Monthly or Annual Interest ???

Hi

I plan to open an instant access savings account, however is it better to have interest paid monthly rather than annually on the savings in this account to get the best returns especially if you intend to remove some of the money in the savings account over the course of the year.

I have seen that ING Direct offer 5% interest and pay monthly interest, are there any other good savings accounts that meets my requirements. The A&L savings is set to 5.35% but pays interest annually.

I appreciate any advice/guidance that can be given.

TIA

Comments

• blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    annually is usually a higher rate thank monthly interest even with the compouning in this case i believe the alliance leicester is better the bradford and bingley is also a good monthly savings at 5.13%
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you compare AERs (Annual Equivalent Rates) there is no difference for you whether interest is added monthly or annually. If AERs are the same you will get the same income. If account pays interest annually, the interest is still calculated on daily basis (with very rare exceptions). If you close such account before the year-end you still get the full interest earned. The only difference could be if you want to withdraw and spend income during a year, but in this case you cannot predict total yearly interest by using AER because AER assumes adding interests to savings (compounding).
    This problem was also discussed in this THREAD.

A&L is better than ING (I take only interest rate into account) unless you have more than £25K.
  • ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    idv - If you decide to join Alliance + Leicester in order to open an Online Saver account, you can earn monthly interest via A+L's current account.

5.85% gross interest can be earned by monthly deposits of any amount between £10 - £1,000) in Derbyshire Bdg Society's Regular Saver account. Interest is paid annually, but it can be enjoyable for customers to calculate, each month, the amount of interest likely to have been gained at that point in time on their swelling balance. One penalty-free withdrawal is allowed each year, so effectively instant access.

Hope this helps.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The difference between a possible rate compounded and the same rate paid once a year is usually practically nil.

Eg 5% twelve times a year at [5/12]% = (1.004166)^12 = 5.116%

5% every day [365 times a year] at [5/365] = (1.000137)^365 = 5.126%

There is a limit to infinitely compounding the same 'simple' of interest rate over shorter and shorter intervals which is: '(e^I) - 1' - where 'e' is the base of the natural logarthim - 2.71828.. and 'I' is the interest rate expressed as a decimal numder - thus 5% becomes '0.05'

Thus (2.718281828^0.05) - 1 = 0.051271096 [5.127%]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • So if I had an ISA which paid annually could I pay into a savings account which paid monthly and then put the money in the ISA just before the annual interest was about to be paid and so get two lots of interest for the year?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    No you could not. The ISA(just like any savings account) pays interest based on how long the money is there for. If you only had the £3k in for one day, one day's interest is all you would receive.
  • Cheers, thanks for clarifying that for me
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you are a tax payer, you will earn a little more interest if it is paid annually.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • I have several isa's but at some stage in the near future I would like to transfer the savings into something which will provide a monthly income in retirment...........is there such a thing as a monthly income cash isa?
    David Sills
  • Similar problem, still none the wiser.

I'm considering opening an easy access saver to drip-feed another savings account.
    This easy access saver has the option of having my interest paid in annually, or monthly.

Monthly interest is at 3,06% AER, and annual interest is at 3,10% AER. If you want more info, the account is a Santander esaver Issue 4 (newbie can't link apparently).

I intend to deposit a bulk sum and have a net monthly "exit" from the account of about 4% of the bulk sum. I only plan to keep the account for just over a year because the bonus interest then drops.

Any Maths whizz that can show me some equation goodness? I would probably understand them if someone showed them to me but am unable to come up with them myself.

By the way I am a taxpayer at 20% if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to some sexy Maths!
    Saving £10,000 in 2013: £4491.48/£10,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport