Cheap pension providers for smaller contributions?

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    I understand that but they would get the same tax relief in their own private pension, stakeholder or SIPP (or whatever else if there are other pension wrapper options).

What would you do? Would you just lump all future money into the workplace pension? Ok you get a bit more choice with the NEST one than you do with the NOW one but only a bit.

I had the same option available to me. I could've kept putting extra contributions into my workplace pension but instead i opened a SIPP with Cavendish & invested in a VLS fund to begin with as i felt this would generate better returns. That was just my feeling. I made my decision & i stick with it.

But would you put into the workplace pension rather than a private one in this situation?
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Also with the money being where it currently is in the form of a S&S ISA, £10k in is £10k. The point here is there is no tax relief to compound year on year which is just another reason they are leaning towards a pension over a S&S ISA.
    Hi

I don't know if you misread what I said but, I agree. See point 2 (and 2.1). This was offered as a way of mitigating the possible issue around minimum monthly contribution of a SIPP whilst continuing to save and invest and subsequently switch in to the SIPP and obtain the tax relief (and repeat).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 4:58PM
    Options
    Sorry at their age I am unsure why we are not talking about filling S&S LISAs? Did I miss something?

If they are basic rate taxpayers with no salary sacrifice or additional employer contributions then the tax benefit of putting money in an additional pension might be low. If they invest and grow enough from their workplace pensions to use up their personal allowances when drawing income in retirement they will pay an effective tax rate of 15% (20% on the non tax free 75%) on the SIPP draw down.

However with LISA saving you get the 25% bonus and there is no tax to pay at 60. Under current rules you can even cycle the LISA money into a pension between the age of 60 and 75 at 2880 per year if a non earner (or more if still earning) to get the marginal tax benefit of a pension?

Alex
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Sorry at their age I am unsure why we are not talking about filling S&S LISAs? Did I miss something?

If they are basic rate taxpayers with no salary sacrifice or additional employer contributions then the tax benefit of putting money in an additional pension might be low. If they invest and grow enough from their workplace pensions to use up their personal allowances when drawing income in retirement they will pay an effective tax rate of 15% (20% on the non tax free 75%) on the SIPP draw down.

However with LISA saving you get the 25% bonus and there is no tax to pay at 60. Under current rules you can even cycle the LISA money into a pension between the age of 60 and 75 at 2880 per year if a non earner (or more if still earning) to get the marginal tax benefit of a pension?

Alex
    A few reasons really.

The biggest of which was benefits.

Now we're not benefit bums, never have been & we'd all rather not end up on benefits because that would mean life is going well.

But when i read that your ISAs (including S&S/LISAs) could be used against you when claiming benefits whereas pensions can't then this was a huge factor.

To explain it further, our mother worked since she was 14. Was never out of work & sometimes carrying multiple jobs. She was not the type to sit on her backside & sponge, far from it.

But then when she turned 40 things changed. I wont go into detail much because i'm not here to have the situation judged but she now has to claim IB & DLA. I know one or both of them has changed their names in recent times (is it ESA or something like that these days?). As far as i'm aware one of them is means tested and the other is not.

The point is you never know what tomorrow is going to bring, so you make your decisions & stick by them.

To be honest i didn't really understand the first half of what you said. Maybe it's because i'm really tired but i've a feeling i wont understand it tomorrow either.

I get the distinct impression that the advice is coming my way that pensions in this case are a bad thing & tbh i don't understand why.
  • Alexland
    edited 10 October 2017 at 10:34PM
    Options
    Yes savings including LISAs can reduce your entitlement to benefits. As can income from a pension. Appreciate that you have recently seen this in your close family and you will have to judge if it is likely to affect any benefits they are realistically likely to claim.

The core problem is that for a working basic rate taxpayer, once they have harvested the max employer contribution and if they have no way of saving national insurance, the tax benefits of saving into a parallel pension or making extra contributions can be limited.

Sure it's great to see the 25% government bonus when contributing to a SIPP or the reduced tax on a payslip but you need to consider the tax paid on income when they become a pensioner.

While pensioners get a tax free income allowance it is likely that it will be used up by the state pension and the income they receive from their workplace pension if they continue to be employed to state pension age.

As such a second parallel pension would be taxed at 20% (unless they retire before state pension age) which would completely wipe out the 25% bonus they received on the contribution - if it wasn't for the chance to take 25% out tax free. So the effective tax rate is around 15% which means there is a small advantage provided the income tax rate doesn't go up or the tax free element is not reduced.

However on a LISA the upfront bonus is the same 25% but it will not be taxed when it becomes accessible at 60. In addition if the LISA money is then put into a pension between the ages 60 to 75 you can still get the small tax advantage.

Finally if they do really well for themselves in the future then the LISA could be released before 60 to help with house - while I understand this is not the objective the flexibility is there.

Alex.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I know what you're saying and i understand the benefits of the LISA but pretty much everything i have read has listed pensions as being the better option.

The annoying thing is it seems you have to do a bit more digging to find anything about information & advice linked to a basic rate tax payer. It seems all these articles just assume everyone is a higher rate tax payer. I'm not sure why, i would imagine that there's more BR tax payers out there than HR tax payers? I could be wrong, i'm only guessing.
  • Alexland
    edited 10 October 2017 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Most of the press coverage has been where someone might crazily opt out of auto enrollment and give up the employer contributions. With salary sacrifice the returns of additional unmatched contributions are about the same as the LISA.

Higher rate tax payers are more likely to read and write financial articles and get significantly more benefit from a pension than basic rate taxpayers.

It's totally unfair and I say that as someone with a high enough income to benefit enormously from the status quo.

I would prefer to see a reformed pension system where everyone benefits the same regardless of income or whether their employer offers salary sacrifice. Then the majority of people would have an incentive to put more away for retirement. Still too many vested interests with the decision makers to make that happen.

Alex
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I agree with your opening. I've spent plenty of time searching for articles & find very little that matches me. By very little i'd say probably nothing.

They've all at least got something my situation hasn't - it may be the option of salary sacrifice, it may be the higher rate, it may be contributions from the employer above the minimum or it may be a mixture. I haven't found anything that writes for the person on the bare minimum.

Anyway, in my position, at 34 (& my wife at 35), we just need to get our pots built. We started at 28 & 29 although with buying the house we only really started putting more in this past year or so (so we're late really).

Now since you can invest in the same things in both, i'm guessing by the time we hit 65 (let's just use that as a retirement age), the final balance would be the same in a pension (private) as it would be in a LISA, correct?

Which would make the question i guess as how would we like to deal with that money after we retire? All available in 1 whack or 25% tax free & then paying yourself a wage in a way.
  • Alexland
    Options
    Yes assuming no difference in fees and ignoring the slight difference in timing in recieving the government bonus for the first year then at 60 (or 65 or all the way through) you would have had the same 25% boost putting £4k into a personal SIPP or a LISA. The main difference is than when withdrawing the money the LISA is tax free whereas the pension may attract income tax.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »

Sure it's great to see the 25% government bonus when contributing to a SIPP or the reduced tax on a payslip but you need to consider the tax paid on income when they become a pensioner.

At least the money saved offers the opportunity to retire early or reduce hours to part time. With an increasing retirement age. Many people will find themselves struggling to be gainfully employed in their latter years. Once out of the work cycle. Difficult to get back in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure