk I felt my feelings of anxiety return and felt like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and that they have not really listened to me or my doctor - they aren't obliged to listen to your doctor. , since doing the 4 hours a day I have noticed that I've felt great and it's been manageable mentally and I've looked forward to going into work but now I feel I'm back to square 1 and feel I just want to run away from everything.

If I were to resign then I would not be eligible for any financial help - who says you need to resign? until I got a part time position somewhere and if I handed in another sick note then I am frightened they will just dismiss me possibly hindering my chances at other employment in the future due to being sacked, I really dont know what to do for the best. - Why would getting sacked hinder your chances?

I could speak to them tomorrow but from what they are saying they need me back to full time like yesterday. - Look if you cant do the job, you cant do the job, let them dismiss you and get the relevant ESA / UC claim in

I really want to work there but I'm just not in a position to manage full time hours yet and may not be for a while, please could I have your advice as I feel totally stuck now.

Thank you
    Originally posted by Felix12

How long have you worked there?
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 22nd Oct 19, 3:24 PM
    • 5,231 Posts
    • 7,328 Thanks
    74jax
    • 22nd Oct 19, 3:24 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 3:24 PM
    I returned to work 1 week ago on 4 hours per day and they have requested a meeting today and asked me to work an extra 8 hours this week and then return to full time next week, I said ok in the spur of the moment and then as I have returned to my desk I felt my feelings of anxiety return and felt like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and that they have not really listened to me or my doctor.... .

Thank you
    I'm not sure why you feel your employer isn't listening.

They listened, gave you reduced hours and then asked to increase by 8 hours one week and back to full time the next week (a phased return in essence) and you said yes.

They took your doctors advice, then asked you if you felt ok to increase and you said yes. They aren't mind readers. I think pushing this back on them to be their fault is wrong on this occasion.

Ask for a meeting, explain you will increase by 8 hrs this week, then maybe 12hrs next week, ie more gradual.

They require a full time position so you must decide if you can you do it full time with a gradual increase in hours.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Felix12
    • By Felix12 22nd Oct 19, 4:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felix12
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:27 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:27 PM
    I have worked there for 1 year and 10 months
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 22nd Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 4:53 PM
    In that case, i'd keep your head down for two months!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Felix12
    • By Felix12 22nd Oct 19, 5:04 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felix12
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:04 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:04 PM
    Another question I have is that if I ended up signed off again, would my employer need to follow the dismissal procedure, written warning etc before my dismissal on the grounds of capabililty as I dont have any warnings on my record.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 22nd Oct 19, 5:05 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:05 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 5:05 PM
    Then keep in mind that your employer could simply choose to dismiss you without any reason. Protection against unfair dismissal only starts at two years service.
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 22nd Oct 19, 6:03 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 22nd Oct 19, 6:03 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 6:03 PM
    It maybe won't help, but can I ask why you had stress and anxiety, and why you needed two months off work (which is a lot of time)? And have you any previous metal health problems; and if so did you declare these to the employer?
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 22nd Oct 19, 8:01 PM
    • 3,860 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 22nd Oct 19, 8:01 PM
    • 22nd Oct 19, 8:01 PM

Thank you
    Speak to your GP. On the 12th June I saw mine after being ripped to bits on here on 10th June, my GP after being the only one to listen wrote a fit note after hearing the year to date events - I was not sanctioned for leaving a Job on 10th June.

On the 16th June, pretty powerless I watched my pet die.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • eamon
    • By eamon 22nd Oct 19, 8:39 PM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    eamon
    From your employers pov the suggested phase return was too open ended. How about you meet them more that half way. Assuming that you work a 40 hr week.

This week 4 x 6 hour days this week. That gives them the extra hours.

Next week full day Monday, half day Tuesday, full day Wednesday, 6 hrs Thursday & Friday. That should equal 32 hours.
    Week 3, make the jump to 40 hours.

Two to three weeks phased return is usually about the norm unless you have a generous employer.
    • Felix12
    • By Felix12 23rd Oct 19, 7:35 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felix12
    Hi, yes it was work related stress, also personal stress my father suffered a severe brain injury, was in a coma and almost died, I have always suffered from anxiety but of course with what happened this just magnified my anxiety, traumatised me and I could not cope so trying now to get my life back on track slowly.
    • Felix12
    • By Felix12 23rd Oct 19, 7:38 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felix12
    Comment above is a reply to blatchford
    • Felix12
    • By Felix12 23rd Oct 19, 7:40 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felix12
    Blatchford also, yes my employer is fully aware of my issues I have always been upfront about what has happened and what I have felt like.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 23rd Oct 19, 8:01 AM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Another question I have is that if I ended up signed off again, would my employer need to follow the dismissal procedure, written warning etc before my dismissal on the grounds of capabililty as I dont have any warnings on my record.
    Not unless it is a contractual requirement, which would be unusual.

