Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:14 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Edf Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
Page 15
    • mikech
    • By mikech 1st Sep 19, 9:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mikech
    Just looked at signing up with EDF simply online offered on the MSE Cheap energy club.
    Which says this on MSE CEC:-
    "EDF says it will contact you about getting smart meters fitted, though you can refuse and stay on this tariff. "
    But the TC when you switch go to sign up are actually this on moneysupermarket.
    "That if you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted.
    You can arrange to have a smart meter installed by visiting edfenergy.
    com/getsmart or by calling us on 0333 200 5104.
    If you do not have a smart meter installed within 3 months of being
    supplied on the Simply Online tariff your contract will come to an end
    and you will be charged an early exit fee of £35 per fuel. "
    Will give that a miss, that's gonna cost £35 if you refuse the smart meters. Wonder if EDF are falling short of fulfilling their smart meter commitment.
    • Ageing Stick Insect
    • By Ageing Stick Insect 1st Sep 19, 9:50 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Ageing Stick Insect
    I decided not to renew with EDF because of the ambiguity around smart meters. I’ve gone with Octopus and will be switching at the end of September. They definitely do not insist on a smart meter.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

3.84kWp Panasonic / Solar Edge
    1.44kWp ESE, 1.2kWp SSW, 1.2kWp WNW
    • thor
    • By thor 3rd Sep 19, 1:47 AM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    thor
    I'm currently about 18 months in to a 2 year contract with edf. I have a smart meter from a previous supplier which has now gone dumb and so far EDF have not even asked me to have their meter installed. Having said that, I would have had no qualms if they required it and next year if EDF are still the cheapest I will stay with them and accept their smart meter if it is offered.
    • AlexaG
    • By AlexaG 5th Sep 19, 6:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AlexaG
    Switching to EDF energy
    Hi there,

Do any of you who are on a fixed tariff with EDF (preferably dual fuel) really pay the same amount every month?

I'm really confused with all these tariffs as it is, as I've been paying variable amounts to EDF for 2 years now, even though I am on a fixed tariff, but I've done the comparison thing with Cheap Energy Club and it shows substantial savings if I change to EDF on a fixed tariff. However, I'm wondering if the amount shown there is what I will really be paying every month?

What's your experience with EDF so far? I'd really appreciate any enlightenment anyone could give me as I feel lost with all this energy stuff..

Many many thanks xx
    • Ageing Stick Insect
    • By Ageing Stick Insect 5th Sep 19, 6:35 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Ageing Stick Insect
    Hi there,

Do any of you who are on a fixed tariff with EDF (preferably dual fuel) really pay the same amount every month?

I'm really confused with all these tariffs as it is, as I've been paying variable amounts to EDF for 2 years now, even though I am on a fixed tariff, but I've done the comparison thing with Cheap Energy Club and it shows substantial savings if I change to EDF on a fixed tariff. However, I'm wondering if the amount shown there is what I will really be paying every month?

What's your experience with EDF so far? I'd really appreciate any enlightenment anyone could give me as I feel lost with all this energy stuff..

Many many thanks xx
    Originally posted by AlexaG

I've been with EDF for 6 years and my monthly payments for each 12-month period remained the same more or less. They have gone down because I had solar panels installed in 2014.

Providing you've added up a year's consumption for gas and electricity and entered that into your prefered switching company that should provide EDF with a good idea of what they need to charge you so if the amounts are varying you should challenge them. Of course it also depends on what time of year you sign up. Spring means you'll use les than you pay but autumn means you'll use more than you pay.

I'm switching to Octopus in a few weeks as I don't want a smart meter and EDF have just sent me my bill from my own meter readings and have told me they'll be refunding me over £70 whilst increasing my DD.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

• tk47
    • By tk47 5th Sep 19, 6:44 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    tk47
    Hi there,

Many many thanks xx
    When we were with EDF (many years ago) we paid a fixed amount every month by DD.
    Are you sure that is what you seclected? Or are you paying on receipt of bill? i.e. variable direct debit.

The only other thing I recall is they did try to change the DD several times, but up and down, all unjustified in our opinion.

When we called them to challenge the change in monthly payment, they agreed to hold it as was ... until their next review.
    • tk47
    • By tk47 5th Sep 19, 6:48 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    tk47
    Hi there,

Many many thanks xx
    You are confused?

Well you have confused me as I just saw your preceeding post (posted about 25 mins before the one in this thread), and you say you are supplied by SSE on a dual fuel tariff.
    • AlexaG
    • By AlexaG 6th Sep 19, 1:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AlexaG
    Yes, sorry, I mean I've been with SSE and now I've been doing the comparison thing on here and EDF shows up as my best option for a switch out of the big 6.
    So I'm just researching everyone's experience with EDF now

My apologies for the confusion x
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Sep 19, 2:39 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I do like EDF, but I recommend you don't use their complaints procedure unless

1) you really have to
    2) You have your phone with you all day
    • fossyf
    • By fossyf 9th Sep 19, 8:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fossyf
    Please clarify
    "That if you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted.
    com/get smart or by calling us on 0333 200 5104.
    and you will be charged an early exit fee of £35 per fuel. "

Mikech, Can you please clarify where you got the above statement as on EDF's t&c's I have the following:

3. Energy price, tariff features and charges

"If you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted, or, if you decide you don’t want one installed, you can opt out by letting us know."

"Smart meters automatically send us your meter readings, meaning that you don’t have to. Smart meters help make estimated bills^ a thing of the past and allow you to take control of your energy consumption. It is your choice whether or not you would like to have a Smart meter installed at your property. By signing up to this tariff you agree to either having a Smart meter fitted when we’re installing them in your area, or letting us know if you’d prefer not to have one"

As per link

3ws.moneysupermarket.com/gas-and-electricity/policydocuments/R1266R883.pdf

Thanks
    Last edited by fossyf; 09-09-2019 at 8:10 PM. Reason: adding more info
    • kes 65
    • By kes 65 9th Sep 19, 11:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kes 65
    Simply online 1 year fix Sept.20 v4 welcome pack pdf is on EDF website.
    https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/energy-tariffs/tariff-terms
    • Tigery
    • By Tigery 19th Sep 19, 10:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tigery
    Trying to move to EDF at the moment. My previous/still current supplier (AVRO) raised an objection due to an outstanding balance (an additional topic in its own right) which I paid in full weeks ago and for which I got an email telling me the objection was lifted.
    I contacted EDF at the time to check that everything was now in place for the move to happen seamlessly, which they confirmed.
    A month later, to my surprise, AVRO took their regular (and expensive) direct debit again. I was about to complain to them but looked into it.

It turns out EDF had not retried the transfer and only did so on a monthlyish basis and that one of my utilities had transferred now but the other had not (no reason given) and that I would have to resubmit.

So I've wasted money and a lot of time to try and understand where I am at whilst being fobbed off by the charade that they call customer service.

Given the choice again. I would pay a few more pounds and get a supplier with good rated customer service...

Anyone who reads this might be wise to do the sam
    • KrisP
    • By KrisP 22nd Oct 19, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    KrisP
    How accurate is the Cheap Energy Club information?
    Recently signed up with an energy provider to find that one of the tariffs is priced more than that advertised. Awaiting a positive outcome from the energy provider, however to date they have advised to wait until I'm invoiced to confirm I'm being charged at the rate I signed up for.
    I fear that the incorrect rate shown in my online account for the energy supplier is what I will be charged.
    For all those switching energy suppliers, it is a good idea to confirm the advertised rates match the contracted rates, otherwise deal may not provide the best savings.
    • themonk3106
    • By themonk3106 30th Oct 19, 2:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    themonk3106
    SMART meter must be installed.
    Greetings,

Signed up with EDF for another year. Didn't receive anything from them regarding my Tariff switchover via email. The only thing I have received from EDF is email concerning a SMART Meter and a meter read.
    Logged into my account today found a letter addressed the 11th which states I have a 14 day cooling off period after I signed up for the new tariff which already was up before they printed this letter. So no cooling off period.
    With regards to the new Tariff buried in the T&C's (which are so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them) it states:
    SIGNING UP FOR THIS TARIFF MEANS YOU AGREE TO:
    • Manage your account entirely online – you won’t have access to our
    call centre, but our online Chat advisers and Help Centre are available
    24/7
    • Provide a valid email address and register for MyAccount – if you
    prefer phone support, this tariff isn’t for you
    • Receive your bills, account information and updates electronically –
    paper communication isn’t an option with this tariff
    • Have both your electricity and gas supplied by EDF Energy (or
    electricity only if you don’t have a mains gas supply to your property).
    • That if you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted.
    and you will be charged an early exit fee of £35 per fuel. We will then
    continue to supply you on our deemed contract scheme until:-
    - you enter into a new contract with us (in which case we will cancel
    your exit fee) or
    - you change supplier.
    Our deemed contract scheme has a different price to our Simply Online
    tariff. You can find details at edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r505_
    deemed_rate_card.pdf

This does not work"edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r505_
    deemed_rate_card.pdf"

And I do not agree with their statements.

Nowhere within the Tariff under "Additional products or services included" on MSE Energy Club does it state a SMART Meter is mandatory.

MSE Energy club should have deals for those who have SMART Meters and those who haven't. This claptrap about SMART Meters save you money is hogwash. SMART Meters save the Energy Companies money by not employing Meter Readers.

I don't WANT a SMART Meter in my home and if EDF and myself cannot come to some reasonable understanding it is therefore its going to cost me money.
    • Ageing Stick Insect
    • By Ageing Stick Insect 30th Oct 19, 9:01 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Ageing Stick Insect
    That's why I switched to Octopus. Just didn't trust EDF. What they're saying though is you can refuse a meter but have to pay for the privilege. Take your business elsewhere.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

• Kowman
    • By Kowman 4th Nov 19, 2:28 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kowman
    Greetings,

Signed up with EDF for another year. Didn't receive anything from them regarding my Tariff switchover via email. The only thing I have received from EDF is email concerning a SMART Meter and a meter read.
    Logged into my account today found a letter addressed the 11th which states I have a 14 day cooling off period after I signed up for the new tariff which already was up before they printed this letter. So no cooling off period.
    With regards to the new Tariff buried in the T&C's (which are so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them) it states:
    SIGNING UP FOR THIS TARIFF MEANS YOU AGREE TO:
    • Manage your account entirely online – you won’t have access to our
    call centre, but our online Chat advisers and Help Centre are available
    24/7
    • Provide a valid email address and register for MyAccount – if you
    prefer phone support, this tariff isn’t for you
    • Receive your bills, account information and updates electronically –
    paper communication isn’t an option with this tariff
    • Have both your electricity and gas supplied by EDF Energy (or
    electricity only if you don’t have a mains gas supply to your property).
    • That if you do not have a smart meter you agree to have one fitted.
    and you will be charged an early exit fee of £35 per fuel. We will then
    continue to supply you on our deemed contract scheme until:-
    - you enter into a new contract with us (in which case we will cancel
    your exit fee) or
    - you change supplier.
    Our deemed contract scheme has a different price to our Simply Online
    tariff. You can find details at edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r505_
    deemed_rate_card.pdf

This does not work"edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r505_
    deemed_rate_card.pdf"

And I do not agree with their statements.

Nowhere within the Tariff under "Additional products or services included" on MSE Energy Club does it state a SMART Meter is mandatory.

MSE Energy club should have deals for those who have SMART Meters and those who haven't. This claptrap about SMART Meters save you money is hogwash. SMART Meters save the Energy Companies money by not employing Meter Readers.

I don't WANT a SMART Meter in my home and if EDF and myself cannot come to some reasonable understanding it is therefore its going to cost me money.
    Originally posted by themonk3106
    I totally agree with you about the smart meters.

That Tariff sounds as if it is a breach of disability legislation for people who are dyslexic and would struggle to use online chat.

You were never served with the letter (it sitting on their portal does not count as service).

Get the Tariff cancelled and get away from EDF

As I understand it nobody can be forced to have a smart meter, their assertion of your agreement is not your agreement, I gather they just move you to a different tariff if you refuse.

The cooling off period has not happened so demand they cancel it or else take the dispute to the ombudsman which will cost them £350.
    • charlie1314
    • By charlie1314 4th Nov 19, 2:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    charlie1314
    Scottish power charging 28p per say to maintain your meter rip off l contacted other top 6 energy plcs to ask how much they charge for meter maintenance Ovo Edf ,Eon did not answer l got a depending on so your tariffs are not so money saving . Scottish power charge me 28p per day to maintain a out dated meter
    • Melb8612
    • By Melb8612 5th Nov 19, 7:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Melb8612
    Switching to EDF
    Hi everyone. We switched to EDF and gave them accurate readings. The new price is now £30 more a month that our original quote. I contacted them but don’t understand any of the jargon. We are now paying what we paid with our old supplier. Can any1 help? Thanks
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 5th Nov 19, 10:10 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Gerry1
    You need to think in terms of annual costs for the amount you use. The DD is just a contribution to a glorified kitty. Give monthly readings and ask for a refund if a sizeable credit builds up.

Alternatively, seek a supplier that allows variable direct debits where you pay for the exact amount you use each month, just like a petrol pump.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter