Accountancy - which route?

Hi,

I am at a stage in my current career where I feel I need to change direction. I was uncertain as a student which path I should choose so I studied and completed an HND in Business & Finance. I believe this exempts certains parts of future qualifications?

In my current job I manage about 15 relatively low/med skilled people in a commercial retail environment. I have a great deal to do with finance in the role as I have to manage my day to day trading and finances.

I am approaching 40 and feel that I want to change my career before its too late! However I am confused as to the study path with all the range of different qualifications out there.

I would appreciate any guidance on the matter
Thanks!

Comments

• mikewebs
    mikewebs Posts: 538 Forumite
    Hi There!

I have an HND Business & Finance and a Bachelors degree in Business Studies and, although I could have gone down the ACCA route, I went with the AAT through my local college. I found the NVQ approach particularly suitable for me because it was very much practically based. In one year I managed to get NVQ2 (AAT Foundation) also I got a Foundation Certificate in Health and Safety, an Open College Network Certificate in Book-keeping and one in Computerised Accounts. All this and all I had to pay was a £10 enrolment fee because my local Further Education college does full-time courses free and also Part-time courses are free if you are claiming certain benefits.

You have to pay to join the AAT (about £85 membership) so you can sit the exams. I think that this may be a suitable route for you - you get a good grounding in book-keeping - you may get exemptions - but most of all I found my course oriented towards how it's done in the workplace rather than how it's done in a text book (and after reading a few texts believe me there can be a huge difference). Even if you have to pay at my local college the part time course costs about £300 for the year.

I looked into the ACCA route but it was very costly - about £40-£70 a module - I thought. Also the Open University do a Certificate in Accounting which costs about £1900!

Hope this helps you decide which route to take.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Jazzycat
    Jazzycat Posts: 459 Forumite
    thanks Mike,

this sort of assistance is great to me. I would rather look at courses designed at actual work place tasks than a text book version which as you say can differ enormously.

Great advice - thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport