PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing clothes inside out - why?

Hellooooo

Could any of you good people please tell me why some clothes must be washed inside out?

And if I wash said clothes on their own right side out, is that OK?

TIA

Suze
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    i find its the tops with an applique or similar on the front, the pics crack when washed the other way after a long period, like kids character tops
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    It's because friction from other items in the wash can cause bobbliness / change in texture.....a bit like on the arms of a sweater where it rubs against things.

Should be ok to wash things alone right-side-outside, i think?
  • brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    I know with things like jeans the outside is usually darker than the inside. Washing and drying them right side around can cause them to fade faster (and unevenly?)

Clothes with beading or embroidery can snag in the machine - the machine itself and other clothes, causing damage.

I wash all dark clothes inside out because that way if any of the powder doesn't get rinsed out, or there are other mineral deposits (I live in London) they'll be on the inside of the clothes and not the outside. ;)
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Helps dark things not to fade.

Before coloured washing powder I always used to wash black & dark jeans inside out.
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    With dark or strongly coloured clothes it can be to prevent *white lines* where the friction from the machine and other clothes rubs the dye away. These clothes need to be washed inside out even if washed alone.
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    I wash all our clothes inside out, infact i even wash our bedding inside out, dunno why, i guess thats the way mum always done it :confused:
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,701
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ambassador
    Thanks all. I thought it might be something to do with the dye, as my new coat is made of black cotton. The bobbling thing never occurred to me...

Suze
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,612
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i always do this (unless clothing is very mucky) i never knew the reason for it really, i just got into the habit as my mum always had me turning things inside out before putting in the machine when i was small - she still does it and so do i!! OMG i am turning into my mother!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    :mad:Because when your kids or partner leave a tissue in their pocket it sticks more to the inside of the clothes than the outside and it's a pig to wash off!!!!!!!!!! So it being stuck to the inside, isn't so bad....

Actually no, that's me just having a moan :rotfl: and Churchmouse's answer is more correct than that one of course.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    No lil-me, your answer is oh so true:rotfl: :rotfl:And why is it, you check 20 pockets, the 21st was the one with the tissue:rolleyes:
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure