PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why does this have to be so stressful?

Comments

• ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its not actually your problem, its their problem, they complete on the 13th or the chain collapses and they dont complete at all. Balls firmly in their court!

Trouble is I think they won't complete at all. We were told when we viewed that their mortgage company was going to repossess (it's a big renovation that went over budget) but then they refinanced, so I don't think they're that bothered about moving any more :(

Cattery can be done for £60 (2 mins walk from new house lol). Can stay with parents although my commute will be awful. Just waiting on removal company costs...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    There's no way I'd sell without buying simultaneously in this situation. I wouldn't trust your sellers not to keep coming up with more obstructions so that 3 days ends up being a lot longer, or you end up not getting the house at all. Its a big risk.

I'd tell them that its either the 13th or its not happening, because you are not willing to risk making yourselves homeless. If they let you pull out they were probably never going to sell to you anyway.

This.^^^^

They sound worrying casual about the whole situation so I'd be concerned that they're having second thoughts and will pull out right before exchange.

You might have to let this one go, unfortunately.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Personally I'd have everyone exchange on 10th and complete the sal eon 13th, purchase on 16th and leave the cats and furniture in the house and stay in a hotel.

We had a rider included in our contract which stated the sellers could store their furniture in the house (specific area) for 3 months. Their solicitor retained £300 for the cost of removing it, which they got back once they removed it. Worked well and got everybody moving.
  • ceh209
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    Personally I'd have everyone exchange on 10th and complete the sal eon 13th, purchase on 16th and leave the cats and furniture in the house and stay in a hotel.

We had a rider included in our contract which stated the sellers could store their furniture in the house (specific area) for 3 months. Their solicitor retained £300 for the cost of removing it, which they got back once they removed it. Worked well and got everybody moving.

Looks like that is what will be happening, except we can stay with my parents to reduce the cost a bit as we will end up paying. Just spoken to our solicitor, she is making one last atetmpt to get our buyers' mortgage company to extend by 3 days, mentioning the snow as extenuating circumstances (which is actually partly true). Will keep you updated!
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    This happened to my daughter. In the end she rented a holiday home for 10 days and put her furniture into store. She managed to get a contribution from other people in the chain and the agents involved cut their fees. It still cost her about £900, but it was cheaper than losing her buyer whose mortgage offer was about to expire.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • ceh209
    Extra removals will cost about £500. Final decision to be made with my OH tonight...
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Rambosmum wrote: »

Ah I didn’t think of that, good solution! Except the 10th is a Saturday so exchange on the 9th!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ceh209 wrote: »
    Yes everyone is ready to exchange, but can't agree a completion date.

Our vendors are aware and are still refusing. I even suggested removal companies who told us they were available (but that was a week ago so may not be now) but they won't even call them. They haven't got any proposed solution, just saying it is our problem :mad:

Our buyers will get a new mortgage offer but at a higher interest rate so they won't be happy, but it's not the end of the world. Both buyer and vendor are apparently desparate to move.

I have just asked the vendor's estate agent to ask them to pay additional costs and he's said they won't.

You have not yet exchanged? I think everything else is moot until you have.
  • aliby21
    aliby21 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Smodlet wrote: »
    You have not yet exchanged? I think everything else is moot until you have.

Well they can't exchange until they have agreed a completion date (or dates if they end up doing sale and purchase completion separately), so not really
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 9:45PM
    Errr noooo. Exchange happens when it happens; completion is dependent on the date agreed upon exchange unless everything I have read on here is BS, which I do not think is the case, unless I am really missing something here, which is entirely possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure