Help with employment law

Anyone know anything about employment law, could you help me with a few questions

Firstly my Girlfiend who works as a support worker in supported living housing has been on a retainer shift(on call) today which operates in a 24 hour period from 9am one morning to 9am the next

She has just been called at 22.15 to do a night shift where she is required to stay awake and lasts from when she gets to work about 22.30 till 8am

What are the leaglities of this, surely if required to do a night shift they must notify her earlier in the day in order for her to get some sleep before the shift??

Whilst I'm asking what is the legality of her working from 7.30am to 10pm without a break/rest period.

Also If she finishes a shift at 10pm is it legal for her to start at 7.30am the following morning, i thought there had to be an 11 hour break between shifts??

Quickly glancing through her contract, she has opted out of the 48h working week, don't know how that would effect her situation apart from that its fine for her to work 48h+ weeks

Thanks very much for any help

John

Comments

• CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    john_trfc wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about employment law, could you help me with a few questions

Firstly my Girlfiend who works as a support worker in supported living housing has been on a retainer shift(on call) today which operates in a 24 hour period from 9am one morning to 9am the next

She has just been called at 22.15 to do a night shift where she is required to stay awake and lasts from when she gets to work about 22.30 till 8am

What are the leaglities of this, surely if required to do a night shift they must notify her earlier in the day in order for her to get some sleep before the shift??

Whilst I'm asking what is the legality of her working from 7.30am to 10pm without a break/rest period.

Also If she finishes a shift at 10pm is it legal for her to start at 7.30am the following morning, i thought there had to be an 11 hour break between shifts??

Quickly glancing through her contract, she has opted out of the 48h working week, don't know how that would effect her situation apart from that its fine for her to work 48h+ weeks

Thanks very much for any help

John

Hi John

There are 2 very useful factsheets on the national CAB website Adviceguide . These are Working Hours and Rest Breaks at Work and they cover the situation that your partner finds herself in and details how the issue might be resolved. They also give details of the Pay and Work Rights helpline who can provide further help.

Follow the link below to get at them :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_factsheets.htm
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure