LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all

Having a funny 5 minutes :(

Think it's that a CC statement that has gone astray in the post and I have just phoned for the total and it's a huge amount. It's work expenses mainly but I fear I am not keeping good enough records. I don't reconcile against my statements ( because there are so many of them) and it's a mistake. Must do better from now on. Feel nervous for the first time..had my penultimate pay cheque and it's all getting a bit real...I know I am doing the right thing but feeling wobbly.

So..plan to have a proper talk with OH this eve as work and hols got in way last week. He will buoy me up. Need to have a tres frugal month despite family celebrations and birthdays etc to save up to insulate me against cash flow issues in the summer. Panicking won't help...planning will. :)
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Hi Brizzle, stop, breath, get excel open and detail your expenses. It's always worse when something goes wrong but it will be fixed.

You have things lined up ready for the future :):):)

How about doing what Mr T has done and have a separate, but linked, account and a separate CC - preferably one with cash back and interest free period so you can stooze. He's only paying the minimum and a small SO on top, but building the cash up to offset.

Take it easy and get the kettle on.

Tilly x x x x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Sounding just what you needed :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Team MSE:)

Better today. Have had a day off and it's been productive so that has helped. I have made some tricky emails/calls I was putting off and that has helped. Looking for new opportunities needs to be thought about but I feel calmer now as I have a few more irons in the fire.

I have done the usual TTs and chased some outstanding receipts for hotels etc. Using fast checkout, I realise, has it's drawbacks. If I get these (when I get those!) I should be back on track. I do try and use a single CC for expenses but it's the small cash purchases and when my usual card was scammed that has thrown me.

I have also just opened an ISA..yippee! Feels a good move. I have made a lump sum payment in to kick start it and then the rent money will go into it every month. So £400 PM all being well - which is hardly £15000 a year but it's better than nowt. What I really want to do is pay down the mortgage so I don't want to get too distracted by the ISA. Which reminds me, shortly should be scores on the doors for MFIT...mustn't miss it this month. Will chuck a reminder on the phone.

What else?..bread made in BM, 3 loads of washing on, plants thriving. Bank stuff done and ID verified and errands run. New dishwasher been plumbed in and old one taken away ....tres exciting ....:D no more swearing at its intermittent faults...this is a whole new era in kitchen organisation :rotfl:

We are also being given a tandem canoe at a fraction of the price (maybe a quarter?)of what it should be, second hand....really generous of the current owners. It will be great for hols and will be OH's birthday present:) he is thrilled and it means we can travel together again..and I don't get left on the bank, waving ;)

So feeling chirpier. Am sure there will be highs and lows but it will be worth it. Right best get a shimmy on..jackets and salad for tea...yum.

X
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh and my good deed for the week is a small interest free loan to a teenager friend of ours for his rent. Paying me back in Sept when his student loan comes through. He has nowhere to turn and no hope of Bank of M&D. Whilst I will have cash flow issues this year I do have a roof over my head...it's the right thing to do, so have done it.

Off to make a cuppa before going to the school gates. As DD2 is in Y6 and off to big school in September my chances of doing this for much longer are severely limited so will take them whilst I can :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Oh and my good deed for the week is a small interest free loan to a teenager friend of ours for his rent. Paying me back in Sept when his student loan comes through. He has nowhere to turn and no hope of Bank of M&D. Whilst I will have cash flow issues this year I do have a roof over my head...it's the right thing to do, so have done it.

Off to make a cuppa before going to the school gates. As DD2 is in Y6 and off to big school in September my chances of doing this for much longer are severely limited so will take them whilst I can :)

I have always said that if we cant look after our fellow human beings there is something far wrong.
    I have a very limited budget but still try to help people out when I can.
    So :A
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hi Brizzle, just popping in to say Hi :):):)

Good luck with the planning.

Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Beanie :) It's good to be able to help out
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Mrs T.. All good here, now :)
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad you are feeling better today, and hope you get all the expenses sorted soon.

That's a lovely thing to do for your friend.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure