Previous Landlord refusing to pay back Deposit

Hi,
I have recently moved home (sat 27th), and my previous Landlord is refusing to give me back the deposit I placed when I first moved in. He claims I haven't payed for all the months I was there when I have bank statements proving otherwise, and the proof I payed the deposit. He didn't register the deposit in any of the schemes which I think may be illegal anyway. He claims to be my landlord but not the Landlord of the bloke who moved into the room next to mine, it all sounds very dodgy. I have spoke through his cousin and brother who now say I have to go through him only. I have spoke to him and was agreed he would check the details out and get back to me (never got back to me) so I printed off the proof I had payed for the 12 months I was there as well as the deposit I hand delivered (it to the only address I can reach any of them (on the 31st) a Takeaway below where I used to live) stating that they either pay me the money by cheque or call me so we could sort it out, I haven't heard back. Any advice on what to do next would be greatly received

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    you send a letter before action to the address you have giving them 7 days to repay

after 7 days you go through with your threat and you DO actually take them to court
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    essexblade wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have recently moved home (sat 27th), and my previous Landlord is refusing to give me back the deposit I placed when I first moved in. He claims I haven't payed for all the months I was there when I have bank statements proving otherwise, and the proof I payed the deposit. He didn't register the deposit in any of the schemes which I think may be illegal anyway. He claims to be my landlord but not the Landlord of the bloke who moved into the room next to mine, it all sounds very dodgy. I have spoke through his cousin and brother who now say I have to go through him only. I have spoke to him and was agreed he would check the details out and get back to me (never got back to me) so I printed off the proof I had payed for the 12 months I was there as well as the deposit I hand delivered (it to the only address I can reach any of them (on the 31st) a Takeaway below where I used to live) stating that they either pay me the money by cheque or call me so we could sort it out, I haven't heard back. Any advice on what to do next would be greatly received

Hi EssexBlade - we'd recommend reading our short section on Adviceguide about getting your deposit back. As you'll see from the information there, what your next steps are will depend on the type of tenancy agreement you had and also when you paid the deposit. And we'd suggest getting advice from your local bureau on next steps, and on whether court action is the way forward.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure