Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

shaggydoo
shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
edited 8 April 2019 at 9:06AM in Debt free diaries
Hi Guys,

Sadly we lost our thread and I don't personally keep a private record of others AFDs so all data on the old thread is gone.

I've decided I'm going to bow out for a while as I'm actually pretty busy here in RL. And my life is about to get really hectic as I'm moving home....Also it will be hard to have challenges if data is getting lost. Sorry guys.

....It's been great...maybe I'll be back in a few months...

Ta Ta For Now.

Shaggyx

Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say...:beer: but this time with water!!
And here's what she started!!! :

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.

Comments

• Another thread gone :mad:

Thanks for all your help with running this thread.

Good luck with the move and I wish you a lovely time in your new house.

Pmo2
    xx
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks Shaggy and good luck with the move
    I am just going to keep track myself and avoid the Forums until this is all sorted
    Good luck to everyone else too
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Any ideas why the thread has gone?!
  • Hi, it looks like several threads have disappeared.
    Such a shame as we were all rolling along nicely.
    I did report it to admin a couple of days ago never got a response so we don't even know if they are going to try to recover it.
    Such a shame about Shaggy, she ran the thread so well. It's a shame we can't have a whip round and send her some flowers.
    Hopefully the others will catch up in due course and we can decide how we can take this forward.

Jo x
    Sealed pot challenge number - #057 2017 = £172.57 2018 = ????
    15/12/17 Mortgage £219,902 Secured loan £54,946 Unsecured £66,088:eek:
    15/1/18 Mortgage £219,596 Secured loan £54,492 Unsecured £64,,459 :eek:
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to Shaggy for all your hard work over the years - you have been amazing :T:T:T

Wishing you the very best of luck with your house move :)
  • ManPants
    ManPants Posts: 542 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hello Everyone

Just logged in to load on another day and the thread has gone.

I'm end of month now having done 11 AF

OH and I are getting on better. In a dreadful rush so can't get into whys and where for.

Just to re-iterate what Sukey said, Shaggy, you have been AMAZING. Thank you so much for the YEARS and YEARS you've done the tallying and counting.

M.P
    Quit Smoking 12 years 2 months.
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A huge thanks from me too for everything you!!!8217;ve done over the years. I!!!8217;ve really appreciated it and it!!!8217;s helped to keep me on track.

How about we continue to keep track of our own scores and keep posting here like we normally do. I!!!8217;m worried I!!!8217;ll get slack if I don!!!8217;t. January hasn!!!8217;t been as good as it could do I!!!8217;m keen to be accountable as much as I can.

15/17 for January
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HI Everyone,

Boo to losing the thread. Huge thanks to you Shaggy and all the other contributors.

Arkers x
  • scatterbrain109
    scatterbrain109 Posts: 129 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2018 at 12:47AM
    Good idea to keep our own country, I'm 31/31 today.
    My annual target is 186 so I am 31/186 for the year

My February target is 28 because I am aiming for 100 consecutive days with a friend. I think she's already caved but hasn't 'fussed up.

How's everyone else getting on?

BTW - My figures look boring because I'm on my pad, I'll be back in to tart them up later.

Jo xx
    Sealed pot challenge number - #057 2017 = £172.57 2018 = ????
    15/12/17 Mortgage £219,902 Secured loan £54,946 Unsecured £66,088:eek:
    15/1/18 Mortgage £219,596 Secured loan £54,492 Unsecured £64,,459 :eek:
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 February 2018 at 9:30AM
    Thanks Scatterbrain.

Thank you Shaggy for everything you've done for so long. Without you it would have collapsed a long time ago and I don't think I'd have stayed AF. Not sure how we'll manage without you while you deal with your move, but I hope it goes well and you come back, even if it's just to say 'Hi.'
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Any ideas why the thread has gone?!

It's because people keep hitting the Report/Spam button, whether by accident or maliciously nobody seems to know. Once it's happened a certain number of times MSE algorithums delete the whole thread and MSE won't put it back up again because that would make them publishers apparently - which would mean they're legally liable for the content, I think. Sad, but dozens of threads have disappeared completely over the past six months, including a lot of Debt Free Diaries. Locked threads and diaries are safe, so everything up to and including Thread 13 is safe, we've only lost Thread 14.

And the Edit buttons goes missing sporadically, too, which makes life slightly harder.

My laptop charger isn't charging my laptop, and I think I need my techie chappie to weld something inside it but he's recovering from flu. Normally I'd use my proper computer but the dog's suffering from his nerves a bit following Chrismas which means I can't go upstairs to work in my office on the main computer for any length of time. I'm frustrated beyond reason, but it's why I've been posting so sporadically for the past few weeks. Normal service will be resumed shortly I hope. Once it is, although I can't do what Shaggy has been doing so well for so long, I can have a crack at it if no-one else picks up the mantle in the meantime. Anyone fancy having a crack at it?

31/31.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family