Defaults on missed utility bill payments

Options
Hi All,

I am responsible for paying the gas, electric and water rates in the property i live in with my partner. His name is on the accounts but the payments come out of my bank account. Due to budgeting issues, a few payments have been missed and this was registered on my partners credit file. My question is, if i take his name off the bills and change it to mine, will that stop the missed payments being registered on his file and go on mine instead? My credit file is shot to pieces so doesnt matter to me but it has affected his.

Many thanks

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The payments that have already been missed will stay in his credit file as the bills were in his name at the time.

If you change into your name and miss any more, it will affect your record.
    :p
  • LeedsLass_2
    Options
    Thanks, as i said, im not bothered about my credit file! Just dont want his to be affected
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    If your credit file is really bad then it is possible they won't set up a credit account in your name (or change the name on the existing account).
    They may require upfront payment.

As its not possible to remove the late payments already registered against your partner, providing you are able to ensure all payments are made on time going forward (or your partner is) then its may well just be better to leave them in his name now and make all payments on time.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • jellie
    jellie Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your partner's credit files will reflect the payment history when his name was on the bill and it isn't possible to just swap the late payments to show on your records.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure