PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation)

Comments

• Sirrah67
    Sirrah67 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Move north, you can get a nice house for the money you've saved, and only need to earn enough to live as you'd be mortgage free.
  • homeless9
    homeless9 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 April 2019 at 1:05PM
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Looks like you’re quite wrong about that.
    The biggest single issue for most people I reckon would be divorce, but there would be a number of other isssues such as failed business or career, health (physical or mental), addiction.
    The latter you could call going very wrong, but divorce is common and normalised these days.

From my quick googling it is 5% of people over 50 that are renting......

I didn't literally mean every single 50+ year old owned...I mean't the vast majority.

Apparently there are approx 21million people aged over 50 and 1million of them are renting.

And also - possibly this 1 million includes people renting out a care home.

Although this thread is supposed to be about millennials and how they are doing..... it's still interesting. I definitely want to avoid a divorce at all costs, so will likely avoid marriage. This scares the hell out of me as with my big deposit I will be putting a large chunk of hard earned savings into a property, to get kicked out of it would devastate me as I'd be on low wages and may not even be able to afford to rent.

I feel sorry for those that get kicked out of their own home with nothing to show for it while their ex partner gets the home and the kids. It's awful.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The thing is that if you can move to somewhere cheaper and change your job to get there you might also meet someone in the new place which would mean that you could afford an even better house than you are ever going to get where you live now. Not only that but your quality of life could also improve.

I have picked this house as an example. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61098981.html because you can commute to Manchester from here. I don't know how much you have in savings but if you work in Manchester you won't earn that much less than you do in the South East.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 April 2019 at 1:27PM
    homeless9 wrote: »
    I definitely want to avoid a divorce at all costs, so will likely avoid marriage. This scares the hell out of me as with my big deposit I will be putting a large chunk of hard earned savings into a property, to get kicked out of it would devastate me as I'd be on low wages and may not even be able to afford to rent.

I feel sorry for those that get kicked out of their own home with nothing to show for it while their ex partner gets the home and the kids. It's awful.

It’s a great shame if you are avoiding something that can be wonderful through fear.
    Assets obtained before a marriage are usually regarded as yours but you could do a pre-nuptual agreement to ensure that.

Often women get to stay in the home with the kids as clearly it’s easier for one adult to move out, however that doesn’t mean she gets the entire house. Sometimes people do swap house for pension if they want a clean break, but another way is the father keeps the equity (or a %) and gets it back when the youngest child reaches a certain age.
    Clearly it’s not practical to put kids out of the streets but that doesn’t mean that she gets 100% of the equity.

Having kids means a commitment to look after them and the woman only stays in the home if she is the main carer, so it’s only for the kids benefit.

It is awful if a man gets kicked out of his home, but if you aren’t prepared to prioritise the kids you are not ready for fatherhood.

But you seem to be overthinking it as you are single.

I would guess you don’t want it enough as you’ve said you could move but you’ve actually done nothing about it for quite a while.
    I’m not judging you at all but perhaps you need to ask why you haven’t taken the obvious option to move?

Is it simply you don’t want it enough at the moment to go through the inevitable upheaval?

I would recommend renting or taking short term accommodation in your new area before buying Unless you are familiar with the area.
  • lisyloo
    edited 9 April 2019 at 1:31PM
    homeless9 wrote: »
    From my quick googling it is 5% of people over 50 that are renting......

Do you have a link?
    It doesnt match what others have found so I’m curious and doesn’t sound right as roughly 30% never earn enough to own.

I reckon you’ve got a figure for private rentals only and assumed everyone else owns which is incorrect.
    Some are in social housing, some in care facilities, some with relatives and some in hospital (but mainly social housing).
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I own a 1 or 2 bed property (without help from a scheme) - I don't know how I can up-size.
  • lisyloo
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    I own a 1 or 2 bed property (without help from a scheme) - I don't know how I can up-size.

Are you single?
    If so you can upsize when and if there are 2 incomes.
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Saved a large deposit and bought in my late twenties.

Should be mortgage free by 40 unless something unforeseen happens, which is of course possible.

I'm lucky to not live in the South East / London though.

No scheme or 'bank of Mum and Dad'.

We have three beds, probably big enough long term.
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2019 at 3:52PM
    We bought our 3-bedroom house in 2016 for £260,000 with a 5% deposit in Essex. Aged 24 & 25. Just missed out on using the Help to Buy ISA as it was over £250k! We saved for about 9 months but were lucky enough to be able to move back in with our parents to save more money. No help to buy schemes & no gifts from our parents - apart from being able to live with them for 6 months!

We will probably move in 3-4 years but the price difference to buying a 4-bedroom house is crazy!
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • I'm 21 and we've just bought our first house (3 bed semi detached) in Essex. We saved for around 4 years before we could buy but we were lucky enough to live at home while at uni so we could buy as soon as i graduated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure