how to freeze parsnips?

Comments

• Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Personally, I would make soup and freeze some to be roasted. I normally cook as usual but only cook for 15 mins, then freeze, then cook from frozen on high to crisp up.

PP
    xx

Thanks, so do you mean you boil them for 15 minutes, then freeze, or that you roast for 15 mins then freeze?
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Heth wrote:
    I bought two bags of organic parships the other day (only 40 p!!) so now have rather alot in the fridge. I'm planning on using a couple tomorrow with dinner, but otherwise I need to freeze some of them before they go off. Shall I:
    1) chop up and freeze
    2) cook, mash alone/with potato then freeze
    3) make into soup and freeze
    4) any other ideas?

Thanks.

Do you have a bread machine? You can mash up some cooked parsnip and make a parsnip and nutmeg loaf :drool: :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Heth, to freeze your parsnips, you'll need chop them into even sized pieces roughly 1/2 -1 inch cubes then you need to boil them for 4-5 mins before cooling, packing and freezing.

Parsnip puree (ie, mashed parship) can also be frozen.

Parsnip soup can be frozen.
  • I do them a different way. I just peel and quarter and roast for 15-20 mins in hot oven brushed with oil, then take them out and freeze. When needed, I put in very hot oven and cook to crisp up for about 20 mins.

Queenie-I will try the method you have said as this would be easier in bags me thinks as mine are too long. Do you defrost before roasting them? Do you have a recipe for soup-as yours is probably beter than mine?

Ta

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Thanks Queenie. I think I'll make some soup for the weekend and then freeze the rest.
  • Queenie
    ... Do you have a recipe for soup-as yours is probably beter than mine?

Absolutely! :D

Yes, I defrost the parsnips, mainly because if I put them in the hot fat in the roasting tin, it spits hot fat everywhere; I put them into hot fat to seal the outside, so I don't end up with hard centres.

I'll post the Parsnip Soup recipe in a bit.
  • Queenie
    Parsnip Soup (Serves 4)

2oz butter
    ¾lb parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped
    1 potato, peeled and chopped
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    ¾pt chicken stock
    salt and pepper
    1 TBsp cornflour
    ¾pt creamy milk

Melt the butter in a pan, add the parsnips, potato and onion, cover and cook gently for about 3 minutes. Stir in the stock and season to taste.
    Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for half an hour.

Leave to cool slightly and then blend or rub through a sieve.

Mix the cornflour to a paste with a bit of the milk, stir into the soup and add the remaining milk.

Bring back to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened.

To freeze: cool quickly, pour into a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
    To thaw and serve: thaw at room temp for 4hrs, then reheat gently in a pan. Garnish with chopped parsley, grated cheese or freshly grated nutmeg.
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Mrs_Veg_Plot Posts: 960 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2011 at 2:49PM
    Hi all

I have a large qualtity of fresh parsnips and want to freeze them to use over the comming winter. Do I need to blanch them or can I just peel slice and freeze?

Thanks Mrs VP
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Blanching them is normaly better as it kills the bacteria and preserves the colour, just 1 minute in boiling water then transfer to cold water for a few minutes then freeze
  • Thanks crazyguy. Thats my afternoon sorted then.

Mrs VP
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure