Wedding suit problems 6 days before wedding.

Hi.
I’m getting married on Monday 19th.
I was measured up & paid for a suit on 23rd October from A Suit That Fits, the Birmingham branch. I paid on visa debit, £900. I had the first fitting November 16th. The trousers didn’t fit well at all. I was told to rearrange at the end of January in case of any weight being gained over the Christmas period. I didn’t gain or lose any weight. I called back but the lady who had measured me had left the company. They couldn’t fit me in until the 15th of February because another member of staff had left, they were now operating once a week in Birmingham instead of 5 days a week. Another lady measured me up again & said the trousers would have to be remade because they were too far out. Assured me they would be done as a priority & guaranteed one or two more fittings before the wedding. After many phone calls, on Friday afternoon they called & asked me to come to London on Monday morning, which was out of the question because of work. They said they were 95% sure they would fit & posted them out. I received them today & they are worse than the original ones, ill fitting, baggy & short. I’ve sent photos via email & I’m waiting for a manager to ring me. The wedding is in 6 days so there is nothing they can do anyway. Am I in my rights to ask for a full refund since the suit was specifically for this event & they had 5 months to have it fitted properly?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    They are clearly not fit for purpose and they have had more than enough time to make th adjustments which they failed to do.

I would write to them IMMEDIATELY stating that the suit is not fit for purpose, they have failed to fit the trousers properly despite many requests (write down the dates of what happened) and tell them that you are returning it for a FULL refund.

Send back fully tracked with proof of delivery.

I would be speaking to your debit card company for a chargeback if the company are not forthcoming with a refund.

Good luck suit hunting.

Ps - £900 on a suit??? Go spend £200 on an M&S one then spend the £700 having a blast with your new wife!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    TSend back fully tracked with proof of delivery
    Making sure of course that you choose a service that will provide compensation for the full £900 should the suit get lost or damaged.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Selfridges in Birmingham offer a personal shopping service, or as above M&S or John Lewis will have plenty of options for you. I think JL offer an adjustments service too.
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    They are clearly not fit for purpose and they have had more than enough time to make th adjustments which they failed to do.

I would write to them IMMEDIATELY stating that the suit is not fit for purpose, they have failed to fit the trousers properly despite many requests (write down the dates of what happened) and tell them that you are returning it for a FULL refund.

Send back fully tracked with proof of delivery.

I would be speaking to your debit card company for a chargeback if the company are not forthcoming with a refund.

Good luck suit hunting.

Ps - £900 on a suit??? Go spend £200 on an M&S one then spend the £700 having a blast with your new wife!

Thank you for your advice.
    £900 is a bloody fortune to spend on a suit, especially for a welder! Nothing off the peg fits. I originally went to Slaters, they tried to fit one 3 times, then said I needed a made to measure one.
    Ex rugby player, 6’2”, 48” chest, 19” neck, 33” waist, 26” thighs. Regular fit allows a 6” difference between your chest & waist, mine is 15”!
    When I go into a shop all I see is ‘slim fit, skinny fit, super skinny fit’ :rotfl:
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    High and Mighty might help . They used to be on smallbrook queensway in Birmingham, no idea if still there. Google tall men's clothing as well for others.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    0121 643 1940 still on smallbrook queensway. High and Mighty.
  • Thank you. I won!!!8217;t be able to get to high & mighty until Thursday & the jacket would definitely need taking in, there!!!8217;s no time left. We!!!8217;re setting off to the venue in the lakes Sunday morning. I decided to get it sorted last October to give them plenty of time to get me in for fittings. Since January there!!!8217;s been nothing but delays, I!!!8217;ve been promised a call back 3 times from a manager today & still nothing. I!!!8217;ve contacted my bank & they!!!8217;ve given me a number to ring if they don!!!8217;t resolve a refund today. I!!!8217;ve got a suit that doesn!!!8217;t fit very well which it looks like I!!!8217;ll end up wearing.
  • I don!!!8217;t know what all those numbers & exclamation marks are about but I didn!!!8217;t type them!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you wear it you may compromise any refund rights.

PS - turn off Smart Punctuation on your iThing.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Pirateboy wrote: »
    Thank you. I won!!!8217;t be able to get to high & mighty until Thursday & the jacket would definitely need taking in, there!!!8217;s no time left. We!!!8217;re setting off to the venue in the lakes Sunday morning.
    You've got time. Buy the best fitting suit you can, find a local seamstress to do the alterations over the weekend. Honestly a bit of taking in won't take a huge amount of time and you've got two days before you need to leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure