MSE Poll: Brexit – what should happen now?

Poll started 22 October 2019
It's nearly three and a half years since the UK voted to leave the EU. The next ‘must leave by’ deadline is 31 October. There’s now (another) deal on the table. What do you think the right thing to happen now would be?

There are many possibilities but which of these is CLOSEST to your view…
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Why is Status Quo not an option – are we too far gone or is there a better way than breaking away? Enough is enough, so why not extend article 50 again and again while respect for parliament goes down, down, deeper and down as MPs vote forty five hundred times and the country goes down the dustpipe. Meanwhile Brussels says they won’t roll over, lay down and break the rules, but you’re living on an island and though we don’t want to hold you back, we can’t give you more and what you’re proposing just leads to hard times, not a softer ride, and that’s a fact.

;)
  • Because with the eu there is no such thing as a Status Quo.

We joined the eec many moons ago, and those slightly older than me had chance to say whether to stay in the eec.

Since then it has changed massively, it is now a bureaucratic behemouth that wishes to run everyone's lives. It is in no shape or form even similar to that which people voted for all those years ago. Does that not give you some concern as to what it wishes to become? It already has all the identifiers of a country, it has a flag, it has a currency, it has a rather contradictory national anthem, it has the ridiculous waste of TWO parliaments. It wishes to become the us of e without anyone noticing, they thought they could keep everyone around for the ride until it was too late.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Stockie
    Stockie Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Other than: being fed up with how long the government/parliament are taking to do anything, fed up with how much it's dominating the news & fed up with how it's drowning out other parliamentary business, is there any other reason there seem to be so much of a rush to get it done all of a sudden?
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer(s) or anyone else
  • Apart from the fact that it is costing us £1 billion a month to remain in the eu, apart from the fact we still have to invite the whole of the eu to tender for public works etc? Apart from the fact that freedom of movement is still in place? Apart from the fact that the uncertainty is what is putting businesses in danger? Apart from the fact that the idea of all these extensions is to try to persuade people to forget that we actually want to leave? Apart from all the shenanigans going on in parliament mean that they will probably at some point decide to slip through a bill to revoke article 50 and then the eu would slam the back door?

What is really going on is Khorbyn is trying to make the Conservatives look bad by stopping Boris getting it through when he promised he would, and he certainly does not want Boris getting the credit when everyone said he could not get a different deal from the eu. What he is actually doing is proving himself to be a right idiot. The silly thing is that, given a choice, Khorbyn would be the first one to go for a "no deal" Brexit, he wants to wreck the country and he wants to buy up the utilities etc for prices so far below the market value as to be illegal, any agreement with the eu would stop that.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    As there are multiple Brexit threads on DT this poll, and thread, seems a bit redundant.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • One-Eye wrote: »
    Why is Status Quo not an option

Because one of them's dead
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Why is Status Quo not an option?
    Because one of them's dead
    RIP Mr Parfitt - but their songs live on, even through Brexit
    One-Eye wrote: »
    Why is Status Quo not an option – are we too far gone or is there a better way than breaking away? Enough is enough, so why not extend article 50 again and again while respect for parliament goes down, down, deeper and down as MPs vote forty five hundred times and the country goes down the dustpipe. Meanwhile Brussels says they won’t roll over, lay down and break the rules, but you’re living on an island and though we don’t want to hold you back, we can’t give you more and what you’re proposing just leads to hard times, not a softer ride, and that’s a fact.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What a surprise, remainers want to remain, leavers want to leave. I'm not really sure what else you were expecting from this poll.
  • How is this money saving related? Disappointing that MSE is taking the pollster route.
  • Because with the eu there is no such thing as a Status Quo.

We joined the eec many moons ago, and those slightly older than me had chance to say whether to stay in the eec.

Since then it has changed massively, it is now a bureaucratic behemouth that wishes to run everyone's lives. It is in no shape or form even similar to that which people voted for all those years ago. Does that not give you some concern as to what it wishes to become? It already has all the identifiers of a country, it has a flag, it has a currency, it has a rather contradictory national anthem, it has the ridiculous waste of TWO parliaments. It wishes to become the us of e without anyone noticing, they thought they could keep everyone around for the ride until it was too late.

I must be slightly older than you because, back in 1975, I did vote to remain in the EEC. It was then an economic community and it made sense to belong to it, not least because it cut down the amount of paperwork required to shift goods between the UK and mainland Europe.

No-one was given the opportunity to vote on the Maastricht Treaty in 1992 which was what significantly expanded the relationship between European countries and opened the door to a single currency, European citizenship, a common foreign and security policy, etc. Since then it has grown into the bureaucratic soci-political juggernaut it is today with ambitions to become a pan-European federal government.

That’s not what I voted for in 1975 and it’s why I want to leave now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure