Help - Leak in flat

Hi,

I live in a block of flats. I live on a 'middle floor' so I have other flats on top and below me.

I have just come home to discover a leak coming through my roof (right in the middle of the flat - not near any external walls). The leak is big enough to have made a chunk of my plasterboard roof (about 2 inches in diameter) fall to the floor and leave a gaping hole in the roof! Through the hole I can feel a plastic pipe which is quite big (around 3 inch diameter, maybe more grey/white in colour) - any plumber know what this sort of pipe may be commonly used for? Is this pipe likely to be for services to the flat above me or my flat?

There is just a 'drip' at the minute coming from the area. I cannot see exactly where it is coming from.

I dont know what way the plumbing is laid out in this block of apartments. but does this look to be coming from the flat above. I thought all plumbing ran under your floor. The flooring is made of concrete.

If it is coming from the flat above what rights do I have?

Obviously I am going to have to get a plumber on the scene 1st thing in the moring to investigate.

Help please!

Mods - I have posted this in a couple of sections please fell free to move to the most appropriate.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    There are far more qualified people than I who contribute to this Forum, however a 3 inch pipe would appear to me to be some sort of waste pipe; certainly not any form of supply pipe. If it is a waste pipe (and assuming the leak is coming from it) it might have a drip now but of course it might not be in use when you looked at it.

One word of caution, water leaks are notoriously difficult to trace. Do not assume that the leak is directly above where the hole is. Water will obviously run to the lowest/weakest part to make its presence felt.

If it is from the flat above, my understanding is their insurance should pay for damage, unless there is a common policy for the building.
  • Have you been upstairs and told them there's a problem? It may only be dripping now but you may get a nasty surprise next time they use the toilet :(
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
  • As some of the plaster has come off the ceiling, your plumber will properly be able to see straight away what pipe is leaking. I think that it is probably either a supply pipe or a central heating pipe. You should also go up to the flat above to let them know that you have a leak in your flat as the plumber will probably need to go up here and check what room is above. What room is the leak coming in through. Upstairs may have a leaking waste pipe from either their bath, wash hand basin or toilet or even from kitchen waste pipe. Don't forget water travels so it could be from anywhere really. That probably doesn't help you much but you need to get it sorted asap. Be careful if the water is leaking near your light fittings. If it is don't put the lights on for a couple of days as you need to give it time to dry out. Good luck.
  • Thanks for your replies.

Got abuilder friend in and it turned out to be a pipe from the gas boiler which carries waste water out. Joint had moved apart and opened. Have to get a chunk of roof replaced but other than that not a lot of damage luckily!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure