The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Operation required work say I can't have time off on this date

124»

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Go to the GP and get signed off for the week of the surgery.

You are clearly worried and upset by the situation and anxious about the outcome of the surgery, so much you can't focus on anything especially work.
    Yes - very stressful.
  • prowla
    Forumite
    Elective Surgery is, apparently, any non-emergency surgery (ie. which doesn't have to be done within 24 hours).

Some might confuse the term "Elective" to mean unimportant or non-essential, but really it just means it requires an advance appointment.

It could be to fix a crippling or painful condition which is adversely affecting the quality of your life, or it could be cosmetic surgery for vanity; the term itself doesn't distinguish.

It could be that rejecting on the basis that it is "Elective" could simply be a misunderstanding of the term as, by definition, any pre-planned procedure is Elective.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I had also colleagues that had a planned operation in 4-6 weeks time. Get a cancellation which is three weeks earlier and only informed about the cancellation three days before.

This particular colleague was in tears with pain and was unable to do a few tasks
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I manage 3 managers, who each manage 6 or 7 people. So we are a team of 23.
    I!!!8217;m really shocked that your employer has such a callous disregard for your health :-(
  • KateBob
    KateBob Posts: 1,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    Elective Surgery is, apparently, any non-emergency surgery (ie. which doesn't have to be done within 24 hours).

Some might confuse the term "Elective" to mean unimportant or non-essential, but really it just means it requires an advance appointment.

I hated the fact that my second c-section was referred to as elective, if I'd had a choice it wouldn't be a caesarean delivery.

I agree that it's likely the employer has misunderstood the necessity of the operation (or I'm hopeful that they aren't really that bad)
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,256
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It may be a helpful distinction that once you have had the operation you should get a doctors note to sign you off sick for the recovery time needed. Have you read your sickness policy?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Kate/Bob wrote: »
    I hated the fact that my second c-section was referred to as elective, if I'd had a choice it wouldn't be a caesarean delivery.

I agree that it's likely the employer has misunderstood the necessity of the operation (or I'm hopeful that they aren't really that bad)
    I know exactly what you mean! A couple of years ago my hip bone died and crumbled away (No, I didn't know they could do that either!) , and I was in agonising pain to the extent that I was on a level of morphine usually reserved for terminal cancer patients (according to my GP) and was still in agony. I couldn't walk. So I had to have an urgent hip replacement. And it was also "elective ". There was absolutely nothing choice based about it!

Not long after that there was a debate in a nearby health trust about saving money by not performing elective surgeries like hip replacements because people didn't really need elective surgery. I was hugely tempted to jump in the car and hunt down the head of that trust so that I could stuff his words down his throat!!!!

Maybe, on reflection, it's health practitioners that need a new vocabulary not employment law. In my view true "elective " surgery is vanity surgery - that is, surgery which has no necessary or desirable medical outcome. Even some, but not most, cosmetic surgery has direct medical benefits - I'm thinking of things like correcting disfigurement. But it is kind of insulting to lump surgery that people medically require with surgery because someone wants to be a 34D, or have a straighter nose.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,255
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Maybe, on reflection, it's health practitioners that need a new vocabulary not employment law. In my view true "elective " surgery is vanity surgery - that is, surgery which has no necessary or desirable medical outcome. Even some, but not most, cosmetic surgery has direct medical benefits - I'm thinking of things like correcting disfigurement. But it is kind of insulting to lump surgery that people medically require with surgery because someone wants to be a 34D, or have a straighter nose.

Surgery to correct disfigurements etc is plastic surgery, not cosmetic surgery! It is annoying when people confuse the two.
  • ReadingTim wrote: »
    My body's pretty dry, and I'm not even dead. If you're experiencing wetness, maybe visit a doctor...?

Christ id hate to be your wife...:D
  • prowla
    Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean! A couple of years ago my hip bone died and crumbled away (No, I didn't know they could do that either!) , and I was in agonising pain to the extent that I was on a level of morphine usually reserved for terminal cancer patients (according to my GP) and was still in agony. I couldn't walk. So I had to have an urgent hip replacement. And it was also "elective ". There was absolutely nothing choice based about it!

Not long after that there was a debate in a nearby health trust about saving money by not performing elective surgeries like hip replacements because people didn't really need elective surgery. I was hugely tempted to jump in the car and hunt down the head of that trust so that I could stuff his words down his throat!!!!

The term "elective" has a specific meaning, but some people are just ignorant of that (including me, before this thread!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure