Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 21st Feb 05, 11:39 PM
    • 2,080Posts
    • 3,436Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Eating in Edinburgh
    • 21st Feb 05, 11:39 PM
    Eating in Edinburgh 21st Feb 05 at 11:39 PM
    Need ideas where to go for 18th birthday meal with daughter in Edinburgh. We eat all sorts of different foods, only barrier is a steakhouse/fish restaurant as I am a vegetarian, and they tend not to do too much in the veggie line. Nothing too posh, as silver service makes her nervous, but we love Italian, Indian, Mexican, practically anything really. Any ideas for us for central Edinburgh? Our hotel is just off Royal Mile, so old Town places would be good too.
    Any ideas please, as last thing I want to do after shopping is trail about looking for somewhere to eat!!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 23-09-2008 at 3:56 PM.
Page 8
  • alison74
    New place called PickledGreen has opened on Rose Street

Review: http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-style/food-drink/eco-chamber-is-a-sound-choice-for-good-food-1.992692

Menus: http://www.pickledgreen.co.uk/menu.php

Note the early weekday closing hours!
    http://www.pickledgreen.co.uk/contact.php

Nearby Chez Jules is doing rib-eye steaks (Scottish Beef hopefully!) for "under a tennner".
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-style/food-drink/chez-jules-back-on-menu-from-pierre-victoire-1.991155

Wellington coffee still does by far the best coffee on that side of town (New Town/Princes Street)
    Originally posted by competitionscafe

I personally don't like the look of Pickled Green, seems pricey for what it is. Only have one large communal table downstairs and rest of restaurant upstairs

Chez Jules review Not the nest surroundings, but food as good as the 90s restaurants
  • Lakelady
    Hello - we are staying in the Edinburgh Central Travelodge - St Mary`s St. for three nights from the 25th of Jan. Can anyone reccommned any places to eat. I don`t want to book and be tied to a time but we`ll eat between 5 -7 every evening. We will try any menu and appreciate nice food but can`t afford a hefty bill. We are comfortable with paying about 35 for two - one or two courses with a drink each.
    Husbands mobility isn`t too good so we don`t want to go too far away from the Travelodge.
    Many thanks - I`ve enjoyed reading the posts here and the food blog - but my head is spinning trying to place restaurants on a map.
    Last edited by Lakelady; 16-01-2010 at 6:05 PM. Reason: Forgot a bit of info.
  • alison74
    Hello - we are staying in the Edinburgh Central Travelodge - St Mary`s St. for three nights from the 25th of Jan. Can anyone reccommned any places to eat. I don`t want to book and be tied to a time but we`ll eat between 5 -7 every evening. We will try any menu and appreciate nice food but can`t afford a hefty bill. We are comfortable with paying about 35 for two - one or two courses with a drink each.
    Husbands mobility isn`t too good so we don`t want to go too far away from the Travelodge.
    Many thanks - I`ve enjoyed reading the posts here and the food blog - but my head is spinning trying to place restaurants on a map.
    Originally posted by Lakelady

If you're going to eat at that time, you will qualify for early dining offers and get 2-3 courses for under 15.

Use www.5pm.co.uk and click on 'central' and nowhere will be that far away from your travelodge.

There is a wonderful Indian a few minutes walk away from your travelodge up the hill of the Pleasance.

Also, http://www.fullerthomson.com/eating-and-drinking/holyrood/ The Holyrood is literally 30 metres away that does 2 beers and a burger for 15 with voucher.

Lovely restaurant called Howie's in Victoria Street, a short walk away does early dining offers.

Edinburgh has such a vast choice of places to choose from it can sometimes be hard, but the other thing to do is find somewhere during the day you like the look of as you wander around the town.

http://www.kismot.co.uk/ < Indian near St Mary's Street
  • Lakelady
    Many thanks for the reply and your blog Alison - a great read.
  • Lakelady
    Just thought I`d report back on our dining experiences in Edinburgh.
    We went to Kismot, the Indian restaurant and had the best Indian meal ever. We took our own drinks which wasn`t a problem. We were the only people in the retaurant early on a Monday evening. Its all credit to the great atmosphere there that we just had a really good time.
    We also went to Howies on the road down to the Grassmarket. We really liked this, we had the two couses with a glass of (very nice) Chilean Merlot for 15. Hubby had the Cullen Skink which he said was fantastic. Again we had great service.

We had all our coffee`s in places other than the chains and we liked Always Sunday on the Royal Mile.
    Surprisingly we had an excellent light lunch in Edinburgh Castle, I think it was called Queen Anne`s. I say surprisingly because generally in busy tourist places you get a crappy sandwich and surly service! Also the cafe at Holyrood House was great - fantastic looking cakes!

The only disappointment of the trip was Jenners - whatever happened to the lovely cafe on the top floor?

Anyways we had a great time, with just great warmth and hospitality.
  • alison74
    Glad you had a good time, always nice to hear good feedback. Edinburgh Castle food is nice, albeit a bit pricey. Howies and Kismot eh? Now I'm hungry! Two of my fave restaurants in town.

Always Sunday is also good, but only really at off peak tourist times as the service suffers when it's packed out - so you timed it well.
  • alison74
    A cake trail of Edinburgh - can you resist?
    Last edited by alison74; 22-02-2011 at 6:33 PM.
  • FIK
    Glad you had a nice time. I have never eaten in francanstine. Suprised you would eat their to be honest especially as that street has lots of nice places to eat. Just opposite is the simplest most authentic italian with great prices. Maybe to everyday for a birthday.

Some of the coments here are really not well informed. Edinburgh has alot of vegies so a most resturants that are local have good vegie choice. Also the biggest vegie resturant is not even mentioned. Hendersons anyone?? There is Hendersons Bistro and also a seprate but conected cantean thing doing diffrent food on the corner of Thistle street lane and hanover street. Also Hendesons under the church at the corner of lothian road and princes street.

Also agree the cafe in the castle is better than you normally get in these kind of places. The zoo is shocking

Jenners used to be the best shop in Edinburgh. Its still worth a visit to see the building but everything else is way way down hill. It used to be independant and family run. A up market are you being served type of place, really fantastic at xmas. It was bought by the Frasers chain so its now just another chain shop. Its a really shame to lose this quality. I think the family felt the pressure of Harvey Nic's. Edinburgh is just not big enough for two really upmarket shops. Harvey Nics was not a patch on Jenners and when it opened it was dead. Problem is it still took a small percentage of Jenners sales. Enough to cause Jenners to hurt. Even when the competion is rubish small buisness can't compete with large chains. Harvey Nic's is now busy and Jenners is dead and Edinburgh is one step closer to being like every other town in the UK/Europe and the World. Thanks to our wonderfull planning department UNESCO have threatend to remove our status.

I know the Italian on Cockburn Street you mention. The bacon rolls are great and the owner works there. He's a funny man good humoured and grumpy at the same time. He parks opposite and rushes out mid service when the traffic wardens go past.
    Last edited by FIK; 29-06-2010 at 11:44 AM.
    • wmf
    • By wmf 15th Jul 10, 7:44 PM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 21,873 Thanks
    wmf
    Had a really good pub meal in Doctors today (up near university...not sure of the name of street). Vegetable lasagne with a slice of garlic bread and small salad 3.99. Really good lasagne - spinach, kidney beans and butter beans in it. Yum. DS had steak and ale pie, chips and peas - think it was 4.99 and he couldn't manage it all. They have some meals 2 for 5. I've been before but not for a while and this menu and prices were great. Hope this helps someone who's hungry. The prices will go up for the Festival though, or they'll have a 'new' menu.
    W
  • Vaila
    I always go to The Baked Potato Shop,great choice of fillings,generous portions and so cheap!
    great value for money
  • alison74
    Ignore - mod please delete. I replied instead of edited another post.
  • Purplebutterfly
    Can I just say thanks to everybody who has taken the time to pot here.

I was looking for somewhere for lunch and dinner before and after my sons Graduation.

I had a good look through this thread before deciding to book a table at Vittroria On the Bridge for dinner and we ended up in Frankensteins for a quick light lunch.

Lunch was good, kids burger ws overdone but apart from that, I would recommend.

