The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
The Great 'shrinking food' Hunt Revisited

We featured this hunt back in 2010 (see original thread), but it seems manufacturers are up to their old tricks again by dropping products’ sizes while keeping prices the same (one forumite's spotted loaves of bread dropping from 800g to 750g). We want to know which foods you've seen shrinking in size, but not in price.

Are you sure it shrunk?

It's easy to think things used to be bigger (Martin remembers when Wagon Wheels were twice the size of his hands!) so please try and back it up with the stats and measures if you can.
Click 'reply' below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren't sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Its annoying that the fruit shoot bottles have shrunk and now they want 2 in their lunch boxes so it costing me double (they love the stuff)
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 September 2013 at 12:35AM
    ASDA English cheddar cheese. Was 500g, now 450g. Price still £2.83 each, or 2 for £5.00.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • The real problem with shrinking products is that they are effectively 'hidden inflation' and are not factored into the consumer/retail price indices where items are listed by unit rather than volume/weight!
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you buy Iceland cheese slices you would have noticed that they went from 20 slices for £1, to 16 slices for £1 and now they have done it again this time 14 slices for £1.

What will be next 10 slices for £1???????
  • Aldi cheese shrink too from 400g to 350g for £1.89 but still one of the cheapest
  • njp6
    njp6 Posts: 13 Forumite
    GoCat dried food has gone from 950g to 875g
  • Toblerone went from 200g to 175g - but, it's now available in £shops, so really, their loss is our gain!
  • There used to be 64 in a pack, but often I find there are now only 56 wipes in a pack.
  • twigpig
    twigpig Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    I've notivced that multipacks are changing

Some beans etc are coming in 3's now but I used to get 4 for £1 on offer. Noticed the same with chocolate bars too. Those aren't always 4 packs now, again moving to only 3 bars..... These are both in infancy, but I'm sure it won't be long before that's the norm...... :(
    TTC #3..........
  • I recently noticed that Whiskas pouches (which used to be 100g) are now 85g... same price though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback