Working two jobs

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum. Ok so here’s my situation. I have a job and I’m fully employed. My gross is around 32k a year and I work 4 shifts on 4 shifts off. Every 7 blocks of 4 I get 17 days off. 17 days doing nothing except boredom that leads to spending more money.

What I really want to do is invest in my class 2 license and do some driving on my days off. Just runs to the local quarry’s in a Tipper truck would be ideal. The thing is I have no idea wether it pays to have two jobs? I understand tax may be an issue. I just wondered if any of you guys had any experience doing extra work? I know cash in hand is dodgy ground and I don’t want to get myself in hot water. So any info or feedback would be great.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    My second job is taxed at a basic rate so worth me doing but would you be pushed into the higher 40 % tax rate?
    I've also have issue with HMRC because I have multiple income streams thats varied (but most likely that's just personally me) it's always sorted but do find at times I'm temporarily working for very little.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Higher band tax only applies to the income above the threshold, so it's not that by making more you will suddenly start making less! Essentially what it means that you will pay 20% as you do now on the 21k now (32k - 11k personal allowance) and then 40% only on anything above the 32k.

If you are collecting benefits those may be at risk, so worth checking out at what income level you may not be entitled to them anymore.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 November 2017 at 6:05PM
    Arleen wrote: »
    and then 40% only on anything above the 32k.

Not correct! On the second job the op will pay tax at 20% on the first £13000 that he earns and 40% on anything that he earns above that. The higher rate threshold is £45000 and the personal allowance is £11500, not £11000. He will also have to factor in National Insurance contributions at 12% on the second job if earnings from it exceed £8112.

By way of an example, if he earns £10000 on the second job he will have a net income of around £7760.
  • Wow, firstly thank you guys for the response. I would ideally like to stay under the higher tax bracket. And stop doing extra as I got to the 40k mark. Just seems poo that those willing to work extra get a bit of a shafting for it.
  • Something else to think about - is your current job driving related? As in do you use your LGV license for that? If so then you'd have to declare the additional job to your current employer, and vice versa, due to the issues with Tacho cards etc - you'd either need two digital cards or be able to use the same one for both roles which I can see could confuse - and it might also be that the additional hours are going to give you a problem with your driving hours with job 1?

If your existing job is NOT driving related, then is your driver CPC up to date? Otherwise you'd need to do that before you could return to LGV driving? I'm unsure from your OP whether you meant "invest in your class 2 license" as in one you already have - or whether you mean invest in getting it - but if the latter do a bit of reading and research around the area as there's a lot more to it these days than just taking a test! (Apologies if it IS the former and that falls into the teaching grannie to suck eggs category!)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • It all started when I went into a local recruitment agency and asked what the demand for skills was and some flexible shifts, the woman at the desk replied “have you got a Tipper truck license?” So that’s what’s given me the idea to do the license and put myself out there for some flexible work. Costs around £1,900 to get the full works with Scania. That includes medical, theory, practical and testing. All in 5 days.
  • Alvinjhunt wrote: »
    It all started when I went into a local recruitment agency and asked what the demand for skills was and some flexible shifts, the woman at the desk replied “have you got a Tipper truck license?” So that’s what’s given me the idea to do the license and put myself out there for some flexible work. Costs around £1,900 to get the full works with Scania. That includes medical, theory, practical and testing. All in 5 days.

And driver CPC? You'll need that - you'll also need to check that it includes everything you need to understand what you're doing with tachographs. Double check also whether there is a fee for obtaining your driver card for the digital tacho - when I was in the business we still used paper in a lot of the vehicles but the change to digital was underway so now the majority will be digital I'd guess.

*edit* looks like the training for your first license should include CPC as standard - worth checking out what the commitment and ongoing cost is for CPD though.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Spatton
    Spatton Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd be surprised if you can drive tippers with a Class 2, 99.99% certain you'd need a Class 1 given the GVW (gross vehicle weight). That being said, most delivery firms and parcel couriers are desperate for drivers at this time of year and should only need a Class 2 for that.

Your existing employer would almost certainly need to be told though; even if you first job isn't driving you might find your Ts&Cs expressly prohibit it, nominally for H&S reasons, but some employment contracts consider a 2nd job a material breech (i.e. a sackable offence) - it depends what you do for your main job (no need to say, just food for thought).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure