NatWest £125 switch incentive

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    For several years now you have been able to chose the option of paying in 12 instalments. The council where I live hides that little piece of info in the small print on the back of the bill! Others, I understand are rather more open. Since the new bill is lurking on the horizon ? for March I suggest you call your council now and try to get it sorted for the next financial year.
    Thanks. I had become aware of this recently and I will contact my Council shortly.

I don't seem to be able to find a similar facility for Water bills. I suppose I should call them to see what they say but it seems unlikely they will allow it.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    One little odd bit of advice from the cs guy .... he told me to go in again to "Security" and order another card reader .... saying it will come in handy, and also "just in case" .... I didn't argue with him, just did it!

He's right - if you're using this account on a regular basis a second card reader is essential. I use it as my main current account and have about 4 card readers (not all Natwest, one is from Nationwide but works with my Natwest account). I keep one in my desk at work and one in my overnight bag. "Just in case".

Eventually the battery will run out so it's handy to have a spare for that reason too.
  • TheBanker
    Options
    The 2% Reward does seem to be a bt of a convoluted affair, however. e.g. Council Tax is calculated, they say, on the basis of 12 payments per year but how that works for most, paying 10 payment per year, is anyone's guess. I'll just have to wait and see what the heck they mean by that.

It isn't a convoluted affair. I've had the account since it launched and it works well for me.

Every time an eligible direct debit is collected from your account, the 2% is added as "pending" to your rewards account. After 35 days it changes from "pending" to "available". When the balance on the rewards account is £5 you can withdraw it as cash (to your bank account) or change it for vouchers.

It makes no difference whether you pay your council tax over 10 or 12 months. Say it's £1,200 per year. Paid over 10 months you'd get £2.40 cashback for the first 10 months and no cashback for the last 2 months. If you pay over 12 months you'll get £2 per month for 12 months.

If you're keeping the account and also use credit cards, the Cashback Plus credit card is worth looking at. It pays 1% cashback in supermarkets and 0.5% cashback elsewhere. It normally comes with a £24 annual fee but Natwest waive the fee if you also have a Rewards Current Account. Obviously only good value if you pay in full each month, otherwise the high interest rate wipes out any cashback benefits.
  • TheBanker
    Options
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    I'm with Adindas ... keep it for the next switch incentive! NWide => Clydesdale => NWest => ?

Only Lloyds and Halifax left that I haven't already got/had ...... hoping another Clydesdale will come along :think:

My account's come home. It started life with Natwest (easiest way to open a "spare" account as I already banked with them) and has been to visit TSB and Halifax. It might go to M&S next if their offer is still running in a few months.
  • Spatchelor
    Options
    I think I've exhausted all the switching deals, they are only offered to 'new' customers. As I have had accounts with most banks now, even though they are closed accounts, how long is it before my record is wiped and I become a 'new' customer again? Does anyone know?
    Thanks
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Spatchelor wrote: »
    I think I've exhausted all the switching deals, they are only offered to 'new' customers. As I have had accounts with most banks now, even though they are closed accounts, how long is it before my record is wiped and I become a 'new' customer again? Does anyone know?
    Thanks

Good question, and one a lot of people would like an answer to, I think most banks nowadays have an open ended date so once you've been a customer you can never again be a "new" customer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Halifax advertise it as 2012 so it could be a 5 year thing.
  • broju
    broju Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tg99 wrote: »
    Ordered a card reader a few days ago. In meantime went to activate the debit card online but when click on the Activate A New Debit Card option in the menu it comes up saying “Unfortunately this option is not available to you.
    This is because it is not appropriate to your particular account on-line, or does not apply to customers under 16 years. For further assistance please refer to Support Centre.” Anyone else had the same? Same message when a relative tries to activate their’s too.

Same for me this morning. Has it resolved for you? Just wondering if it's because our card readers are 'on order' but ..........?
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    broju wrote: »
    Same for me this morning. Has it resolved for you? Just wondering if it's because our card readers are 'on order' but ..........?

Still getting the same message even though the card reader has been activated. Oh well the joys of dealing with a dinosaur of a bank.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Spatchelor wrote: »
    Thanks
    harz99 wrote: »
    Good question, and one a lot of people would like an answer to, I think most banks nowadays have an open ended date so once you've been a customer you can never again be a "new" customer.
    Halifax advertise it as 2012 so it could be a 5 year thing.

Halifax may say 2012, but First Direct do not pay (or have not in the past paid) an incentive if you have ever had an account with them.

It isn't a 'one size fits all'. Each bank has its own T&Cs and is at liberty to change those T&Cs with each new switch incentive it offers.

So, the moral is..... read the T&Cs for the current incentive;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure