Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 13
    • Grandad2b
    • By Grandad2b 4th Sep 19, 4:37 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Grandad2b
    I've just gone through the pain of getting renewal quotes (again).
    Sadly MoneySupermarket doesn't seem to like me as it has been spinning around [not] getting quotes for the last three hours.
    Anyway, not to worry, my quote from Go Compare was over £100 less than from any of the others
    • joho
    • By joho 7th Sep 19, 4:57 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    joho
    Now that insurers have to tell you what last years insurance cost when sending you a renewal, it's worth remembering NOT to take their word for it. Tesco offered us a renewal price of £467 saying that last year had cost £507. But we only paid £437 last year. We went elsewhere and got it even cheaper than last year.
    There - in that place; they're - they are; their - owned by them.
    If you have nothing constructive to say, just move along.
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 11th Sep 19, 11:42 AM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    10_66
    Comparisons for car insurance
    I've just carried out the usual annual comparisons using MoneySupermarket and Confused, but for the first time neither of them have included the company we're currently with (RIAS). Does anyone know if this is now the norm? I know previous years' it shows current insurance companies too.
    • gropinginthedark
    • By gropinginthedark 12th Sep 19, 9:36 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    gropinginthedark
    Like for like cover...
    One of the "problems" your old insurer will raise when you say you've found a better deal elsewhere is "ah yes, you might have found a cheaper quote elsewhere but it probably provides a poorer level of cover".

If you ever try to compare two insurance quotes there WILL be differences, maybe just at a detail level. I bet comparing any two policies each will provide "poorer cover" when considering specific features. Policy A is "poorer" than policy B because A has a high "windscreen excess", B has none. But then policy B is poorer than A because A includes key replacement, B doesn't.

Wouldn't it be great if someone relatively "trusted" like MSE or the consumers association ("Which") published a set of "standard" insurance specifications (low cost, premium and sensible "middle way") and give insurers an "MSE approved" sticker for policies that meet (or exceed) the specification.

For what it's worth, my insurance quote (Toyota) went up very little (broadly in line with inflation) for the first 2 renewals which is fair enough. Year 3 it was up by over 20% despite no claims. I used the MSE system and got top-end cover (from Aviva) for less, then got £70 cashback. I'll not be winning any award for "MSE cheapest renewal" but I've got very good cover for a price I'm happy with.
    Last edited by gropinginthedark; 12-09-2019 at 9:48 AM.
    • butterfly72
    • By butterfly72 13th Sep 19, 5:12 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    butterfly72
    So I got my Admiral car renewal in and amazingly it's £35 cheaper than last year and that's with a window screen claim (I know they say these claims don't make a difference - but I'm sure they do!). I've spent a couple of hours comparing prices and nothing came close to the renewal. One quote was for 1.1K more...not sure what happened there! So have stuck with Admiral again for this year. Also, don't forget you can use your credit card now, fee free, to gain any cash back..as long as you PAY IN FULL!!
    Originally posted by butterfly72
    This is my report from last year and I'm going to add to it again today! I got my Admiral renewal which again was cheaper than last year. Again, just to be sure I got a few quotes and none of them came anywhere near my renewal. I rang Admiral and asked if they could to it any cheaper...and they discounted it by £52 (keeping legal, ncb protection and all the extras) so well pleased! They mentioned I was a loyal customer and they would like to keep me. So hats off to them.
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
    • Gurutrish
    • By Gurutrish 18th Sep 19, 5:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gurutrish
    Renewal Bombshell
    I am with RAC until 03/10 this year, I have been with them as my quote went down sent year, only by about £35 but was competitve. I paid around £485 for my annual insurance in 2018. One year on and their renewal was £2038!!!!

I called to tell them I am not renewing, they didn't even fluster, and cancelled the auto-renewal, text came through whilst I was still talking to the advisor.

Granted - 1 windscreen claim, 2 non-fault accidents NCD intact and 1 incident - no claim.

5 hours spent on comparison sites + independent sites.

£557 with Hedgehog on Comparethemarket and £535 on confused.com! Went through comparethemarket. The 2 4 1 on Comparethemarket was more beneficial. Amended the quote on Hedgehog directly, added dashcam and the final cost including legal cover (for peace of mind) + protected NCD £498! + £26 cashback on Topcashback.
    • Martin81162
    • By Martin81162 28th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Martin81162
    Forgotten details
    Moneysupermarket has forgotten all my car insurance details. Strangley, it's still got all my home insurance details stored.
    Martin
    • Shenstone
    • By Shenstone 7th Oct 19, 11:38 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Shenstone
    I've just been through the quoting process using the MSE recommended sequence and have saved £331 across car and House from the Admiral multicover policy renewal offer ..

I have changed jobs (from working to retired) but when I phoned Admiral this and the resulting reduction in planned mileage was only going to reduce it by about £30 … so I recon I am still £300 better off

AS has often been said here loyalty costs in this market...
    • madmum8335
    • By madmum8335 21st Oct 19, 6:12 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    madmum8335
    modified vehicle?
    Quote taken from Tesco renewal schedule:
    The vehicle has been adapted, altered or modified from the manufacturers original
    specification that alters its performance (such as engine or exhaust modifications or changes)
    or appearance (such as bodykits, spoilers, alloy wheels, lowered suspension or blacked
    out windows), other than manufacturer options fitted to the car from new or adaptions made
    purely for disabled use (such as hand controls and wheelchair access)

On reading this, I would take it that if a car has been (professionally) fitted with a disability ramp, it does not need to be 'disclosed' as being modified? Or am I being thick/naive?
    My son's new vehicle has and, even though none of us are disabled, having the ramp suits his purpose (2 elderly dogs in family )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,986Posts Today

7,955Users online

Martin's Twitter