We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Clearing an neglected garden

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ish the drink wah makesh me so mellow:D

My neighbour opposite had fifteen years- worth of compost from an acre garden, and his better half deemed it "too weedy and seedy to use". So, got that with my mini tractor and loader, and he even did the work, and serviced my tractor afterwards!

I ended up with the 475th largest hill in Norfolk, of rich, rich compost!

As a ... medium-sized landowner, ish, I can be quite relaxed about others offloading on me, and it helps them enormously but troubles me little.

I've yet to dump stuff on anyone else.... D'ya know anyone that wants bags of asbestos dumped? ;)

Now Gers.... Answers, or we set Kirsty Wark on ya! :p!
  • Apodemus wrote: »
    Is that important?

It is important if the OP doesn't actually own this random "garden in a field across the track from my house" and expends a lot of time, effort and money into upgrading it, only to have it ploughed over by the field's farmer.

Hopefully the OP has checked all this, but it certainly isn't clear from the first description.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 November 2017 at 2:38PM
    Good grief - what a stooshie! And such nosy people too, and ones who have had nothing constructive to offer.

Whether or not I own it is immaterial to the question I asked and the photographs I posted which have been taken from my upstairs window mostly

EITHER

1) I own it all and can do as I like including throwing the garden waste over the broken fence into the same field.

OR

2) I don't own it and have permission to do as I like including throwing the garden waste over the broken fence into the same field.

I'm not sure of the relevance of the question. All the kind people who have offered advice are greatly appreciated and I send you a virtual dram.

DaftyDuck, not scared of Kirsty Wark, if you set James Cosmo on me I may think twice about it. (ME girl BTW)

Today I could usefully own a wee boat to get myself from one side of the 'garden' to the other. The high tide, the heavy rain and the river bursting its banks (again) have not been kind to my field.

I envisage a huge amount of bark come the spring!
  • Gers
    Forumite
    I've decided that I'm going to put up two washing line poles when the garden is done!

The winter sun is so low that it can't reach over the wall of my back garden as it's north facing. There's been bright, but cold, sunshine all day at the front south facing garden.

Putting poles up may be a challenge, wooden ones will rot very quickly, I'll find a solution before spring!
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gers wrote: »
    I've decided that I'm going to put up two washing line poles when the garden is done!

The winter sun is so low that it can't reach over the wall of my back garden as it's north facing. There's been bright, but cold, sunshine all day at the front south facing garden.

Putting poles up may be a challenge, wooden ones will rot very quickly, I'll find a solution before spring!

Hope you’ve got friends up at Ford or Dalmally to catch your washing as it goes past on a windy day!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Gers wrote: »
    Galvanised poles should last a fair time and they weather in not too badly.

Perhaps you have a company like Jacksons Fencing north of the border? They guarantee against rot for 25 years and my experience of their products bears this out.

Local farmers' suppliers might help. Most now do fence posts guaranteed for 15 years or so. Just a question of whether they'll have anything long enough.
  • Gers
    Forumite
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Hope you’ve got friends up at Ford or Dalmally to catch your washing as it goes past on a windy day!

Oh grief! I can just imagine my ‘smalls’ caught on the horns of a Coo!

:j:rotfl:
  • Gers
    Forumite
    Now that Spring is beginning to slowly creep over the top of Winter my thoughts are turning back on the front ‘garden’.

Because of the soggy state of the land the only way to use it is raised beds. The slabs of wood have been cut and waiting.

In a few weeks I’ll have the ground resprayed and then levelled / turned over. Black plastic will go down and then covered with bark.

I’m going to start small and I’m going to try using a seaweed bed for potatoes. There’ll be a herb bed too to support my neighbour chef mostly.

Next important task is a place to sit out watching the sun set. Last summer we had few days when this could happen but I need to snatch the good ones.

No point posting a photo yet as it hasn’t changed much since last time. Just more water! I’m beginning to get excited about it again.
  • Gers
    Forumite
    Yesterday I bought a pot of everlasting sweet peas from W aitrose. These are the no-fragrance ones but the flowers will be lovely. I'm going to plant it next to the honeysuckle bush in the front right hand corner of the plot.

There's already a huge bush of fragranced perennial sweet peas in the hedgerow outside the house which is really lovely.

Because all the weeds were sprayed last year I can now see a huge number of daffs coming through and beginning to 'trumpet' - they were either hidden before or couldn't manage to break through. They'll be staying!

As there is more horrendous weather forecast for this week and next I'm holding back...
  • Gers
    Forumite
    It starts this week! A neighbour is bringing his mini digger along on Wednesday to turn the soil / mud over and get it more level.

Now I need to set my mind to covering the ground.

Do I just use black plastic sheeting or is there a better option?

As for bark...a commercial load? Dumped in a huge pile?

Once again I’d be grateful for some advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure