Any Tesco Workers. Please

My son works 10hrs a weak evenings at tescos. I have heard if he works overtime he may get a proportion of this overtime in holiday. Is this true?

Thanks
The measure of love is love without measure

Comments

• fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    it may be a way around the working time directive.
    We get back a certain amount of holiday that we couldn't take because of "call out duty" so maybe this is something like this. NOTE: I DO NOT WORK AT TESCO.
    He would be 'better off' getting the time in lieu as the tax man would take money off him if his earnings got over the personal limit threshold.
    HTH
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • My wife, who is a Tesco checkout team leader, says this should not be so.
    Tescos latest enemy.........
  • So If he worked a bank holiday extra would he just get paid for it?
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    I don't work at Tesco but I think the rules are a bit different when a bank holiday is concerned.
    At M&S when its a bank holiday and it is overtime, you can either get the extra pay (time and a half or double depending when you started working there) or you can take 'time owing.'
    Time owing is essentially time off which you can usually take whenever.

It is probably similar in Tesco but I'm sure someone from Tesco will be able to clarify that for you.
  • Thanks for all of this. I would also like to know if Sunday is classed the same as any other day of the week?
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    At Morrisons, holiday pay is taken as an average of the previous six weeks earnings. So if he is contracted to work 2 days a week and worked 3 days for one of the 6 weeks leading up to his holiday he will get paid a little bit extra.

Is that what you mean? I don't know if Tescos does it the same way?
  • Don't know about Tesco, but it does at Sainsburys. Last year I got an extra 7 hours holiday, only contracted to work 16 hours a week. We are told our annual allowance in the new year and we then get an updated account in the summer. We can then either have then extra time off or take it as pay.
  • wirehair
    wirehair Posts: 4,291 Forumite
    Hi, My son works at Tesco , overtime is paid for Sundays at time and a half , He gets paid double time as when he started there that was the case. As for bank holidays, he has them off as he works for home shopping , but he has to work a half day some other time to compensate for this.
    Never pay more than you have too
  • Just seen the bit about sundays, at Sainsburys we get a premium for working on sundays. Bank Holidays are paid as overtime. A chat to personel should put him straight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure