Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2016

Comments

• When you book a hotel with free cancellation, do you pay the whole amount up front, or just the first night's total as deposit, or nothing...
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When you book a hotel with free cancellation, do you pay the whole amount up front, or just the first night's total as deposit, or nothing...
    In my experience it's usually just the first night including tax. Fully refundable if you cancel 48 or 72 hours before.

We sometimes change bookings while we are here, so refundable bookings are an advantage. We only do non refundable if we are saving a decent amount.
  • secretmachines
    secretmachines Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 October 2016 at 8:39AM
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    In my experience it's usually just the first night including tax. Fully refundable if you cancel 48 or 72 hours before.

We sometimes change bookings while we are here, so refundable bookings are an advantage. We only do non refundable if we are saving a decent amount.

Thanks pebblesmax :)
    I think I'll book something to have it secured, and if a deal comes up which I'm happier with, I'll cancel the original booking (in good time!)

UPDATE... so I've just made the reservation, entered my card details for the full amount (it was a free cancellation booking)... does it work that they don't take any money from my account until I check in / fail to meet the cancellation deadline and get charged the first night's rate?
  • Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Anyone tried to exchange a voucher recently? I still have a $25 stripburger one from 2013 but twice (last week & today) now when I click 'Exchange Certificate' a pop up states "we could not exchange at this time". Anyone else experiencing problems or know if I should contact them? Cheers.
    Thank you all who post.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Thanks pebblesmax :)
    I think I'll book something to have it secured, and if a deal comes up which I'm happier with, I'll cancel the original booking (in good time!)

UPDATE... so I've just made the reservation, entered my card details for the full amount (it was a free cancellation booking)... does it work that they don't take any money from my account until I check in / fail to meet the cancellation deadline and get charged the first night's rate?

You need to read the t and c for each booking at each hotel, they can and do differ even at the same hotel

Pebbles has said what the norm is tho.
  • pebblesmax
    The T and c's do vary. I tend to avoid ones that want full payment up front. All my current bookings bar one are first night deposit only.

Who is your booking with?
  • pebblesmax
    Chyna-s wrote: »
    Anyone tried to exchange a voucher recently? I still have a $25 stripburger one from 2013 but twice (last week & today) now when I click 'Exchange Certificate' a pop up states "we could not exchange at this time". Anyone else experiencing problems or know if I should contact them? Cheers.

I got an email from them about half an hour ago with internet interrupted as part of the title. Not sure what it means maybe they have had a problem.

The internet interrupted our magic - Flash Sale is back on!
  • pebblesmax wrote: »
    The T and c's do vary. I tend to avoid ones that want full payment up front. All my current bookings bar one are first night deposit only.

Who is your booking with?
    photome wrote: »
    You need to read the t and c for each booking at each hotel, they can and do differ even at the same hotel

Pebbles has said what the norm is tho.

It was direct with the hotel at a standard rate (not in Vegas)... the ts and cs only talk about 72 hours free cancellation notice, otherwise first night's total + taxes.

there was no "$XXX will be taken at the time of reservation" and there's no payment pending on my credit card (yet). i guess it would make sense for card details to just be held on file and no money taken, as it would cost them to refund an amount back to a card?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    hotels outside of Vegas regularly do not make any charge at the time of booking unless it's a special rate for pre-payment, at least in my experience.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • We just booked a deal with the MO Las for next March. We are staying 8 days . They have taken 1st night only from the cc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure