Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SnowMan
    • By SnowMan 25th Nov 15, 12:46 PM
    • 3,200Posts
    • 5,978Thanks
    SnowMan
    New State Pension starting amount and full record of qualifying years- trial service
    • 25th Nov 15, 12:46 PM
    New State Pension starting amount and full record of qualifying years- trial service 25th Nov 15 at 12:46 PM
    Official MoneySavingExpert Insert March 16:

We've a fully researched New State Pension guide you may find helpful.

Back to SnowMan's original post...

------

If you reach State Pension Age after 5/4/16 (i.e. new state pension applies) you can get (new) state pension information online now.

The recorded message tells you about it when you call for a State Pension Statement.

https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre

As it is trial service it isn't found via google searches etc at the moment. You need the web address. I've decided not to post up the web address (for security reasons) but an automated message tells you it when you ring up for a statement.

It is a trial service but, having tested it, it seems to work (from start to finish it took me under 20 minutes to get full access) and gave me

a) my starting amount under the single tier system (based on qualifying years up to 5th April 2015) and
    b) a full history of what qualifying years I have (i.e. it shows individual tax years) including a list of missing years, and
    c) whether I am in time to purchase each missing year, and how much it will cost for each 'in time' missing year, and
    d) a projection of what my future state pension will be if all future years are qualifying years (including allowance for 2015/2016)

Note I'm quite a number of years under age 55 but the information is still available, so this is information that has not been previously available

It takes a little bit of time initially as there a lengthy verification process to go through (it's accessed via the government verify service, if you click on more services in section 3 of that link it shows the state pension service without a link).

Edit 17th Feb 2016 and 5th March

The trial online service is now linked to from the gov.uk 'Get a state pension statement' page, and access is possible through the old Government Gateway system also as well as through Verify

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

In the section headed 'Online' there are links where it says

You can sign in using the Government Gateway. You may need to answer a few questions they'll be based on things HMRC already know about you. You can then access other HMRC services securely.

You can also sign in using GOV.UK Verify. If you have not used GOV.UK Verify before, it will take you about 10 minutes to get set up. You can access other government services securely wherever you see the GOV.UK Verify logo.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 31-03-2016 at 3:28 PM.
    I came, I saw, I melted
Page 31
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 31st May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 7,575 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Not with an SP date of 2021, both male and female age is 66 by then. Men and women are equalised by December this year.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Bl00dy Hell, that's come around fast.... well reminded
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Hopefully, that will be the end of the WASPI moaning minnies.
    • Happychappy
    • By Happychappy 31st May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 2,796 Thanks
    Happychappy
    Hi

Has anyone ever appealed to the HM Courts Tribunal service to contest an HRMC ruling ?

My wife worked from 1973 to 1980 and then stopped work on the birth of our first child on 3rd April, whilst raising the children, she was granted Home Responisibilty Protection which are basically National Insurance credits for the 3 years she didn't work and raised the children

During this period we received child allowance which continued till the children's 16th birthday, my wife returned to work and paid NI contributions and is still doing so.

She has 43 years NI contributions, but unfortunately is three short for State pension purposes, as the firm she worked for contracted out.

I have logged on to check her NI contributions history and see in 1980 it states not enough contributions made, therefore has a missing year.

I wrote to the HMRC and requested she be credited this year as she was still working from 6th April to 15th May 1980, and, as our daughter was born 3rd April, still in the previous tax year 1979/80 she was entitled to child benefit, and therefore Home Responsibility Protection for the 1980 period from 6th April.

HMRC say as the first possible date we could claim family allowance or child benefit was the 7th April, as this was a Monday, yet the child was born 3rd April. She therefore cannot claim a credit for the entire year ?

I appealed this to HMRC asking for a review, and they again refused, which basically means anyone born in the last three or four days of a tax year cannot claim until the first Monday of a new tax year, and therefore lose the entire years credit, even though she had paid 5 weeks from her employer as she worked her notice

I therefore appealed to the Tribunal in March and was told I would receive a Tribunal date soon, as the HMRC had 28 days to respond.

It appears ridiculous for one years credit to go to the expense of a tribunal when my wife was clearly entitled to claim but disadvantaged due to when the first Monday fell.

Anyway, today, 9 weeks after my letter giving HMRC 28 days, I receive a letter from the Tribunal service saying HMRC have failed to respond and they cannot find my complaint or any file, so the Tribunal service have given them a further 28 days to respond, and in the mean time, I have to furnish HMRC all my letters and replies, so they can be given them, I quoted all the HMRC reference numbers etc ?

Has anyone had dealings with a Tribunal Hearing against the HMRC, I know there is clearly a high degree of incompetence on the HMRC side, and clearly the tribunal service doesn't appear capable of ruling against them for failing to respond to the deadline ? sounds pretty toothless, but I will continue and hopefully someone may be able to share their experience.

Thanks HC
    • molerat
    • By molerat 31st May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 21,521 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    molerat
    Even if you do get that year added it will make no difference to her pension. The maximum pre 2016 years she can use is 35, being contracted out likely only 30, and she already has in excess of that. You are wasting your own and everyone else's time. Concentrate your efforts on making up the post 2016 years.
    Last edited by molerat; 31-05-2018 at 7:04 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 31st May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 14,702 Posts
    • 13,136 Thanks
    zagfles
    I don't see the point in appealing to HMRC. They implement the rules, they don't make them. You can complain to HMRC if they don't follow the rules, not on the grounds that the rules are silly/unfair.

HRP was needed for complete tax years, and I believe child ben/family allowance started from the Monday after birth. If the rules are stupid it's not HMRC's fault, it's the government's.

Besides, as above, it's unlikely to make any difference to her pension. I presume her state pension age is after April 2016? If so on the switch to the new state pension she would have had the full 30 years for basic state pension under the old rules, plus maybe some SERPS/S2P. This would likely have been the foundation amount. Adding another qualifying year pre 2016 would make no difference, unless it included some SERPS/S2P which was only introduced in 2002 for child ben claimants.

If there's still time, she could buy post-2016 years?
    Last edited by zagfles; 31-05-2018 at 8:58 PM.
    • minty777
    • By minty777 2nd Jun 18, 10:38 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    minty777
    It says your forecast is 164.35 a week and 8575.56 a year but 52 X 164.35 is only 8546.2
    • molerat
    • By molerat 2nd Jun 18, 10:45 AM
    • 21,521 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    molerat
    52.18 weeks in a year. The annual amount is only a guide.
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 4th Jun 18, 1:25 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    downshifted
    Increasing my state pension?
    Thanks to this helpful thread I have taken a look at my online state pension forecast. I've mostly been contracted out and I phoned up to check and my forecast is on the old rules.

It says I have 39 years full contributions, 6 when I did not contribute enough and 4 to 5/4/21. I will be 66 in June 21.

The forecast to 5/4/17 is 133.32. If I contribute to 5/4/21 it will be 152.10, and then it says the max I can increase to 156.80 (I don't understand that bit)

Am I correct in thinking I can only buy the years from 2016/17, and that I have up to 2 years after each year to make the payment at the lower rate? Apart from when I actually make the claim of course, I'm sure I have to pay up before then!
    Downshifted

September GC 251.21/250 October 248.82/250 January 159.53/200
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    • 21,521 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    molerat
    You have 133.32 to Apr 17
    Each further year is worth 4.70.

Going forward you can add another 4, 17-18, 18-19, 19-20 & 20-21 to make 152.10. 17-18 has not yet been notified so is still considered a going forward year.
    There is one prior year that can be added, 16-17, bringing you to 156.80.

Yes you are correct re the payments.
    Last edited by molerat; 04-06-2018 at 2:06 PM.
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 4th Jun 18, 4:22 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    A very useful thread indeed....I still can't understand why my weekly SP is 147 and a few pence......I have 48 full years NI contributions and one year not full (2015/16).I know I won't get the maximum amount, because I was contracted out.....I took early retirement in 2015, hence the not full year.....2016/17 and 2017/18 were made up with NI cedits and I am told that the not full year should make no difference......ringing DWP has so far proved a fruitless exercise.....I would just like to know WHY ?
    Retired (Early) April 2015
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 4th Jun 18, 5:40 PM
    • 10,833 Posts
    • 8,116 Thanks
    GunJack
    .....I would just like to know WHY ?
    Originally posted by Jack Itin
    It's just the way the calculation at April 16 has worked out for you, everyone's is different and depending on the employment history, amount of SERPS/S2P, etc.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 4th Jun 18, 5:51 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    fifeken
    I think I'm one of the lucky ones who despite being contracted out for many years will get more than the 164 per week NSP. My question is, how is it displayed on the Gov website when you haven't made sufficient contributions due to being contracted out? All my years show as full years and I want to check I'm not missing something somewhere on the site.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jun 18, 5:54 PM
    • 21,521 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    molerat
    There is a line stating you have been contracted out, click on it and it shows your COPE amount. It does not show which years or how much NI you did not pay.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jun 18, 6:03 PM
    • 21,521 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    molerat
    A very useful thread indeed...!!!8230;.I still can't understand why my weekly SP is 147 and a few pence......I have 48 full years NI contributions and one year not full (2015/16)!!!8230;!!!8230;.I know I won't get the maximum amount, because I was contracted out.....I took early retirement in 2015, hence the not full year.....2016/17 and 2017/18 were made up with NI cedits and I am told that the not full year should make no difference......ringing DWP has so far proved a fruitless exercise.....I would just like to know WHY ?
    Originally posted by Jack Itin
    Being contracted out means your calculation at April 2016 will be based on the old system so can only use 30 years of contributions. As you already have well in excess of that adding another will not make any difference.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 4th Jun 18, 6:08 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    fifeken
    There is a line stating you have been contracted out, click on it and it shows your COPE amount. It does not show which years or how much NI you did not pay.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Yes, got that and as you say it doesn't show details.

Is it safe to say that the forecast amount on the first page takes these contracted out periods into account, and where the NI record says I don't have any gaps and "Full Year" next to every entry, that my contracted out periods haven't resulted in me needing to buy years to maximise what I get?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jun 18, 7:24 PM
    • 21,521 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    molerat
    Your contracted out periods have already been taken into account in those figures.
    Last edited by molerat; 04-06-2018 at 7:41 PM.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 4th Jun 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I think I'm one of the lucky ones who despite being contracted out for many years will get more than the 164 per week NSP. My question is, how is it displayed on the Gov website when you haven't made sufficient contributions due to being contracted out? All my years show as full years and I want to check I'm not missing something somewhere on the site.
    Originally posted by fifeken

I am as well. 167 plus a few pence. I was relieved to get the confirmation and only a few weeks to wait for the first payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

3,189Users online

Martin's Twitter