Even if it is a contractual requirement and they didn't follow it, you would have only very limited redress. In theory it would be wrongful dismissal (for which you could make a claim as there is no two year qualifying period). However, all that would get you is a few days pay to make up for however long it would have taken them to follow proper procedure.
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 23rd Oct 19, 8:03 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Blatchford
    Assuming you wish to return to work, and you may not, it is possible that you could ask for the phased return as a reasonable adjustment on the basis of disability (you may be disabled, but there isn't quite enough information to say so). The employer might be inclined to provide a more considered and careful return if they think a disability is concerned. But that would only be a stop gap - you'd still have to go back up to full time hours and be able to cope unless you ask for a permanent change/ reduction of hours. Which they may not grant anyway.

If you are determined to not return, then resigning whilst still off sick is probably the safest route to benefits- but that doesn't solve your problems, it just creates a new set of problems.

What do you actually want to do? It's easier to advise if we know.
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 24th Oct 19, 7:24 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Blatchford
    Speak to your GP. On the 12th June I saw mine after being ripped to bits on here on 10th June, my GP after being the only one to listen wrote a fit note after hearing the year to date events - I was not sanctioned for leaving a Job on 10th June.

On the 16th June, pretty powerless I watched my pet die.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    You were not "ripped to bits" on here on 10th June. You allegedly got to work two minutes late, over-reacted, and told your employer you were quitting. People were actually very supportive, and you then overreacted again and were exceedingly rude to posters. Even then nobody ripped you to bits.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6012086
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 24th Oct 19, 4:13 PM
    • 10,189 Posts
    • 12,360 Thanks
    Comms69
    They weren't ripped to bits, but I can totally see why keepcalmandstayoutofdebt became a bit inflamed when elsien pretty much dismissed their perfectly legitimate employment query on the basis of their previous posting history, and elsien's uncanny knowledge of keepcalmandstayoutofdebt's personal life and what they have been/are going through. EDIT: And Kentish Dave for withdrawing advice simply because of keepcalm getting frustrated by elsien, but can live with that given they have been PPR'd...

Davy Jones II seems to have similar psychic powers. They allegedly fall shy of calling the user a "liar" , but the phrase "it looks as though you are making it up" casts doubt on that claim.

For posterity, let's quote them:

(the saddest part is that keepcalm actually provided perfectly sound ADVICE, and that has been swiftly overlooked by a select few).

Some people are really doing this forum a discredit at the moment...
    Originally posted by Les79

Kentish Dave had a habit of advising landlords to illegally evict (by force) their tenants; I'm glad they are no longer here
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 24th Oct 19, 4:15 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 3,904 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    In case people genuinely do not know - Anxiety is a mental health condition.

Would you ask a schizophrenic why they had schizophrenia? Would you ask a cancer patient why they had cancer?

Sufferers do not always know what is causing it, and sometimes they have anxiety for nothing that is to do with real life - and then it spills over into real life and makes even the most stress-free jobs, quite hard to manage

I think it might aid some posters to read the below, to get some understanding and then consider how they talk to people.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.XbG_yjBKiUk
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 24th Oct 19, 4:23 PM
    • 10,189 Posts
    • 12,360 Thanks
    Comms69
    In case people genuinely do not know - Anxiety is a mental health condition.

Would you ask a schizophrenic why they had schizophrenia? Would you ask a cancer patient why they had cancer?

Sufferers do not always know what is causing it, and sometimes they have anxiety for nothing that is to do with real life - and then it spills over into real life and makes even the most stress-free jobs, quite hard to manage

I think it might aid some posters to read the below, to get some understanding and then consider how they talk to people.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.XbG_yjBKiUk
    Originally posted by pickledonionspaceraider
    Sorry im confused on the relevance?
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 24th Oct 19, 4:33 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 3,904 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    Sorry im confused on the relevance?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    This is a thread where someone is suffering anxiety & people are asking 'why do you have anxiety/so much time off work?.. OOoo that seems a lot'..

For no reason, when they aren't gonna offer advice or have anything helpful to say

I am pointing out it is an illness. No one wants to be anxious, no one choose it, my god it can be a life ruiner

So pretty much entirely relevant - as certain people do not seem to understand this at all.

This forum is not a safe place to open up. Unless people have anything helpful to say, then I am not sure why they are posting negativity. I mean some people need have some humanity for gods sakes

PS that last bit is not aimed at you Comms.
    Last edited by pickledonionspaceraider; 24-10-2019 at 4:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,001Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter