50 ... assume long life and be frugal or open up?

wymondham
wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 25 February 2018 at 6:26PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
Hi All

As the title suggests I'm 50 in March..... time to think about things...

I've got no mortgage, have a nice house, great wife and kids (kids are older and still live at home but that's another story!)

Got my own IT business which I suspect I'll find increasing difficult to keep up with so may need to scale back soon - been lucky its been successful for 7 years and built up a good base.

So now I'm 50 I need to think about things - I can't assume I'll have good health forever so really the question is, do I continue to hoard for that rainy day living a good but uneventful life, or start to splash out a bit? I don't want to look back with regrets...

For example I'd love to buy a share in a narrow boat so we can take longer breaks (I love this but the others need persuading!). I'd also love to stop driving run of the mill cars and get something I really aspire to - a Jag or something! all of these are not really moneysaving, but is moneysaving the whole story when thinking about life?

My mother lived life to the full with amazing world holidays before getting Alzheimer's - now does not know who I am, and my MIL/FIL live in a big house afraid to spend any money, continually scared of life and suffering poor health - never had holidays or anything extravagant, but have each other and lots of regrets about not doing things they wanted to do before poor health struck....

What sort of choices have others made when reaching the big 50 ? any hints/tips/advice?

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    No easy answer. Do what feels right for you. Send the kids on holiday and change the locks
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you find that Crystal Ball...can you lend it to me!!!

It is the age old question isn't it. How many years have you got?

IMO all you can do is take the middle ground. Do some of the things that you consider WANTS, but always make sure that your NEEDS are taken care of. No point being the richest person in the Graveyard (unless you're planning on leaving large inheritance), but then if you live to 105, you don't want to be living on Beans on Toast either.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • you've only go one life...go live it!!!

my husband died at 58 just when we were about to start living life as we wanted to. I then suffered a cardiac arrest and several strokes at 59...

do all you can while you can x
  • missile
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • enator
    enator Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Read this Rowntree report;

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/minimum-income-standards-and-older-pensioners-needs

Bit depressing, bottom line is that it's pretty much over by 72 for an active, healthyish existence :D

So run your budget to that age & you will be fine :p
  • missile
    enator wrote: »

I wonder how much time and money was spent to reach those ... earth shattering conclusions.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    enator wrote: »

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/minimum-income-standards-and-older-pensioners-needs

Bit depressing, bottom line is that it's pretty much over by 72 for an active, healthyish existence :D

So run your budget to that age & you will be fine :p

Good lord, no!

OH will be 75 soon, I am nearly 71. We are still with of life and love travelling, the cinema and theatre as well as lots of activities with U3A.

Our 70s look totally different to those of the previous generation.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    wymondham wrote: »
    Hi All

As the title suggests I'm 50 in March..... time to think about things...

Got my own IT business which I suspect I'll find increasing difficult to keep up with so may need to scale back soon - been lucky its been successful for 7 years and built up a good base.

So now I'm 50 I need to think about things - I can't assume I'll have good health forever so really the question is, do I continue to hoard for that rainy day living a good but uneventful life, or start to splash out a bit? I don't want to look back with regrets...

For example I'd love to buy a share in a narrow boat so we can take longer breaks (I love this but the others need persuading!). I'd also love to stop driving run of the mill cars and get something I really aspire to - a Jag or something! all of these are not really moneysaving, but is moneysaving the whole story when thinking about life?

What sort of choices have others made when reaching the big 50 ? any hints/tips/advice?

Ok, one point at a time. Why will you find it increasingly difficult to keep up and need to scale back? Are you not feeling well now? Do you want to get out of it? I drove a lorry for 32 years, felt fit enough to carry on but was getting bored. I went part time at 55, perhaps you could do that if you are still physically able. I fully retired at 60, still as fit as a fiddle.

You can't assume you will have good health forever. Why not? Maybe not forever, but if you are healthy now and have a positive outlook on life, with healthy eating and exercise, you could go on another 30 years with good health.

Money saving is not the whole story when thinking about life. Balance is important. Balancing what makes you happy with the resources you have. Responsibility is also important, you being responsible for your own actions. If things go pear shape and you made a bad decision, suck it up and carry on. If things turn out hunkydory, celebrate. For instance I thought it was a good idea to buy a catering trailer and set up on an industrial estate. Damn silly idea, what was I thinking, I hated it. Sold trailer, lost £1000. My fault.

I would say don't hoard money, keep enough in an emergency fund. Be realistic about what your priorities are. Do what you want to do while you are still able. That's how I live my life now. Best of luck.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • If you spend more time at home rather than working, there may be more potential for family conflict, particularly if you are lumbered with a part share in a gradually rotting narrowboat which she never wanted in the first place, and which you might not be able to sell. Wouldn't it be better to take her on regular narrowboat holidays or river cruises, perhaps?
    I'd like to have enough in reserve to pay for a new hip or two if ever needed, after recent news scares about the NHS making people wait too long in agony. And more holidays. And taxis for nights out when my eyesight and driving confidence goes. And a replacement conservatory when this one reaches the end of its life. And a gardener. Things not mentioned in that Rowntree Report on the expenses of old age. If you've spare cash after making sure you have provided for your old age, then get the dream car!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 February 2018 at 1:36AM
    Interesting question. And lots of great answers.

Here is my take.

First of all age is just a number.

How you age is down to lifestyle choices. Eat healthily, exercise, keep your brain active, have fun, laugh and love, find your passion in life, learn something new every day and you will age well. That Rowntree report is horribly dated in the way it portrays aging. 70 really is the new 50. Our grandparents were old at 50. We are not. There is no real reason why, with a bit of luck and a bit of effort on our part, we cannot stay healthy well into our 80s and beyond.

However, Arthurian is right you may well need to pay for help or for medical expenses at some point so probably best not to blow all your money on fast cars, boats etc just yet.

I am 67 and retired. I live simply and modestly but very well. I eat well, run a car, wear nice clothes etc and can buy what I want within reason but I do not splash the cash for the sake of it.

Despite having what many would deem a fairly modest retirement income, I still save roughly one third of my net income. The money I save gets split into two pots, some goes to my long term savings, along with my investment income which is reinvested. I have not started drawing that down yet. The rest goes into intermediate savings which I use for special treats such as holidays. I do love to travel and intend to carry on as long as I am able.

(Travel insurance gets very expensive once you hit 80).

I have just come back from a leisurely 6 week holiday in which I visited the Amazon, the Azores and the West Indies. Fabulous. I can do this without depleting my savings because I live what some might call a frugal life but what I would prefer to term a simple life.

Like Ilona says it is all about balance and responsibility. Yes we have to safeguard our financial future but if we are savvy then we can still have plenty of fun as well.

Btw buying a Jaguar is not quite as ridiculous as it may seem, although they are thirsty though. It all depends on the mileage you will be doing. If you are not doing long commutes then it might not break the bank.

My motto.......Life is short. Take the trip, Buy the shoes, Eat the Cake!

As long as you do not leave yourself destitute in your old age. Lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure