PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Green deal

Hi,

Has anyone had solar panels installed?

Have offered on a property that has a green deal for solar panels, vendor said they will come to an agreement to pay off and are looking for me to contribute towards this, possibly £1500.

They have not had any payment for the energy generate, can anyone give me advice as I’m feeling lost

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't see why you should be contributing to paying off the Green Deal, especially since the vendor says they have never had a payment from any feed in tariff.

It's for the vendor to pay it off is what my solicitor said when I last looked into the Green Deal.

There have been reports where buyers have pulled out rather than be saddled with ongoing Green Deal payments added to their engery bills and vendors have had to pay off such agreements.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lisa199211 wrote: »
    Has anyone had solar panels installed?

Have offered on a property that has a green deal for solar panels, vendor said they will come to an agreement to pay off and are looking for me to contribute towards this, possibly £1500.

They have not had any payment for the energy generate, can anyone give me advice as I’m feeling lost

When I bought my house, it wasn't even raised that the solar panels were a separate item.
    That would be like putting your house up for sale, then saying that you wanted £2,000 extra for the garage.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    i would make the vendor pay, wouldn't want to be paying it myself. Is it just the panels or are they paying for a boiler also?
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • That’s what my partner thinks.

Green deal has round 18 years left to run and it’s only for the solar panels
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That’s what my partner thinks.

Green deal has round 18 years left to run and it’s only for the solar panels

Some 'green deals' are linked to the energy meter, not the house holder. I believe, not 100% sure
  • Thanks all.

I have asked the solicitor to have the vendor pay off the green deal before I take ownership, if they say no then I’ll look for another property.

The houses sale fell through recently due to the solar panels, need to wait and see what they say
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have asked the solicitor to have the vendor pay off the green deal before I take ownership, if they say no then I’ll look for another property.

That would have been my position also.
    When this green deal lark came out, I had a quick look at it as a way of funding some improvements (boiler, double glazing, insulation). It didn't take long to work out that the interest payments made it an extremely expensive way of funding the work. Sure, I would have saved a little on energy costs, but no where near enough to make a green deal remotely attractive.

Buying a house and taking on someone else's debt, not a hope in hell.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Having worked my way through the Green Deal information on the government website, I have established that we would be eligible for grants to make our home more energy efficient.

We would like to re-configure our home to do this so will require some building work to be done.

This will allow us to do a mixture of measures:

·         replace our boiler

·         install underfloor heating,

·         fit new heating controls

·         install cavity wall installation

·         fit new outside doors

·         Upgrade from single to double glazing

My questions is; whilst I can see search from tradespeople who can do specific jobs, is there approved tradespeople that can do all of the jobs and also do the building work on our home too?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback