CCJ advice needed

namieco
namieco Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 22 October 2019 at 6:09PM in Credit file & ratings
I went to apply for a new credit card and noticed my credit score had gone right down and a CCJ was issued against me.

I’d never to my knowledge owed money or missed payments and did not have a letter informing me of this. I contacted Equifax who referred me to the courts, I paid for my file and there was no CCJ against me so I was happy it was some sort of mistake.

After searching to try and get it removed it seems it’s real and was issued to an old address. It seems to be linked to an old Halifax Student account from over ten years ago. I’m still with Halifax, have received no notice about this and the account doesn’t appear any more. I stayed within my allowed overdraft and as far as I know it was all paid up. It’s now handled by Cabot. I never would have ignored a request for payment.

This year I am getting married and getting a mortgage for my first house. I’ve worked so hard on my finances and credit score and am devastated to get this CCJ and can no longer get a credit card, let alone a mortgage. It appeared January so I have another 6 years to go.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Credit scores are only seen by yourself, lenders see your history.
  • RonoB
    RonoB Posts: 42 Forumite
    You can apply for this to be set aside. Contact the court for your options. How much is it for?
  • It must be fees for the account or overdraft.

Ask for a breakdown of what the CCJ amounts to.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 22 October 2019 at 8:12PM
    namieco wrote: »
    I went to apply for a new credit card and noticed my credit score had gone right down and a CCJ was issued against me. Whre exactly did you notice this? Your Equifax credit files or ?

I’d never to my knowledge owed money or missed payments and did not have a letter informing me of this. I contacted Equifax who referred me to the courts, I paid for my file and there was no CCJ against me so I was happy it was some sort of mistake. Who did you pay for your files? Equifax or ? If there was nothing there, please explain the contradiction with your statement in paragraph 1.

After searching Searching where? to try and get it removed try to get it removed how? it seems it’s real and was issued to an old address. It seems to be linked to an old Halifax Student account from over ten years ago. I’m still with Halifax, have received no notice about this and the account doesn’t appear any more. I stayed within my allowed overdraft and as far as I know it was all paid up. It’s now handled by Cabot. I never would have ignored a request for payment. How did you find out the above information? Have Cabot not explained in detail what it was for?

This year I am getting married and getting a mortgage for my first house. I’ve worked so hard on my finances and credit score and am devastated to get this CCJ and can no longer get a credit card, Did you actually apply and get declined? Paragraph 1 would imply that you were only about to apply let alone a mortgage. It appeared January so I have another 6 years to go.If you have another 6 years to go then the ccj must be new. yet you claim this to be from an account from over 10 years ago. Something does not really add up here.

Any advice would be great.
    Paragraphs 1 and 2 of the OP are confusing and as written make no sense.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    How much is it for?

Can you afford to pay it?

Speak with a whole of market adverse credit broker about a mortgage and your options as there are lenders out there. There are also some good adverse mortgage brokers on this site who can let you know if you have potential options now or 12 months after the CCJ was obtained.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • namieco
    edited 22 October 2019 at 9:31PM
    I can’t seem to quote on my phone, sorry.

The amount was just over £1000.

I noticed my credit score was down on Clearscore who told me it was because of a CCJ (on their Reports page). They referred me to Equifax when I contacted them about it.

Equifax told me to contact the courts themselves. I did a search on the court files online, it cost about £6, and I got a PDF confirming I have no CCJ against my name.

Equifax found that it was issued against my name but on an old address I haven’t been living at for over 4 years. That’s why it didn’t come up on the court file. Two credit companies didn’t notice the CCJ either, one was Experian, can’t remember the other.

Get it removed how- no idea, I was meant to search for it and find out more information in order to contact the company who issued it and get it removed from my report as I presumed it was a mistake at that stage.

I got the information it was Cabot from a county court office in Northampton. They told me it was Cabot on part of Halifax and to do with a student account overdraft. I wouldn’t have known this otherwise. Cabot have not contacted me. Halifax have my new address.

I was about to apply for a credit card through Clearscore and noticed they were only offering me cards for bad credit. I worked hard on getting a decent credit rating and then noticed it had dropped, and so noticed my CCJ on my report. So I presume I can’t get another credit card now, and so assume I’ll have issues getting a mortgage.

I can afford to repay- the whole amount in full with difficultly but would do to get the CCJ gone. I’d rather pay monthly. I would certainly have paid if I had received the information. I’ve contacted Cabot for my options and more info.

Hope this helps clear anything up. Thanks for all the replies so far!
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    i have just written a reply to another thread with similar circumstances. Read the other thread titled CCJ help on this forum. My advice will apply to you. You need a consent order form signed by Cabot to get the CCJ removed
  • Why a consent order again?
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    the explanation he has given warrants a consent order to be granted. In truth you dont need a reason, anyone with a CCJ can apply for one. Whether you will be granted one or not is another matter but in this case 99% chance the OP will if he is telling the truth.

Also cheaper then set aside and also no court hearing involved
  • namieco
    So I literally just contact Cabot and ask them for a consent order? And I just sign the form, pay £100 and pay what I owe in the CCJ?

I’ve not seen this online when reading about CCJs. Is there any reason they won’t allow this route?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure