Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pws52
    • By pws52 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 180Posts
    • 805Thanks
    pws52
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips?
    • 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips? 12th Sep 18 at 1:41 PM
    I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
    Looking for recommendations....thank you.
Page 3
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 20th Oct 18, 8:20 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    ..........The chip stirrer broke a year ago when I dropped it, and the side protectors broke their hinge a while back however unit still works fine - cost about 150 to buy the unit and i'm still using the same one I got 5 years ago, so proved a good investment.

If you want healthy chips, you won't regret getting an Actifry.
    Originally posted by Bacman
    I'll 'second that' ! Love my Actifry and I've been using it for around 10yrs now. I did manage to drop the 'chip stirrer', but managed to order a new one from Tefal . Mine doesn't have the 'side protectors' on it - is that the thing that goes around the rim to stop chips from jumping up into the edge of the lid?

I don't even use a 'full measure' of oil in mine, and it still works just as well. Great to add some paprika, chilli powder, cayenne, garlic powder - better than anything I've ever bought frozen !
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 20th Oct 18, 8:26 PM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    Kim kim
    McCain Gastro chips for me. I hated oven chips but these have totally converted me.
    Originally posted by madvixen
    I sort of like them, then other times I find them too greasy.
    I do them in the actifry.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 1st Nov 18, 8:26 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bacman
    If you use the actifry, why not just use proper potatoes with a small amount of oil? The point of oven chips is either for people who can't chop potatoes or convenience, however they are fatty compared to using an actifry system.

Rarely i'll use oven chips as they tend to be disappointing in taste compared to making your own however tried the Asda own twisty fries and they are fine for a change.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 1st Nov 18, 11:30 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    tastyhog
    None, oven chips are the work of the devil, cut some from a potato (Marris piper or estima) and fry in hot enough oil and they are no less unhealthy than oven chips that have a coating of oil already
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,703Posts Today

6,141Users online

Martin's Twitter