used car tyre advice .

Comments

• Mr_Poves
    Mr_Poves Posts: 238 Forumite
    I'm mainly asking people would they be happy with 3 tyres with for example 6 mm of tread , and one with 2 mm ?
    And whether it's me overthinking the issue .
  • Mr_Poves
    I'm sorry to say that saying you're not happy with the tyre, but agreeing to buy it without making a condition of sale that it was changed means you have accepted the car as it is. Only if the "rogue" tyre was below min. legal tread depth or had perished walls or was an "out of time" tyre could you force them to change it.

My info may be way, way out of date, but I always understood that with Michelins you should do all 4 or nothing. I'm happy to be corrected if this is wrong.

I do agree with you and had I been buying that car it would have been "No new tyre (or compensatory price reduction) no sale!"

I appreciate that , and thanks for the advice , I'm not spitting my dummy out and walking from the deal , just wanted to see if my expectations are unreasonable , we will see tomorrow what has happened , will post back .
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think I've made it clear I would not be happy, and it would be change, price reduction or no sale
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    it could affect the car's straight line breaking.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    what size tyre is it? ie 215 45 17 or whatever. Speed rating v /w / y ? Is it 93 / 95 / 97 load?

If you have the size we can price a tyre, if I really liked the car I'd be happy to buy a Tyre, if you get them to stick one on expect a brand you wouldn't pick!
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    loskie wrote: »
    it could affect the car's straight line breaking.

is that when the car has a kit-Cat or something else like braking?
  • Mr_Poves
    what size tyre is it? ie 215 45 17 or whatever. Speed rating v /w / y ? Is it 93 / 95 / 97 load?

If you have the size we can price a tyre, if I really liked the car I'd be happy to buy a Tyre, if you get them to stick one on expect a brand you wouldn't pick!

I'm not 100% sure on size , I will just go and see what's what tomorrow , I have emailed tonight before closing time so I'm hoping it's either been sorted for the pdi , or it may get done in the morning.
    Thanks for the feedback guys .
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mr_Poves wrote: »
    Hi , I have made it clear all along I'm not happy about the tyre , I've paid a small deposit pending the finance approval , which will be finalized tomorrow , it's not the end of the world , but it's the fact that 3 have been changed and the one left that bothers me , if they were for example 3 michelin and 1 pirelli I would not have an issue , but it's the actual tread depth on the one odd tyre that bothers me , I'm just looking for opinions .
    It certainly won't be a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned , I just don't really fancy going buying a tyre the same day I pick the car up , out of principle .

What principal is that then
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not Evans Halshaw is it ?? I had exactly the same issue a while back with the above...criteria is 3mm or less they change the tyres above that no change....hard and fast rule.

On balance price was much lower than others so, yes I bought a tyre a week after buying a car...all swings and roundabouts !
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Is it a normal type tyre (40-50 quid) or a super wide rubber band type that would cost a few hundred?

Either way it would put me off. Its pretty normal to replace both front/rear as a pair. mixing and matching would suggest a serious lack of care of the vehicle. If the previous owner changed the tyres it would make me a bit suspect about how well they cared for the car while they had it. If the garage did it then i wouldnt by buying a go-cart from a bunch of cowboys like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure