Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Comments

• Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    I have a Mary Berry cake in the oven at the moment it's been in there for 5 hours and a lot of liquid is in the bottom of my oven and cake does not seem to be cooking.What have I done wrong?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hadley wrote: »
    I have a Mary Berry cake in the oven at the moment it's been in there for 5 hours and a lot of liquid is in the bottom of my oven and cake does not seem to be cooking.What have I done wrong?

Is your oven on high enough? What kind of cake pan are you using, and did you line it properly? I would retrieve the cake from the oven and give it a good clean before you start cooking the cake again (this may be best left until tomorrow now). Did you follow the recipe to the letter? The liquid is puzzling, you may have to fold in a bit more flour if it's a very loose mixture, and then add extra booze after it's cooked for added moisture.

I have one huge vegan Christmas cake (of my own recipe) hidden away, and 2 MB cake mixes that expire next month. I have no intention of cooking either yet, I thought I'd leave them until later this year and then feed in plenty of rum. I am loathe to use eggs and would like to make a vegan version out of the MB mix, which as far as I can see contains no animal products. Has anyone tried not following the stated recipe, and with what results?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply I followed the recipe to the letter and my oven is the correct temp I also lined the tin correctly (20cm) tin.I have taken it out now and am hoping for the best.I have another one but I think I will use the ingredients in another way.
  • Does anyone know if I can substitute margarine for butter in this mix?
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    Yes no problem at all I use Soya marg in all mine.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Glad to see there are others who haven't cooked theirs yet:)
    I did look at mine the other day, then forgot to buy oranges and lemons so it's back on top of the cupboard:D (I know I could do it without, but I like it better with).

How long does anyone think it's ok, since the fruit's already soaking in booze? - that's the only bit that's been worrying me slightly.
  • lucyhope
    lucyhope Posts: 496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I made one up last week and the fruit was fine, I'm sure it'll be ok for a long time yet.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520
    2019 total £8995
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got two in the cupboard (bought when the price dropped to £2 a time - used one already, last Christmas). I'm planning on Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013 for the other two. Everything's sealed in plastic. They'll be fine!!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    mandragora wrote: »
    I've got two in the cupboard (bought when the price dropped to £2 a time - used one already, last Christmas). I'm planning on Christmas 2012 and Christmas 2013 for the other two. Everything's sealed in plastic. They'll be fine!!

I can't remember if they have chopped almonds - they may need replacing though
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    mandragora wrote: »

We're doing the same. Bought three. Made one, Ate it. And saving the others for next Christmas and possibly the one after.

Vaguely worried about the marzipan going off - what is Chris25 implying with the chopped almond comment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure