Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 24th Aug 19, 1:27 PM
    • 4,984Posts
    • 39,872Thanks
    Katiehound
    RAC breakdown
    • 24th Aug 19, 1:27 PM
    RAC breakdown 24th Aug 19 at 1:27 PM
    I was going to wait until I had feedback from RAC's investigation but that doesn't seem to be forthcoming. Clearly they are as prompt dealing with complaints as they are with actual breakdowns!

As briefly as possible.
    Broke down in a small town less than 90 miles from home 10.15am. At max that is a 3 hour drive.
    Hot day (30 degrees) on my own, with 2 dogs.
    Car had to be pushed to get away from major junction, onto pavement.
    It wasn't going anywhere. (Turns out clutch had gone)
    Patrolman appeared at 4.30pm
    Tow truck appeared at 11.15pm- 13 hours after reporting
    Got home at 03.10 next day. Got bed after 21 hour day.
    Not a happy bunny (understatement)

Complained!!
    RAC will investigate within 20 working days- their time frame
    20 working days has been and gone (Tues this week)
    Zero, zilch, nada........

Am I impressed??
    Needless to say I have no confidence in their so-called 'service'
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

Page 2
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 27th Aug 19, 1:33 PM
    • 7,112 Posts
    • 5,374 Thanks
    sheramber
    We use Green Flag and have used them twice.

the first occasion the car developed a fault near home so we limped home. Our local garage advised not using at all. He didn't have a tow truck so suggested our breakdown service.

This was Friday afternoon so OH called Green Flag on Saturday morning.

The call handler insisted of having a time for pickup although OH said we wouldn't be going anywhere.

The call handler said he didn't like open arrangements and settled on 1pm.

Tow truck arrived on time and delivered our car to our local garage. putting th keys through the the letter box as it was closed.

The second time it was two burst tyres from a pothole.

Tow truck arrived when we expected, knowing where it was coming from- 50 miles away in a rural area.

He dropped myself and two dogs off at home on the way to the local garage and dropped my husband back home after delivering the car. He passed the house on the way.

All the breakdown services use local garages up here and Green Flag is the cheapest.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 27th Aug 19, 3:31 PM
    • 29,505 Posts
    • 12,135 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    RAC would not budge on the price so I cancelled.

Seems you pay their silly price just once and your discounts are thrown out the window.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 27th Sep 19, 1:54 PM
    • 4,984 Posts
    • 39,872 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Okay

Here's the feedback.
    RAC sent me e-mail 18 or 19 Sept.(not a letter as I requested.)
    Their aim is to investigate within 20 days! but they have to complete within 8 weeks - think this is an ombudsman stipulation. They must have come close to/at the deadline.

A whole blurb about 'long distance' breakdown......excuses. Personally I don't think 90 miles, next county is long distance and that was the least of my complaints- WHEN truck finally appeared.

Nothing about specific issues.

They apologise and say it was totally unacceptable service.
    I have accepted ex gratia payment which equals annual fee.
    I could go to ombudsman and attempt to claim for worry etc but life's too short.
    I would report the whole thing to Saga but I can not find a suitable phone number to do so. Customer Services don't appear on any list.

In the past I have been a member of AA and they have been good to reasonable. I do not expect a patrol to appear immediately as I am (and have been) in rural areas but I reckon 2/3 hours is reasonable but 6 hours in beyond the pale!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th Sep 19, 1:59 PM
    • 13,425 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Who is this Ombudsman ??
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 27th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Who is this Ombudsman ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    These breakdown services count as insurance so come under the remit of the Financial Ombudsman Service. Hence having to complain to the company first, who have eight weeks to respond before you can take the matter to the FOS.

So too does boiler cover like British Gas so called HomeCare!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,792Posts Today

8,830Users online

Martin's Twitter