Dinner at Vittoria on the Bridge, I could not fault, location, food, price and staff, all excellent.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 30th Jul 11, 1:39 PM
    • 4,435 Posts
    • 55,191 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Anyone looking for good home cooking in Edinburgh I would recommend Mums on Forest Street. On the menu - Pies, chicken, steak and Ale, Venison and Redcurrant and veggie choice too. Also had sausage and mash, burgers etc. 4 of us had various pies which came with chips and veg (cauli, carrots and broccoli), 2 had a pint of cider and 2 a soft drink - 41.00.

We were fit to burst and the service was excellent, cheery waiters who wanted to please. The place was packed and I will definitely go back.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 1st Aug 11, 1:10 PM
    • 16,580 Posts
    • 134,449 Thanks
    zagubov
    You could do worse than try the Edinburgh portal page.
    http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/edinburgh/index.htm.
    It's the Edinburgh version of the national
    http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/
    page- one of the most useful websites I've seen. You can get lost in the site for days if you're not careful!
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 13th Aug 11, 12:23 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    I can highly recommend Mimi's Bakehouse in Leith, it is fabulous! I live nearby and had been meaning to visit when it opened but kept forgetting/getting sidetracked.
    Well i eventually visited 2 weeks ago and have been back 3 times since Bad for the pocket and waistline
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • oxters
    • By oxters 6th Oct 11, 10:52 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    oxters
    Just thought I`d report back on our dining experiences in Edinburgh.
    We went to Kismot, the Indian restaurant and had the best Indian meal ever.

We also went to Howies on the road down to the Grassmarket. We really liked this, we had the two couses with a glass of (very nice) Chilean Merlot for 15. Hubby had the Cullen Skink which he said was fantastic. Again we had great service.

Anyways we had a great time, with just great warmth and hospitality.
    Originally posted by Lakelady
    Hello

We were thinking of trying these next week. Can anyone update on them as these comments relate to last year.

Also any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
  • alison74
    Howie's are still going, but have just been sold, so don't know how enthusiastic the staff will be at the moment and the Kismot is still going strong, but sayhing that, has been in the papers for all the wrong reasons this week.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877704-killer-kismot-curry-contest-leaves-two-in-hospital-in-edinburgh

I ate at the Kismot in August and wasn't overly impressed. It is BYOB but it's expensive if you're not drinking and the curries only so-so now. I asked for a wet napkin after eating a sticky nan bread and they said they didn't have one (as in a babywipe) so I asked for water in a bowl and a napkin and they only brought me a napkin. I shredded it to pieces trying to get the gunk off my hands.

I digress.....

The best Indian in Edinburgh at the moment is The Spice Pavilion in Dundas Street (a few minutes walk from Princes Street). Consistently good food, friendly service, reasonable prices.

http://www.thespicepavilion.co.uk/

If you want a quick bite to eat, http://www.illegaljacks.co.uk/ is good (burritos etc, including haggis ones)

and a lovely cafe/coffee house in the centre of town is called Fredericks Cafe, on Frederick Street (on the first floor, opposite Laing's). No website, but they have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/FredericksCoffeeHouse
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 7th Oct 11, 7:05 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Nice little cafe on Hanover Street called Papii http://web1.local.stv.tv/edinburgh/place/1098724-papii/ Had great buttermilk waffles with strawberries and maple syrup there!
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
    • nikki2804
    • By nikki2804 10th Oct 11, 2:36 PM
    • 2,638 Posts
    • 7,551 Thanks
    nikki2804
    Darios on Lothian Road is amazing. I think a few people dismiss it as it is attached to a chip shop. The staff are great, food is yummy and the whole experience is amazing.

Last time I was there my LO was asleep so we didn't order him anything thinking he would sleep right through. He woke up near the end and the waiter brought him garlic bread, followed by ice cream all free of charge. They were brilliant with kids aswell.

TBH its the only resteraunt where I feel the service is good enough to leave a tip!
    SPC no 046
    Now a MFW!
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 10th Oct 11, 3:28 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    Twopints
    Hello

We were thinking of trying these next week. Can anyone update on them as these comments relate to last year.

Also any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by oxters
    Went to Kismot in August and it was excellent. We didn't try the "hottest curry in Scotland". Yes, it's BYO - but there a pub next door and you can take your beer through. You can see the food being prepared - by the owners Mum!

They had a bit of a problem at their recent "Chilli eating contest" :

chilli-eating
    Not even wrong
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

2,348Users online

Martin's Twitter