I have bad credit. Why have I been accepted for a mobile phone contract?

I only have a score of 213 on ClearScore. I know this score is meaningless. Why I have been accepted for a iPhone 11 pro with virgin mobile? Is my credit worthiness better then I thought it was?

Comments

• That is why you should ignore your credit score. Virgin mobile would not have seen it. They assessed you, according to their lending criteria, using the data held in your credit files. Nothing to do with your score...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Who knows without you poting you credit file here and having peeople look over it (which noone expects you to do!). It is hard to say.

It all comes down to why the score was low (and yes, it is pointless), but without the report we have no clue.

Do not worry about it, it is what it is.
  • I only have a score of 213 on ClearScore. I know this score is meaningless. Why I have been accepted for a iPhone 11 pro with virgin mobile? Is my credit worthiness better then I thought it was?

You applied for a mobile phone contract, presumably in the hope you would be accepted.

You were accepted!

So based upon what you have told us so far, your creditworthiness, at least as far as Virgin Mobile are concerned, is about where you thought it was. :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I only have a score of 213 on ClearScore. I know this score is meaningless. Why I have been accepted for a iPhone 11 pro with virgin mobile? Is my credit worthiness better then I thought it was?

You just need to read some of the threads on the Credit file board, your score isn't worth much.

Theres 2 other rating agencies who Virgin may have used, not everyone (as in lenders, phone networks who offer phones to customers etc ) will use all 3 but some will use 2 or 1.
  • Why did you apply?
    Do you not want or need the phone and just trying your luck?
  • !!! wrote: »
    Why did you apply?
    Do you not want or need the phone and just trying your luck?

I needed a new phone.

I previously had a contract phone for two years with Virgin, that was 3 years ago. My credit at the time was very poor, some defaults on my record. I was already with virgin media. Virgin mobile cold called me one night and offered me a phone contract. I passed the credit check. I got a iPhone 7. I have had sim only for 9 months. Did the process to get iPhone 11 pro online and passed the credit check. This is without much improvement on my clearscore credit check.
  • Well there we go then.

More and more proof the scores mean diddly squat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure