How to tell when a agency/company has bought your debts.

Hey guys. I've had an enforcement agent put a notice through my friends door a few days ago. It says "I have called today to execute a liability order issued to us by out client Birmingham city council"

By this letter does it sound like the debt has been bought OR does it sound like Birmingham city council has hired them to collect on the debt? I have called up but they don't seem willing to answer, they simply want to talk about payment and nothing else.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

A liability order will be for unpaid council tax.

It will be chased by a county court bailiff, not a debt collector.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JenP85
    JenP85 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2017 at 1:18AM
    Thank you very much for your reply!

Ah, i see! You're quite correct, it was actually for Council Tax. So does this still mean that the council are in control of the debt still? I'm making a list of my friends debts and who're in control of them for stepchange. Stepchange asked us to put who is in control of the debt.
    In their exact words...
    "If the debt collector/solicitor is dealing with the debt on behalf of the bank/credit card company, you would list the bank/credit card company as the creditor.

For any debts that have been completely passed from one company to another, you would list whichever company owns the debt at the moment."
    So would the above debt fall into the first categorie?

I'm sorry if I sound a little dumb on this subject. I've literally gone from knowing nothing about debt collection agencies to having to learn everything in a matter of a weekend.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You/your friend, should phone the council today, and explain to the council about there financial situation, ask them to take back the debt from the bailiffs.

It’s a priority debt and must be paid before other credit debts, do not allow the bailiffs entry to your friends home, once inside, they can seize assets to sell if the friend can’t pay.

National debtline a good place to go for free advice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JenP85
    JenP85 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your reply :)

My friend doesn't currently have a house or assets. It's a long story but shes been severely ill for quite a few years and has lost everything; Her house, job etc. She was staying with her mum for two months and the letter was put through her door. Shes phoned Equita and explained that my friend hasn't lived there for a number of months.
    At this point my friend literally has a cat, a nokia 3310 and a bag full of clothes and that is it at this point.

Stepchange has actually asked us NOT to contact Birmingham council or Equita at this point mainly due to my friends health. Every time we do they only want to speak to her and it's making her seriously ill. She has acrophobia and severe depression. They just want us to make a list of creditors for now. From what they have said they're now looking at declaring her bankrupt and think they want us to make a list ready for the BR form. I've even started to fill out the form ready in case that's the route they wish to take.

Going back to the comment from stepchange

"If the debt collector/solicitor is dealing with the debt on behalf of the bank/credit card company, you would list the bank/credit card company as the creditor.

For any debts that have been completely passed from one company to another, you would list whichever company owns the debt at the moment."

You say " ask them to take back the debt from the bailiffs." Does this mean that this falls into the second catorgorie or the first?
    Thanks once again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport