Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rich9573
    • By Rich9573 24th Sep 19, 9:55 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Rich9573
    Spouse VISA extortion
    • 24th Sep 19, 9:55 PM
    Spouse VISA extortion 24th Sep 19 at 9:55 PM
    Hi All,

Bit about me: I am 28 have a decent job, wife and a 5 month old son. We have a house with a 35 year mortgage.

My wife is Malaysian, she studied here and has now lived in the UK for around 7 years. She is coming up for her 2nd round of renewing her spouse visa which will last another 2.5 years after which I will have to pay again. I was looking at the cost for this round and it now 3000.

This is seriously getting ridiculous as it is going to cost us almost 10k just so we can be together. We are already tight on money as we try and pay off our mortgage, look after our son and try to put something into our pension. It really seems that the UK government is punishing me for marrying someone out of the UK.

I honestly feel this is unlawful and discrimination. What do you guys think? I really want to somehow take this further. I mean currently in society we already have enough going on with without this kicking us down more.

Sorry maybe i'm here to vent but I honestly think this is unfair and cannot hold up.
Page 1
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 24th Sep 19, 10:27 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:27 PM
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:27 PM
    It may seem unfair but it is not discrimination (rules exist for all immigrants except for those from the EU, which of course will probably change soon) and it is certainly not unlawful, by definition as it is the law.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • Rich9573
    • By Rich9573 24th Sep 19, 10:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rich9573
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:59 PM
    • 24th Sep 19, 10:59 PM
    Yea, might have taken it too far it just seems crazy that the costs for the paper work are around 150 not 3k....
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 25th Sep 19, 12:12 AM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 4,210 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 25th Sep 19, 12:12 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 12:12 AM
    Is there any reason why she can't apply for British Citizenship - simply don't know anything about it but just wondering.
    • Atypi Gal
    • By Atypi Gal 25th Sep 19, 12:31 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Atypi Gal
    • 25th Sep 19, 12:31 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 12:31 AM
    It is possible that as the family member of an EU citizen she might have the automatic right to live in the UK with merely a residence card rather than needing to apply for a visa. Or has she fewer rights than EU nationals' spouses because of the fact you're a UK citizen? Yes, this is actually a thing... when I lived in Finland as the spouse of a Finnish citizen we had to provide evidence of income, while EU immigrants do not have this requirement! This is because EU countries are forced to follow EU rules for EU immigrants, but are allowed to be jerks to their own citizens. So yes, it's discrimination if they treat you less favourably than an immigrant. And it feels abysmal I can tell you. You have my sympathies, Rich9573.

Perhaps worth checking with the home office about her 'EU family members' rights just in case. Mention that she has the right as a family member of an EU citizen to live here and ask why she cannot just go down the EU residence permit route. Nothing to lose.
    • Rich9573
    • By Rich9573 25th Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rich9573
    • 25th Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    Thanks Atypi Gal. Glad its not just us who feels this way. Honestly not many people experience it but it really is horrible. I'll give it a shot asking them about a residence card but with Brexit it might not work :/ Although I have nothing to lose. I just really wish they lowered there prices to something reasonable.

To answer about he becoming a British Citizenship she needs a PR first and then she can apply for it which has another cost.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 25th Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    _shel
    • 25th Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    It is possible that as the family member of an EU citizen she might have the automatic right to live in the UK with merely a residence card rather than needing to apply for a visa. Or has she fewer rights than EU nationals' spouses because of the fact you're a UK citizen? Yes, this is actually a thing... when I lived in Finland as the spouse of a Finnish citizen we had to provide evidence of income, while EU immigrants do not have this requirement! This is because EU countries are forced to follow EU rules for EU immigrants, but are allowed to be jerks to their own citizens. So yes, it's discrimination if they treat you less favourably than an immigrant. And it feels abysmal I can tell you. You have my sympathies, Rich9573.

Perhaps worth checking with the home office about her 'EU family members' rights just in case. Mention that she has the right as a family member of an EU citizen to live here and ask why she cannot just go down the EU residence permit route. Nothing to lose.
    Originally posted by Atypi Gal
    Doesn't apply to spouses of British citizens in the U.K. unless they first reside in another EU country exercising treaty rights.
    • Rich9573
    • By Rich9573 25th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rich9573
    • 25th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    So guess I'm trapped and have to go through the process......Tbh with Brexit on the horizon it might have not been the best method anyway.

Is there anyway we can raise awareness about this system being completely unfair?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Sep 19, 10:30 AM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 25th Sep 19, 10:30 AM
    • 25th Sep 19, 10:30 AM
    Yes via your local MPs clinic .
    • Rich9573
    • By Rich9573 25th Sep 19, 10:47 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rich9573
    Thanks I've sent them a letter.

I'll keep you updated on what they say.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 25th Sep 19, 12:01 PM
    • 3,736 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Sharon87
    It's just the way it is! You can contact your MP to say how unfair you think the charges are, but unless lots of other people speak up it's not going to make much difference.

My sister in law has gone through the same process, she's about to apply for citizenship now. It's cost them so much money, but because they researched into the costs they saved up the money for it.

There's more costs now - the NHS fee (despite her working and paying NI for years!). So these things have increased the costs. It's the Tory government that have put the fees up, possible to discourage immigration to the poorer people (sounds like a Tory thing to me!).

I'd say there's not much you can do except for save up. After the 2.5 years she'll have the leave to remain to pay for - which is even more money.

For a rough guide this youtuber has given the costs of his citizenship:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvzTOmEPYyE
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 25th Sep 19, 3:28 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 6,085 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Hi All,

Bit about me: I am 28 have a decent job, wife and a 5 month old son. We have a house with a 35 year mortgage.

My wife is Malaysian, she studied here and has now lived in the UK for around 7 years. She is coming up for her 2nd round of renewing her spouse visa which will last another 2.5 years after which I will have to pay again. I was looking at the cost for this round and it now 3000.

This is seriously getting ridiculous as it is going to cost us almost 10k just so we can be together. We are already tight on money as we try and pay off our mortgage, look after our son and try to put something into our pension. It really seems that the UK government is punishing me for marrying someone out of the UK.

I honestly feel this is unlawful and discrimination. What do you guys think? I really want to somehow take this further. I mean currently in society we already have enough going on with without this kicking us down more.

Sorry maybe i'm here to vent but I honestly think this is unfair and cannot hold up.
    Originally posted by Rich9573

Why not move to Malaysia?
    • Rich9573
    • By Rich9573 25th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rich9573
    Your exactly right and the video was great. But if I don't try and raise my voice I'm partly to blame for the system being the way it is.

We do just have enough money so in the end I guess we will get on with it. However I still want to raise my voice a bit about the system.

Also regarding moving to Malaysia I did consider that. But the education is better here and career so we will probably only go back for holidays.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 25th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    • 3,993 Posts
    • 6,085 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Your exactly right and the video was great. But if I don't try and raise my voice I'm partly to blame for the system being the way it is.

We do just have enough money so in the end I guess we will get on with it. However I still want to raise my voice a bit about the system.

Also regarding moving to Malaysia I did consider that. But the education is better here and career so we will probably only go back for holidays.
    Originally posted by Rich9573

So it's no different to any other country with better health care and education a non British citizen wants to move to.
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 26th Sep 19, 8:50 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    If you were to move to Malaysia, what would be the costs and the hoops through which you would have to jump?
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 26th Sep 19, 8:54 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    TripleH
    Are you extending your wife's visa or getting british citizenship? I ask because the fees sound about what they were for two ex collesgues of mine (Indian ladies, both sisters) applying for British citizenship ladt year.

I understand the fees have jumped up quite a bit in recent times because am sure onebof my colleagues lsmented that they should have applied sooner.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,063Posts Today

7,881Users online

Martin's Twitter